The Student Room Group

Wales legalisation on organ donation. What do you guys think

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Algorithm69
You do understand that consent is presumed while you're still alive, don't you? Do you honestly believe the State has any moral or ethical right to presume your consent on anything? This really rubs me the wrong way and, looking at the comments in that article, has rubbed many others the wrong way too. Oh but it'll save a few more lives a year. 50 I believe was the estimate. Hope it's worth it!

As for your graveyard 'analogy', it's a completely different issue that are not comparable in the slightest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why shouldn't it have a right? People are still being given a choice.

There are many medical procedures which normally require the patient's consent first. However, if it's an emergency and the patient hasn't specifically said they don't want to be treated, the doctors will generally presume consent anyway. Since the patient is still alive and still can make use of their body, how is that more acceptable than presuming consent to remove the organs from a corpse that's otherwise useless to anyone?
It's fantastic and will save countless lives.
Original post by Algorithm69
The government stating they own your organs until you specifically tell them otherwise is a pretty big encroachment on individual liberty if you ask me. There are many more ways to increase organ donors without going the way of Big Brother.

What other ways are there? Most people wouldn't bother due to laziness. Think of how many lives will be saved. I really don't care what happens to my body after I die.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending