The Student Room Group

Uni firm and insurance choice dilema

[INDENT]Any advice would be much appreciated. My daughters favourite uni happens to be the one with the lowest grade requirements. BCC. Delighted to say she has an offer for this one. All her other choices have higher grade requirements. BBB or BBC.
Is there, therefore any merit in putting an insurance choice down or should she just go ahead and accept her first choice as her firm which is her favourite anyway. What are the pros and cons of not putting an insurance

Her course requires her to attend interviews , so I just wondered if there is a point to attending any more interviews when she has an offer with her favourite[/INDENT]

Yes, there is merit in putting down a 'higher' insurance choice. Say she gets BBD or even ABD. Her favourite BCC uni might reject her because the D means she has failed her offer and they are full up with applicants who have met theirs. If she had an insurance of BBC, she could be accepted by that uni if they have places available. However, she should only accept such a place if she is sure she wants to study there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Happyrunner
Any advice would be much appreciated. My daughters favourite uni happens to be the one with the lowest grade requirements. BCC. Delighted to say she has an offer for this one. All her other choices have higher grade requirements. BBB or BBC.
Is there, therefore any merit in putting an insurance choice down or should she just go ahead and accept her first choice as her firm which is her favourite anyway. What are the pros and cons of not putting an insurance

Her course requires her to attend interviews , so I just wondered if there is a point to attending any more interviews when she has an offer with her favourite

Like the other poster said, she should still put down an insurance, even if the offer is higher than her firm. If she gets ACD then her firm university might still reject her because of the D, even though her offer was for BCC. However if this does happen there is still a chance her insurance choice will accept her even though she never met the grades.
Up to her I suppose. There is always the possibility (slim, but possible) that her firm will reject her and the insurance will give her a revised offer even though their initial requirements were higher. (Maybe they end up short on applicants or something like that). It's unlikely but not impossible and extra practice with interviews will be useful when applying for a job/placement.
Duh. The point of an insurance is so you can go somewhere else in case things go tits up...
Tbh the BCC course will probably be flexible and let her in with lower anyway. She could put a higher offer as her insurance but it's probably pointless. My advice would be to put her favourite as her firm choice and reject the others. Then just work for the rest of the year t get BCC which should be fairly easily achievable since she applied to unis with higher grade requirements than that.
She cannot enter a Firm and Insurance until she has decisions on all 5 choices so you have nothing to loose by attending the interviews. Too many applicants make decisions without thinking out all the consequences of that decision - there will be a rash of 'I've made the wrong Firm decision' threads here around March as clear evidence of that simple fact.

Visit the other Unis. She needs to be fully aware of what she is turning away, they are not just names on a list but real alternatives to what she currently has her heart set on.

Both you and she may also like to read this - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending