The Student Room Group

Which website do you buy your train tickets from (for cheap)?

Just wondering if booking through a website other than nationalrail is worth the effort. If yes, which website?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
trainline :smile:
Reply 2
red spotted hankey
use national rail dont charge fees unlike trainline and the alike charge 50p or a £1
Reply 4
Original post by lilac_glitter
use national rail dont charge fees unlike trainline and the alike charge 50p or a £1

NR only directs you to a ticket selling site.
DO NOT use thetrainline - it is more expensive 99.9% of the time.

Use red spotted hanky as it gives points that can be used for vouchers.
I normally use East coast for loyalty points. the can be used for free east coast travel.

Every site sells tickets at the same price, although some operators my have deals if you use their own site.
Reply 5
Virgin Trains
Reply 6
Thetrainline.com (I also got a rail card cheap so the cost is probably what we'd like it to be at the normal price).
Reply 7
Just don't buy a ticket and see if you can get away with it... Stare the conductors out and let them know who's the boss.
Reply 8
Original post by Hugs31
Thetrainline.com (I also got a rail card cheap so the cost is probably what we'd like it to be at the normal price).

Oh hey you have a rail card.

How did you get it?

I do a lot of traveling and am thinking about getting one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by woztar

How did you get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, well I got an NUS card free with a student account and with that I got a 20% discount on a 16-25 rail card. You can buy one here http://www.railcard.co.uk/?gclid=CO7cl6f6xrwCFUjItAodQBsAvQ.
I always went by coach to travel before then because it was cheaper but with a rail card it does make a difference and so I travel by train now so I do recommend getting one because it takes up to a third off the price. I'm learning to drive though so by the time my rail card expires at the latest I should have passed (two times, hopefully third time lucky rings true).
Reply 10
Redspottedhanky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by woztar

How did you get it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a rail card to Id recommend it, made my money back on it in two journeys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought all sites sold tickets at the same price. I don't understand why anyone would use thetrainline... With it's booking fee. I use Crosscountry trains for mine... I used to use first great Western but they did something to the website and it's too complicated now!
Reply 13
Original post by gemmam
I have a rail card to Id recommend it, made my money back on it in two journeys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I a bit confused and would appreciate your help.

I need to get to Flockton and am near Mirfield Train Station.

Who should I get there because I have been trying to search the near train stations and I think the closest is Mirfield.

It about a 2 hour walk from mirfield to flockton and I cant travel by car. :frown:
red spotted hanky! if you have a tesco clubcard you can exchange the vouchers for rsh vouchers and use spend them there
Reply 15
Try and look for a RedSpottedHanky voucher. They recently (about 2/3 days ago) had a £10 off voucher for students with a valid .ac.uk via StudentBeans.

I got my voucher with The Sun+ perks (£1 trial payment, £9.50 voucher + £10 TopCashBack)
Reply 16
Original post by woztar
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Who should I get there because I have been trying to search the near train stations and I think the closest is Mirfield.

It about a 2 hour walk from mirfield to flockton and I cant travel by car. :frown:

I dont know either of those areas sorry, do you know the name of the local bus company? If so maybe see if theres a bus service?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by woztar
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Try http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Home.aspx :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by gemmam
I dont know either of those areas sorry, do you know the name of the local bus company? If so maybe see if theres a bus service?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do . Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending