The Student Room Group

Referred for urgent MRI scan - anyone know how long I'll be waiting?

Anon as I'm quite private about health issues.

I'd greatly appreciate any insight into how long I may be waiting for an appointment. My GP marked it as an urgent referral as I've lost consciousness several times within the last nine months and the last time it felt like I was fitting... Have been feeling headachey and light-headed and/or nauseous since it happened, so I'm getting kinda worried!

Should I contact my doc again if I haven't at least received an appointment letter within a week of seeing her?

Thanks!
Hmmm, urgent referrals where cancer is suspected have a 2 week wait cap, but I assume this isn't one of those. The other hard-cap is the 18 week wait for non-urgent referrals for consultant led care. My guess would be somewhere in between those. How long have you been waiting so far? Waiting two weeks in light of the urgent cancer referral time limit seems reasonable.
Reply 2
Okay, thanks. Cancer wasn't mentioned by the doc as a possibility (nor was a benign tumour) but she did suggest epilepsy. I think my referrals (MRI, appointment with a neurologist, 24-hour EGC test and blood tests) have been made to just rule out the scary stuff, when there's probably (hopefully!) a more innoccuous cause.

I don't mind waiting a few weeks to be seen; I just want to know WHEN I'll be seen, if that makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest