The Student Room Group

What kind of car can I get for £5K?

I am thinking of a 2011~ Seat Ibiza?

I am a man, btw.

It has been a while since I last bought a car, please don't tell me prices have gone up too much (my last one was only £3K)
Reply 1
You would be doing extremely well to get a 2011 reg for under £5,000 (unless it's got high mileage). More realistically you could probably get a really nice 2004-2006 Ibiza for about £3-£4k.
Reply 2
Why don't you put the money towards a down payment on a Mercedes A-Klasse or similar, look into leasing too.

You can get a few 1.4 2011 Seat Ibiza's so you may be in luck although mileage is on the high side :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by tehFrance
Why don't you put the money towards a down payment on a Mercedes A-Klasse or similar, look into leasing too.

You can get a few 1.4 2011 Seat Ibiza's so you may be in luck although mileage is on the high side :frown:

If that's the new shape A-Class, the old one was absolutely disgusting and a blemish on the name of Mercedez-Benz.
Reply 4
Original post by Ggmu!
If that's the new shape A-Class, the old one was absolutely disgusting and a blemish on the name of Mercedez-Benz.

Why would I suggest putting a down payment on an old A-Klasse? :lolwut:
Reply 5
Original post by tehFrance
Why would I suggest putting a down payment on an old A-Klasse? :lolwut:

Good point :wink:
Buying a car on finance or leasing one is the daftest thing you can ever do. Good luck if you choose that route and if you get burnt its your own fault.

You're much better off buying a slightly older car outright.
Reply 7
Original post by SpermOnAMission
Buying a car on finance or leasing one is the daftest thing you can ever do. Good luck if you choose that route and if you get burnt its your own fault.

Leasing isn't such a bad option providing you have a steady income and don't enter into anything unrealistic.

It's one of the most common forms of car buying, particularly in America
Reply 8
Autotrader has 117,660 cars available for £5000. Take your pick, or give us some useful information.
Reply 9
Original post by Lampoon
Leasing isn't such a bad option providing you have a steady income and don't enter into anything unrealistic.

It's one of the most common forms of car buying, particularly in America

Not the cleverest thing to do.
Well... unless you enjoy pissing money away.
Reply 10
Original post by JC.

There are people who motor on a shoestring, and there are those who like to be in the nicest metal. If it wasn't for the latter, the former would have nothing to spend their money on.

A good lease deal can be a smart move on a new car if you shop around as it would cost you less than the depreciation and you don't have to take such a financial hit. If you like spending as little money as possible and stick to older second hand cars you're never going to agree with that.

If you have a spare £400 disposable income every month, you can have a brand new, fully maintained flash car that you can replace every 2-4 years. Some people don't mind paying for that convenience.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FXX
There are people who motor on a shoestring

That's me lol. Bought my Vectra for £650 on 144k back in July. Now on 159k and still going strong lol. Get's 100 miles to a tenner on the motorway too, so all good in the hood haha.
Reply 12
Original post by FXX
There are people who motor on a shoestring, and there are those who like to be in the nicest metal. If it wasn't for the latter, the former would have nothing to spend their money on.

A good lease deal can be a smart move on a new car if you shop around as it would cost you less than the depreciation and you don't have to take such a financial hit. If you like spending as little money as possible and stick to older second hand cars you're never going to agree with that.

If you have a spare £400 disposable income every month, you can have a brand new, fully maintained flash car that you can replace every 2-4 years. Some people don't mind paying for that convenience.

That £400 a month covers the depreciation.

Like I said, if you enjoy pissing money away...
Original post by JC.
That £400 a month covers the depreciation.

Like I said, if you enjoy pissing money away...

I have to agree.
Plus- (unless you manage to get 0% finance)- you end up spending a lot more on the car if you buy it on finance due to the interest that's on top.
Original post by SpermOnAMission

To you maybe but not everyone wants to own a second hand car, personally I lease one and own another outright both are Mercedes which were bought brand new. To you I may indeed be a fool but for my needs, it suits me rather well.
Reply 15
Original post by JC.

If you want to own a brand new car, with a warranty and often full maintenance, for around three to four years then leasing can be an attractive option.

Obviously it will never be as cost effective as buying a 5 to 10 year old car and running it for a decade or so, but some people don't want to do that.
Reply 16
Original post by Lampoon
If you want to own a brand new car, with a warranty and often full maintenance, for around three to four years then leasing can be an attractive option.

Obviously it will never be as cost effective as buying a 5 to 10 year old car and running it for a decade or so, but some people don't want to do that.

Personally, if you want a new car then I think you need to be prepared to stick with it for a bit. The amount you lose in depreciation in the first 3 years easily surpasses something bought @ 3 years old and run for 10 more.

People get sewn in to finance. At the end of the 3 year period most finance customers haven't got enough money spare to raise to buy a car outright so they are obliged to sign a new finance agreement.

Personally, I don't like either method. I'd rather buy something at the right price, run it for 3 months, move it on and hopefully realise a price good enough to offset any insurance fuel and maintenance that I've had to lay out on. At one point I went through enough cars quickly enough that I never did an oil change for 3 years!

Nothing wrong with buying a new car - someone's got to. However, being on the 3 year cycle is utterly stupid.
It's horses for courses, finance can be great if you can afford it, get a good deal and don't do a massive amount of miles.

Personally, I'd never touch it as I want something to be paid for outright, do too many miles for a PCP and don't want the extra £150-400 a month on 'normal' finance when I could be spending it on petrol/hookers/drugs/guns etc rather than funding depreciation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending