The Student Room Group

WJEC IT3 Exam thread (17th June 2014)

Scroll to see replies

Not looking forward to the exam personally. I may know the book by then, but I know WJEC will make it tough in one way or another. Luckily it's smaller than IT1, where I was one of the 5 in our class to get above a U, so it's less inaccurate and out of date information to learn at least. I hate how with exams in general; it doesn't matter if you could act upon the entire book in a real life situation, if you can't comply with the mark scheme you will lose...I could do system design right now, but for the exam? Unlikely.

Still, will do what I can.
Original post by ChrisTMH
Not looking forward to the exam personally. I may know the book by then, but I know WJEC will make it tough in one way or another. Luckily it's smaller than IT1, where I was one of the 5 in our class to get above a U, so it's less inaccurate and out of date information to learn at least. I hate how with exams in general; it doesn't matter if you could act upon the entire book in a real life situation, if you can't comply with the mark scheme you will lose...I could do system design right now, but for the exam? Unlikely.

Still, will do what I can.

The mark schemes are usually always the same for most of the questions, revise from the mark scheme - I think it's the best way to do it. There are patterns in all of 'em.
Reply 22
Considering they are so mean with marks, can anyone clear this up for me?

example question: Explain what is meant by a primary key and a foreign key. [2]

The answer is this:

A primary key is unique and used to identify a record/table. / and other fields depend on it
A foreign key is a field of one table which is also the primary key of another table / used to establish
relationships/links between tables.

and if you were to write this, would they give you two marks?

A primary key is unique and used to identify a record/table.
A foreign key is a field of one table which is also the primary key of another table.

Or do you literally have to write in all the options??

Thanks
Reply 23
Original post by Onyxus
Considering they are so mean with marks, can anyone clear this up for me?

example question: Explain what is meant by a primary key and a foreign key. [2]

The answer is this:

A primary key is unique and used to identify a record/table. / and other fields depend on it
A foreign key is a field of one table which is also the primary key of another table / used to establish
relationships/links between tables.

and if you were to write this, would they give you two marks?

A primary key is unique and used to identify a record/table.
A foreign key is a field of one table which is also the primary key of another table.

Or do you literally have to write in all the options??

Thanks

Me and others in my class have done a bit of both. My definition for primary key is exactly the same as yours, but I include the bit about other fields depending on it. I assume the "/" means another answer.
Reply 24
Original post by ttreb
Me and others in my class have done a bit of both. My definition for primary key is exactly the same as yours, but I include the bit about other fields depending on it. I assume the "/" means another answer.

Yeah it's really annoying because it makes sense in some cases that despite there being a "/" you should include more, but other times it seems stupid to do so... like this question

Describe in detail two of the factors an organisation needs to consider when producing a risk analysis. [4]

Identify potential risks - e.g. viruses / fire / natural damage / hacking / systems failure / fraud, etc

Your obviously not expected to write all of those, 3 at most to be safe but I want to say you should be able to get away with just one

They obviously get loads of different people to write these answers but they don't all follow the same formula which is annoying
Reply 25
Original post by Onyxus
Yeah it's really annoying because it makes sense in some cases that despite there being a "/" you should include more, but other times it seems stupid to do so... like this question

Describe in detail two of the factors an organisation needs to consider when producing a risk analysis. [4]

Identify potential risks - e.g. viruses / fire / natural damage / hacking / systems failure / fraud, etc

Your obviously not expected to write all of those, 3 at most to be safe but I want to say you should be able to get away with just one

They obviously get loads of different people to write these answers but they don't all follow the same formula which is annoying

Hahaha you're spot on. I think the thing that makes me most annoyed with WJEC, is the fact that their mark-schemes are essentially "the textbook" of the ICT course, yet it offers hardly any guidance for us.
Original post by ttreb
Hahaha you're spot on. I think the thing that makes me most annoyed with WJEC, is the fact that their mark-schemes are essentially "the textbook" of the ICT course, yet it offers hardly any guidance for us.

Yeah i know what you mean ! been finding it hard to answer the questions with just using the textbook so have had to start using the mark schemes :s-smilie: found these revision notes when I was looking online the other day, has anyone given them a try ?
Hoping the exam goes alright on the day :tongue:
In most of the mark schemes, like someone said, they are mainly bullet points. Is it therefore recommend just to bullet point them (maybe not literally). Someone of the answers they give are about 2 or 3 words and it doesn't seem enough. Seems you but those 3 words you get the mark, write an awesome answer on a valid point not on the mark scheme and you don't get any marks :s-smilie:
Reply 28
What questions do people expect to come up on this paper?
My class have learnt our answers from the mark scheme as in some cases the mark scheme specifically says don't condone so and so and we soon realised they were the answers the text book provides. Nightmare.
Reply 30
I'm feeling confident for this exam, and I really shouldn't because 1) it is WJEC ICT. 2) it is WJEC ICT and 3) it is WJEC ICT.

I've memorised a lot of answers from the mark schemes, and January 14 was a good paper...but that will mean ours will be a bit of a b**** lol
Reply 31
any link to January 2014 paper?
Reply 32
Original post by chinna96
any link to January 2014 paper?

Sorry I've got no link but I know some of what came up -

- advantages & disadvantages of mobile access
- advantages & disadvantages of ring & star topology
- changeover strategies
- advantages & disadvantages of dialup and broadband
- remote management
- What makes an effective MIS
- advantages & disadvantages of online shopping
- requirements needed for online shopping
- factors of a good HCI
- factors to consider when choosing a network
- fears of a new ICT system being introduced
- how management can reduce those fears
Reply 33
Original post by ttreb

- changeover strategies
- remote management
- factors of a good HCI

Okay thank you anyway :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by ttreb

- changeover strategies
- remote management
- factors of a good HCI

And also, do you have any idea of what will come up on this paper?
Reply 35
Original post by chinna96
And also, do you have any idea of what will come up on this paper?

Not really, I mean the usual HCI questions, networks, databases etc... I assume will come up but in terms of what types of questions I'm really not sure. I'm just revising as much as I can. I have a feeling that the topics like mobile access and broadband and dialup won't come up as they came up January.
Reply 36
Original post by ttreb
Not really, I mean the usual HCI questions, networks, databases etc... I assume will come up but in terms of what types of questions I'm really not sure. I'm just revising as much as I can. I have a feeling that the topics like mobile access and broadband and dialup won't come up as they came up January.

Ok cheers
what are people's predictions on what might come up?
Reply 38
I'm hoping we get to draw a topology, those are an easy 2 or 3 marks :tongue:
Reply 39
I'm thinking maybe:

System development life cycle questions: feasibility report, design stage, system maintenance etc

Peer to peer and client server

probably one or both security policy and risk analysis, they pop up a lot

I'll probably get this all wrong though haha

Can someone explain the questions where you have to draw relational tables? My teacher has no idea what hes doing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending