The Student Room Group

Intermediate Maths Challenge - 2014

Is anyone doing this on Thursday? I really want to get into the Hamilton Olympiad this year, I have on all the practice papers I've done, but I'm worried that I'm going to mess up on the day! :frown: Anyone got any tips? x :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i have it tomorrow as well! I'm so nervous :frown: i really want to get in as well but I always panic :frown: good luck, shall we discuss our answers tomorrow haha?
Hey, I'm doing it tomorrow too! Good you luck to you both, I'm sure we'll all do brilliantly. :wink:
I'm doing it too, is it kind of sad that I'm looking forward to it :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
thanks! good luck to you :smile: i did really bad and got a silver last year :'( i wanted much higher haha hopefully it will be easy with low boundaries

Average boundaries in last 6 years

Bronze = 45
Silver = 57
Gold = 73
Reply 5
Does anyone know when/where the solutions are posted?
Thanks very much
How did everyone find it? I got 99, which isn't probably won't be good enough for the Mclaurin. Hopefully I get put in anyway. How did you all do?
Original post by youcanttrackthis
How did everyone find it? I got 99, which isn't probably won't be good enough for the Mclaurin. Hopefully I get put in anyway. How did you all do?

Is 99 just an estimate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
No If you compare Q's with other ppl then you know what you got right pretty much. I got 106 hoping to be best in school twice in a row. Only got 82 last year and was still best in school so yeah 106/135 should be.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
From what I know atm I got 123. I probably did get less though. Anyone got a comprehensive lost of answers?
The last circle question (about cutting it) and the same digits questions stumped me, but I think I got the rest :smile: Anyone got any answers for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The same digits was 62x72=4464 I worked it out by calculating how many numbers in 1000-1999 then multiplying by 9 as they would all follow the same rule, and the cutting the circle one was pi-1/pi because if you assume the diameter of the circle was 1, then the circumference would equal pi, and so the length of the arc of the sector would have to be pi-1 as the sector is made up of the arc and 2 radii (which equals one of the diameter) therefore pi-1+1 = pi
Im in year 9 and I think I got 96. Is that enough for the olympiad?
Also, when will the answers come out for this paper??
Thank you in advance :smile:
So what did everyone put for Q23 24 and 25? Those really confused me , I didn't answer them
I know now that the one that was when 8 ^ m = 27, 4 ^ m = ... was 9 because you do. 4 ^ log8(27), but did anyone have a definite way of working that in the paper other than by estimating?
Original post by emily12344321
So what did everyone put for Q23 24 and 25? Those really confused me , I didn't answer them

For 25 I worked out the grid coordinate relative to the center for the 2 points on the graph. (they were (sqr0.5,sqr0.5) and (0,2)) Then I worked out the distance between the two points.
Original post by letmethink
I know now that the one that was when 8 ^ m = 27, 4 ^ m = ... was 9 because you do. 4 ^ log8(27), but did anyone have a definite way of working that in the paper other than by estimating?

8^(2/3)=4, so you do 27^(2/3) :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
8 = 2^3
27 = 3^3
so (2^3)^m = 3^3
and as 4 = 2^2
(2^2)^m = 3^2 = 9
Original post by emily12344321

which ones were they?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending