The Student Room Group

Is it bad to think gay is wrong?

i was brought up catholic, so obviously they do not support it. I dont do anything about it, i do nt support it and thats it really. But what i cant understand how those who support gays can turn around and attack me due to what my religion says. Im curious what use believe about this :smile:

Scroll to see replies

As long as you keep it to yourself, then that's your belief.

Edit: I'm not saying that he does not have the right to free speech. It's just mean to go around saying offensive things for no reason.

I do think you ought to consider why you think that way, though. 'I was brought up that way' is a bit of a poor reason.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm not religious, nor do I believe being gay is 'wrong'. I think you love who you love, whether that's the same sex or not!

I also don't think it's wrong to think being gay is wrong. Everyone has different beliefs and that's fine. Although I do think, if you're going to make those beliefs known and offensive or hurtful to anyone, then it becomes wrong.

Some things are better kept to yourself. Say for example you were gay, that doesn't affect me what-so-ever, so I don't really care or give it second thought?

If everyone kept their opinions to themselves and focused on their own lives and issues, a lot of this hate or conflict wouldn't exist.
its your opinion and it should be respected by others but others will have theirs too
Reply 4
It's okay to think that being gay is different, or that it is not for you. But thinking that it is actively wrong isn't fair on those people who have no choice in the matter.

Blaming it on your religion is effectively saying that your religious beliefs trump their legal and human rights, and that isn't acceptable, either morally or to the law.

Personally I think that religion should be about tolerance - I hate it when it turns into teaching people who to hate. I was always particularly proud of a vicar at a Church near me who held GLBT friendly church services. Yay for his kind of religion!
(edited 10 years ago)
You are entitled to your own opinion whether or not we agree or disagree. Just as long as your beliefs are not forced on others
Reply 6
It's bad to think it's wrong, but it isn't bad to be disgusted by it.
Original post by PythianLegume

I do think you ought to consider why you think that way, though. 'I was brought up that way' is a bit of a poor reason.

The day someone actually comes up with a good reason for believing being gay is wrong I shall renounce my sexuality.
Reply 8
I think you should look it like this: for arguments sake, lets say i thought being a catholic was wrong. The Catholic community would not care if this was my view as long as I then didn't go treating others differently because of their belief. Likewise the gay community doesn't care that you think it's wrong but they would want you to respect that you must keep that opinion from changing the way you treat someone.
I was mulling over my position as a Christian with regards to homosexuality quite loudly once, and an acquaintance overheard and said that he reserved the right to look down on anybody for something they did which made them look down on him for something he did. Which seemed pretty fair and logical at the time. We later discussed it more while fencing with tonic water bottles, though, so I don't know how great and deep a philosophical and theological debate it actually was.
Reply 10
Thats exactly what bothers me. Why can't we discuss homosexuality like any other issue. I know it bothers gays but so does many other issues such as immigration and Islam. No one is going to argue for prosecution of homosexual and thats out of the question, no one supports discrimination against homosexuals because thats stupid, just issues such as how would their adopted children feel living with gay parents, how well the quality of their life is, is it just about genetic, is ti curable. All I ask for is further investigation into this issue. Of course I would be friend with a gay person what is important to me is that he is a good person not his/her sexuality. We can't be nazis about this issue and need to discuss it.
It's one of the quickest ways to lose credibility as a rational, free-thinking person that isn't constrained by the dogma of their religion. However, by law, you are entitled to that opinion provided you don't presume it factual and subsequently impose this "truth" onto others. Personally, I don't have time for narrow-minded people but there are millions of people in the world with similarly intolerant views.
Original post by arminb
Thats exactly what bothers me. Why can't we discuss homosexuality like any other issue. I know it bothers gays but so does many other issues such as immigration and Islam. No one is going to argue for prosecution of homosexual and thats out of the question, no one supports discrimination against homosexuals because thats stupid, just issues such as how would their adopted children feel living with gay parents, how well the quality of their life is, is it just about genetic, is ti curable. All I ask for is further investigation into this issue. Of course I would be friend with a gay person what is important to me is that he is a good person not his/her sexuality. We can't be nazis about this issue and need to discuss it.

I don't quite understand your point because there is discussion of homosexuality (as this thread proves), both in social and legal contexts. Your flippant comparison to Nazism is both senseless and offensive.
Reply 13
Original post by edgarcats
I don't quite understand your point because there is discussion of homosexuality (as this thread proves), both in social and legal contexts. Your flippant comparison to Nazism is both senseless and offensive.

I didn't mean nazi in a bad way. I meant it in the way that they won't allow you to freely discuss this and they attack you whenever you do.
Original post by arminb
I didn't mean nazi in a bad way. I meant it in the way that they won't allow you to freely discuss this and they attack you whenever you do.

There is no positive way to use the word 'nazi'. I understand some people feel attacked when they express anti-homosexual views, but quite frankly these people need to grow up and realize that their personal views are subject to just as much scrutiny as any other person's.

Besides, this thread is freely discussing the topic (as are many others on this forum) because we are privileged enough to live in a society where free-speech is protected. Lets not pretend that homophobic people should dare to say they are being attacked when it is so obviously true that homosexual people have been, and still are, persecuted harshly.
No is not bad to think being gay/lesbian is wrong, many people think that it is wrong and not just due to religion, I am not religious but I still think being gay/lesbian is wrong and don't like them. If you don't like them due to whatever reason don't listen to people who tell you not to say it, it is called freedom of speech you can say anything you like

Why should he keep it to himself your basically telling him he has no freedom of speech and telling him what he can and can't say and think.

And the reason he gave he was brought up that way is not a poor reason, your basically saying that his choice of religion is a poor reason because his parents could be that religion.
As long as you don't act on it, there's no problem. If you start abusing gays then I think it starts to become a problem.

Personally I don't have a problem with gays, but there's been this media-driven obsession with homosexuality and desire to see gays in every aspect of our lives, and that annoys me.
Original post by sonyliv
i was brought up catholic, so obviously they do not support it. I dont do anything about it, i do nt support it and thats it really. But what i cant understand how those who support gays can turn around and attack me due to what my religion says. Im curious what use believe about this :smile:

I'm not sure about 'bad', but I think it is definitely unfair. The fact of the matter is that your basis for thinking homosexuality is wrong is your religion. This is not a rational argument and I honestly cannot understand how you feel that a religion can justify an attitude like that.
Reply 19

Why? I believe sticking to what you know is a decent enough reason to hate on gays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending