The Student Room Group

PwC Flying Start vs Bath (Accounting & Finance)

I am currently holding offers for both the PwC Nottingham Accountancy course, and the Bath Accounting & Finance course. Bit confused on which to firm??
1) Going to Notts will almost guarantee me a job at PwC with 35k starting salary
2) Bath is no1 in accounting and finance (p.s. notts pwc isnt in ranking table)

Any thoughts on which is better?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?lol
Reply 2
Original post by urnie
I am currently holding offers for both the PwC Nottingham Accountancy course, and the Bath Accounting & Finance course. Bit confused on which to firm??
1) Going to Notts will almost guarantee me a job at PwC with 35k starting salary

Do you know what career you'd like to go into after you graduate? If it's accounting and you're likely to want to join one of the big 4, then Nottingham may be the better choice.

Not sure what the contract situation is with the Notts course and PwC but I know as a flying start you'll do 2-3 months of work every year. If there's no contract after you graduate, the experience from that should be valuable and will help if you decide not to take the PwC job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I am also deciding between these two except newcastle flying start course. How did your assessment centre go?
Reply 4
Original post by mathsaye
I am also deciding between these two except newcastle flying start course. How did your assessment centre go?

I had mine some time ago. It went quite well on the day. So which one are you likely to put as your firm??
Original post by urnie

Average starting salary is £25k, not £35k, with my source being the University of Nottingham (UoN) website.

Although Bath is no.1 now, I wouldn't place too much weight on this because the league tables change annually. What's more important is if the Uni you choose is consistently among the top 3 or 5 for the course and is a target Uni for grad employers.

Having said this, I have also applied for A&F at Bath, LSE, Bristol, Warwick and have an upcoming assessment day for the Flying Start programme at UoN.
Reply 6
it won't almost guarentee you a job at all; look more closely at it and read up on it and you'll see that even if you get a first - its like a 50% chance that you'll even get hired in the first place.
The experience in uni will be slightly...distorted, you're going to be working in an office for a fair amount of time each year - plus its got lower flexibility so you couldn't divulge into a different field as easily without incurring some sort of cost.
Nottingham do far nicer accomodation whereas bath you get like 28% chance of getting an ensuite - though both's campus is fairly big.
Nottingham has far better nightlife - however with the amount you're going to be working at parts in the year, this isn't really a good thing.

If you want a good solid university experience then Bath is where it's at - though you're going to get a lift to bristol if you want a good night out.
If you want to work and have solid work experience then go PWC.
Good luck
Original post by dasul
it won't almost guarentee you a job at all; look more closely at it and read up on it and you'll see that even if you get a first - its like a 50% chance that you'll even get hired in the first place.
The experience in uni will be slightly...distorted, you're going to be working in an office for a fair amount of time each year - plus its got lower flexibility so you couldn't divulge into a different field as easily without incurring some sort of cost.
Nottingham do far nicer accomodation whereas bath you get like 28% chance of getting an ensuite - though both's campus is fairly big.
Nottingham has far better nightlife - however with the amount you're going to be working at parts in the year, this isn't really a good thing.

If you want a good solid university experience then Bath is where it's at - though you're going to get a lift to bristol if you want a good night out.
Good luck

"Providing you perform well on the programme and during your placements with PwC, it could lead to a permanent job offer: 95% of graduates who have followed this type of programme with PwC have received a job offer at the end of it." - UoN website.

I'm assuming your 50% job offer percentage was pure speculation. Or do you know something the course providers don't?

The flying start programme is vocationally inclined the way I see it where you apply knowing this and because of this. You either commit to becoming an ICAEW Chartered accountant or go elsewhere in order to leave your options open.
Reply 8
I applied for the same thing. I had to read around the student room a bit - they say 95% but I'd take that with a grain of salt - I saw other discussions with much lower chances. The rest was just my 2 cents.
Reply 9
Original post by dasul

Good luck

The chance of you getting hired if you pass your exams and perform reasonably on your placements are 100%. As well as this, the salary is 35K as soon as you become chartered which is within one year of graduation. Bath is highly rated but in my opinion, if you want a career in a big 4 firm, then the flying start is the best option and with lower entry requirements.
Original post by dasul
I applied for the same thing. I had to read around the student room a bit - they say 95% but I'd take that with a grain of salt - I saw other discussions with much lower chances. The rest was just my 2 cents.

Cool, did you get an offer?

I am sceptical about the figure, so it makes it on my list of interview questions. This way I should ascertain the answer; no offence but I'd trust the course providers' percentage over TSR students.
Anyone else notice OP Urnie's gone AWOL? Ha! Our 2 cents is going begging.
Reply 12
The chance of you getting hired if you pass your exams and perform reasonably on your placements are 100%. As well as this, the salary is 35K as soon as you become chartered which is within one year of graduation. Bath is highly rated but in my opinion, if you want a career in a big 4 firm, then the flying start is the best option and with lower entry requirements.

So which have you ended up firming?
Reply 13
Original post by urnie
So which have you ended up firming?

Newcastle flying start
Reply 14
Newcastle flying start

Just firmed Nottingham
Original post by urnie
Just firmed Nottingham

Did u get in?
What did u get at A-level
Reply 16
Original post by urnie

I mean one of the main reasons for going to uni (at least in my opinion) is to get a good job (hopefully in one of the big 4) and with the Nottingham course you already have the job. Therefore the choice is pretty clear.
can i get any tips on how to boost my ucas application as a yr12 a-level student? did you guys do extra-curricular activities? what were your predicted grades? or what work experience placement related to accounting did you do?
Original post by phillipung
can i get any tips on how to boost my ucas application as a yr12 a-level student? did you guys do extra-curricular activities? what were your predicted grades? or what work experience placement related to accounting did you do?

To get into Nottingham for this program will take an incredibly strong set of predicted grades, and show a real desire in the personal statement... as there are 50 places....

In general business will come down to some luck...

I attend nottingham, however do international management with far more places on offer.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
To get into Nottingham for this program will take an incredibly strong set of predicted grades, and show a real desire in the personal statement... as there are 50 places....

In general business will come down to some luck...

I attend nottingham, however do international management with far more places on offer.

What do you know about the course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending