The Student Room Group

Is it rare to get a first in your first year at uni?

I'm in my second semester in my first year, and so far I've done four assignments. I got a 3rd in one, a 2:2 in another and in the other two I got 2:1s. I haven't got a single first yet, and I don't know anybody that has! I'm trying my hardest to do a lot of wider reading and put a lot of effort into my assignments but I'm still missing out on firsts. Is it generally unheard of to get firsts in assignments during first year?
I know my first year doesn't count, but I got A*A*A*C at college so I'm starting to worry that I'm not as smart as I thought! Seems silly I know, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist!
Original post by lucybuckleyy
I'm in my second semester in my first year, and so far I've done four assignments. I got a 3rd in one, a 2:2 in another and in the other two I got 2:1s. I haven't got a single first yet, and I don't know anybody that has! I'm trying my hardest to do a lot of wider reading and put a lot of effort into my assignments but I'm still missing out on firsts. Is it generally unheard of to get firsts in assignments during first year?
I know my first year doesn't count, but I got A*A*A*C at college so I'm starting to worry that I'm not as smart as I thought! Seems silly I know, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist!

First year is a learning curve, it's just designed to get everyone's knowledge and understanding to the same level, and to teach you how to work at university level. It would be silly to expect to go from A-level to undergrad and be able to do just as well. Marking criteria at undergrad is quite different, and a lot more is expected of you. Not getting firsts in your first year doesn't really have any baring on how 'smart' you are, in the grand scheme of things.

Take on board the feedback that you're given, read journal articles regularly (where relevant), keep trying hard and everything will fall into place eventually :smile:
Reply 2
I don't know specifically how rare it is, but generally speaking you do better the longer the course goes on and most people find third year they do best. As the above poster said, first year is a learning curve and it's about getting the hang of it. In first year I remember thinking I knew what I was doing but looking back there is a lot to learn about the way to write and things like that. I can't give you tips on getting a first though because I haven't had many.

Don't worry about it in first year. It has no baring on whether or not you can get a first overall.
Original post by Sakura-Chan
First year is a learning curve, it's just designed to get everyone's knowledge and understanding to the same level, and to teach you how to work at university level. It would be silly to expect to go from A-level to undergrad and be able to do just as well. Marking criteria at undergrad is quite different, and a lot more is expected of you. Not getting firsts in your first year doesn't really have any baring on how 'smart' you are, in the grand scheme of things.

Take on board the feedback that you're given, read journal articles regularly (where relevant), keep trying hard and everything will fall into place eventually :smile:

So why the hell does my uni make our first year worth 10% of the overall degree...
Original post by mentallysound
So why the hell does my uni make our first year worth 10% of the overall degree...

What uni are you at?

At most places, first year doesn't count at all, and most people totally slack off because they know they only need to pass the year (40%). Maybe it's to scare you all into doing some work :iiam:
Yeah it's not worth worrying about to be honest, it's a learning process and as long as you're putting the effort in now you'll be capable of a first by Year 3. I know in first year I got firsts - because I basically cheated and spent my gap year learning how to write essays from my family friend who works as a lecturer in my subject :innocent:

But if I'd gone straight in I would probably have gotten 2:2s. There's a huge jump. Even then I messed up an exam and got 40%, it's alot to adopt at once :yep:
Original post by Sakura-Chan
What uni are you at?

At most places, first year doesn't count at all, and most people totally slack off because they know they only need to pass the year (40%). Maybe it's to scare you all into doing some work :iiam:

QMUL

I know LSE has it's first year worth 1/9 of the overall degree aswell for certain subjects.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies, I know first year's a learning curve and a year to adjust into a new learning style :biggrin: I was speaking to a friend who is studying History at Lancaster and she said she got 69% on an essay and was told it was perfect, which made me wonder if universities are just reluctant to give firsts out to first years? Which is kinda unfair, if a piece of work is deserving of a first, it should get a first imo :rolleyes:
Original post by lucybuckleyy
Thanks for the replies, I know first year's a learning curve and a year to adjust into a new learning style :biggrin: I was speaking to a friend who is studying History at Lancaster and she said she got 69% on an essay and was told it was perfect, which made me wonder if universities are just reluctant to give firsts out to first years? Which is kinda unfair, if a piece of work is deserving of a first, it should get a first imo :rolleyes:

If it was perfect, she wouldn't have got 69% :tongue:

I highly doubt any university would withhold high marks on the basis of you being in your first year.
I got a first in first year and was rank#37 in my cohort, so wouldn't say it's uncommon/unheard of...depends where/what you're doing though I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending