The Student Room Group

OCR AS Biology (F211) - May 2014

The exam is a few months away yet, but I thought it would be good just to have a thread for any questions/help e.t.c

Talk Away :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Ooooh, I think this is a good idea! :smile: Will there be one for F212 as well?
These threads just remind me how soon the exams actually are :eek:

How are we all finding AS biology?
Reply 3
I'm sitting this one too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I feel like its all just remembering it all, however, when it comes to the exam, its all application and completely throws you off. Ive just started off with a little revising, going to need it!
Reply 5
Original post by smozsolution
These threads just remind me how soon the exams actually are :eek:

How are we all finding AS biology?

I feel like its all just remembering it all, however, when it comes to the exam, its all application and completely throws you off. Ive just started off with a little revising, going to need it!
Original post by wallbanks

Same, I'm quite nervous about it all. I'm fine understanding the content but I struggle to apply what I've learnt.

I've been making colourful notes and flashcards as I go along but I'll probably step it up a bit this half term.
Reply 7
I'm finding it a bit hard, it's easy work but so much to read and digest!
I know - it scares me knowing that I only have three months and a bit left :unimpressed:

I'll try and start recapping F211 during the February half-term, and work onwards from there. Though knowing me, I will actually start around late March/early April. What about you?
Our school have started teaching F212 only a couple weeks ago, so I'm rather worried about getting everything done and in time for revision/past papers. So far, I'm only going through class notes, along with the official text book and using this book as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Revise-AS-Biology-Edition/dp/0435583700/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391635042&sr=8-3&keywords=ocr+as+biology

My friends use this book and they say it is really good, but I don't have a copy of it myself:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Biology-OCR-Student/dp/1847627897/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1391634933&sr=8-4&keywords=biology+ocr+as

Have you started revision for F212? How far along are you in the course?
Reply 10
We have completed all of F211 an shave done Carbs, proteins, lipids and water
You seem to be ahead a lot more than my school are! Did you start F212 content before the Christmas holidays? Your plan seems like a good idea, and I see what you mean about not starting past papers until fully finishing the content.

F212, for me, is a lot easier than F211 (so far, at least!). I do chemistry, so the biochemistry things are quite fun and the Food module I can apply/relate to in everyday situations, hence making it easier to revise for.

As for other A-Levels, I'm doing chemistry, physics and maths alongside the biology. I do agree with you - it seems a LOT harder to get good grades in AS, and biology has definitely been the biggest jump for me. :s-smilie:What about you? Which other subjects are you doing at the moment? Are you enjoying them?
Reply 12
Anyone done the enzymes isa yet? For f212

Posted from TSR Mobile
You must have a good memory, studying biology AND history. Good luck with dentistry, I hear it is very competitive!

For chemistry, I am also on Edexcel. Oddly enough, I also have an assessed practical tomorrow :gasp: Good luck with yours :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try to do that if I find the time! I'm quite shocked at the fact its almost February half-term. I can now see what everyone means when they say AS flies by so quick :s-smilie:

I'm aiming to start F211 revision and past papers during the half-term, with F212 papers starting in late March or early April, depending on the time I have :redface:
Thank you! :smile:

So far, I'm loving AS Chemistry - it's my favourite subject! The George Facer book is fantastic too, and so is chemguide!

Your technique of reading ahead sounds really good, I guess it makes it easier for you in the long run. For me, revision is basically reading over class notes and past papers nearer the time. For physics and maths, I do as many questions as I can get a hold of. Unit 1 in chemistry was quite easy, so I got away with doing little revision - more time to learn the dreaded biology facts! On top of all that memorisation, we have to apply our knowledge to the questions they give in the exams. :confused: I hope we do well too!

Physics is just... hard. :frown: Our school does the dreaded Advancing Physics course and there are little to no resources for it as the content is more modern. How are history and maths? Which modules do you do for maths?
Yeah, it is - it would be nice if the biology papers were easier to relieve us of a little stress! Yep, you're lucky you didn't pick it - so much effort just to grasp the lesson content :frown:

You've only just come back from school? The Extended Project must be hard! Have you chosen a topic for yours?

Good luck with your history - five hours seems like a lot :eek:
Reply 16
I have been waiting for one of these threads to be made!

How did everyone do in their mocks? Especially for F211?

Biology is hard. I'm doing OCR for Biology, Chemistry and Physics, so I'm really use to OCR!

What are people's coursework marks like?
I finished this unit today :smile:. Just got constant revising so i can get that A or A* grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Cool! That's really good! Do you remember me from your Dentistry thread? Back then I was thinking about Dentistry but now I have switched to medicine. :colondollar:

I've got 1A* and 5 As in my Jan mocks.

7 people got As in my year including me; 52/60. Most people passed though in my school.

Seriously?! You haven't started the coursework?!

I do all sciences and maths; I'm finishing maths this year and hope to study FM next year to AS.
Havent finidhed it yet. F211 took us from begining of year but we did part of F211 and went to F212 and back to F211 so i dont know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest