The Student Room Group

How do you cover living expenses while studying in the Netherlands?

Hi there, could any students that study in the Netherlands currently tell me how they manage to fund themselves through their studies? As far as I'm aware, there is no student financial support other than getting a loan for tuition fees? :confused: I really want to go but it is unrealistic unless I can get a student loan of some sort for my living expenses

(I want to apply to PPLE at the University of Amsterdam, anyone doing the course would be a God send!)
Reply 1
Original post by luckbandit
Hi there, could any students that study in the Netherlands currently tell me how they manage to fund themselves through their studies? As far as I'm aware, there is no student financial support other than getting a loan for tuition fees? :confused: I really want to go but it is unrealistic unless I can get a student loan of some sort for my living expenses

(I want to apply to PPLE at the University of Amsterdam, anyone doing the course would be a God send!)

If you are a EU/EEA citizen and have been living in the EU/EEA for at least the last five years, you may be eligible for some need-based financial aid -- that is, you might get a certain amount of money per month depending on how much your parents earn.

For additional expenses, you will need to undertake employement. The government normally recommends 58 hours of work per month.
Reply 2
Original post by Superboy
If you are a EU/EEA citizen and have been living in the EU/EEA for at least the last five years, you may be eligible for some need-based financial aid -- that is, you might get a certain amount of money per month depending on how much your parents earn.

For additional expenses, you will need to undertake employement. The government normally recommends 58 hours of work per month.

Would you know where to find out if I may be able to get this support?
Reply 3
My advice is, if you want to stay in the black, stay away from coffee shops..
Reply 4
Original post by Apocrypha
My advice is, if you want to stay in the black, stay away from coffee shops..

???
Reply 5
Would you know where to find out if I may be able to get this support?

Yes, you can find out the information here: http://www.duo.nl/particulieren/deurmat/service/rekenhulpen/rekenhulp-berekenen-studiefinanciering.asp

Unfortunately, the website is only available in Dutch. If you want I can give you an estimate if you PM me (I can speak Dutch).

I really want to apply for this course too! Have you applied yet? Also, the course is new for Sept 2014 so unfortunately you won't find anyone who is already doing it. :frown:
Reply 7
I applied to PPLE at UvA :smile: still haven't heard from them .....
Original post by vide
I applied to PPLE at UvA :smile: still haven't heard from them .....

Where are you from :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by i-love-coffee
Where are you from :smile:

Italy! You? Have you applied yet?
Original post by vide
Italy! You? Have you applied yet?

No not yet, I really like the course but I can't decide whether I want to study abroad or not. I love travelling, but I don't know if I want to feel like a 'foreigner/tourist' for three years if that makes sense?
Original post by Juichiro
???

Are you asking about the expression 'in the black'? If so, that poster meant financially stable vs. 'in the red' - traditionally sums in black ink are positive, debts are written in red.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending