The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am in year 11 and I just applied, I think it will be a really good experience.
Today is the last day for the discount..i think that you really should..hurry though yh? I have only heard positive review from everyone...im oding it this year..CAN'T WAITTT!!!

Hope you join!
You're going to think i'm crazy but i did it and absolutely hated it. Mostly cos i have Aspergers Syndrome and am not great socially and i dont like being in unfamilliar situations. my parents made me do it tho :frown:
you're going to think im crazy but i did it and absolutely hated it. (Mostly cos i have Aspergers and am not very good socially) my parents made me do it though.
I think it was great. Nobody knows what year every one else is in but some people were in sixth form. Apply :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It sounds like a great opportunity. Only heard positive things about it so it should be great - sign up already :biggrin:
Reply 7
I did it and it was awful, most disorganised thing I've ever been to, graduation 'ceremony' was horrific, in a tiny crowded room with no speeches planned, the leaders didn't even know what we'd been doing for our community projects, just the lack of organisation was appalling really. We couldn't get in touch with our leaders during our project to update them and ask things, and once they asked us to sign up for a bag pack, told us THE DAY BEFORE where it was and what time, and then we went and they weren't there. Not one of them.
So I disliked it greatly, but now I have a certificate, and for that it was worth it as I can say that I've done it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by OhhNo
I did it and it was awful, most disorganised thing I've ever been to, graduation 'ceremony' was horrific, in a tiny crowded room with no speeches planned, the leaders didn't even know what we'd been doing for our community projects, just the lack of organisation was appalling really. We couldn't get in touch with our leaders during our project to update them and ask things, and once they asked us to sign up for a bag pack, told us THE DAY BEFORE where it was and what time, and then we went and they weren't there. Not one of them.
So I disliked it greatly, but now I have a certificate, and for that it was worth it as I can say that I've done it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did u do it?
Reply 9
Original post by cheerupgrrl5:)
When did u do it?

November 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile

see yh...that was the autumn ones...the ncs with the challenge fr year 11 happen in the summer...so its most likely dfferent for many reons..I believe its jst ur experience:undefined:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
NCS is a great program. I personally advise anyone to join. it was a lot of fun and i am still involved. i just cant get enough of it. i also done the program in sixth form and there is nothing wrong with that. you will diffidently enjoy your time there. i hope that you join and have a great time.
I did it this summer and I loved it. I think it's great if you know someone doing it as well and plus you meet loads of great people and make new friends.
The first week was the hardest but I think that's just cos I'm not really an outdoor person.
I think you should do it, it takes a lot of courage and confidence and you learn so much. Also it looks good on your CV.
NCS was the best experience of my life!!! I've met some truly lifelong friends and took part in the most breath taking once in a lifetime opportunities. If I hadn't have signed up,I seriously would have had big regrets! DO IT IN SUMMER IT'S FAB!!!!!!
Most of you would suggest doing it then?? I just applied but I am so nervous about meeting and being around new people.
I wasn't a fan of NCS, as said above the organisation of events and other such things was horrific. As well as this, the skills they had planned were damned awful: for entrepreneurship (skill) you'd think you would meet someone who would be worth keeping in contact with, someone who knew about business.. We met a library assistant and were told to design a 'product' purely based on entertainment for ages 0-11 (they meant a day of storytelling).

Other than the skills, if you don't mind being camped up with some immature boys/ girls, then go for it! I was a year older when doing NCS and really wasn't a fan of the boys my age who didn't know how to make a bed, cook pasta (PASTA!), set a table or any other basic command. I feel like the society is cast in to groups when you join: I.e when you join secondary school (kids who think they're cool, computer nerds, mature older boring people, etc.)

I'd say it's great to get involved if you want to learn new skills and potentially be more hostile in making friends but be prepared for: lack of freedom, lots of rules, lots of patronising adults and cruddy organisational skills. Ps. Compliment the chef and help her out, you'll get the nicer meals and portions.
do it when youre in year 11, that's when most people do it
I did NCS last summer and I regret it.

The team leader did not know how to handle the loud personalities so they basically ran the group which was horrible as they weren't the smartest and if you disagreed with them they ganged up on you. Arguments were allowed to escalate and staff didn't intervene. There was one boy in my group who was racist and sexist but received no warnings for any of the rude things he said yet they still dished out warnings if you were outside your door past 'bedtime'. This along with other problems syxortrak has mentioned made it an bad experience.

However, most of my friends did it earlier in the summer and enjoyed it so I may of just been unlucky but after that dreadful experience I wouldn't personally recommend it.
Original post by Anonymous
I did NCS last summer and I regret it.

The team leader did not know how to handle the loud personalities so they basically ran the group which was horrible as they weren't the smartest and if you disagreed with them they ganged up on you. Arguments were allowed to escalate and staff didn't intervene. There was one boy in my group who was racist and sexist but received no warnings for any of the rude things he said yet they still dished out warnings if you were outside your door past 'bedtime'. This along with other problems syxortrak has mentioned made it an bad experience.

However, most of my friends did it earlier in the summer and enjoyed it so I may of just been unlucky but after that dreadful experience I wouldn't personally recommend it.

Same here! My friends were together and had a better experience than me. The place we were at was horrific
Do it! I did it last year and enjoyed it so much. As someone who doesn't usually go out of their comfort zone it was difficult at first but everyone's in the same boat; no one knows anyone and that's what makes it so great cos when you're put into groups there's 11 different people to get to know! And you're bound to get on with some of them. It seems that there is some regional differences in how organised the scheme was. Mine was based in Surrey and was super organised but i don't know about other areas. The first week is scary but fun, getting to try lots of different activities and we got to spend the week in Weymouth which was really nice. Go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending