Scroll to see replies

Original post by itsn0b0dy
I'd say it's a lot more linked to upbringing/culture

Interesting. What makes you say that?
Reply 361
Original post by Oli-Ol
Interesting. What makes you say that?

just person experience really.

I just think the way I was bought up/my experiences has played a part in what me and my sister have to live with every day.

sorry, I'd prefer not to go into details
Why is mental health so low on university agendas?

Hi everyone,

How are you all doing? It's been a while since we chatted.

For those of you that have exams how are you finding revision? Remember to make time for cups of tea and a natter with friends, and schedule time for treats like a walk in the sunshine or a movie night with pals.

This is a very interesting article. What's your experience of wellbeing services at university?

:grouphugs:
Reply 363
Original post by She-Ra

Hi everyone,

For those of you that have exams how are you finding revision? Remember to make time for cups of tea and a natter with friends, and schedule time for treats like a walk in the sunshine or a movie night with pals.

This is a very interesting article. What's your experience of wellbeing services at university?

Honestly I think unis on the whole do a pretty good job.. On the NHS you can be waiting months, 4-6 months is not an uncommon waiting time for counseling unless they feel that they can prioritise you. 5 weeks is pretty damn good compared to services elsewhere.
Reply 364
Original post by She-Ra

Hi everyone,

I think the article is a little unfair and skewered tbh. Admittedly I know nothing about Exeter but the welfare services at Cambridge are excellent.Yes, the waiting time for counselling is 3-5 weeks, but it's still shorter than the NHS. And that does not mean you don't get significant additional support from your chaplains, tutors, others in the meantime.

I feel that unis DO try to help quite considerably with mental health issues, doing whatever is feasible to help. They certainly assist more than [most] employers would. At the end of the day you're ill though; your university can't be expected to bear the burden of your illness alone.
Reply 365
Original post by ScaryScience
Interesting - I'm at Exeter and have accessed the services. I think she has a point. I went there at the start of the year. Was very distressed and was told that I had to wait 5 weeks for an initial assessment. Following the assessment in October, I had to wait until Christmas for CBT. CBT was utterly terrible and she suspended the sessions without following me up with anything else. They had abandoned me. I then went to a disability person (after false information from the GP) where I confessed I was suicidal, and then wellbeing wouldn't stop bugging me. When I said this was unhelpful and making me feel worse, I was dismissed and accused of not making the most of the service - an absolute joke when they refused to see me for weeks when acutely distressed. I now have a mentor who I rarely see and ridiculous amounts of trouble with my GP and psychiatrist which makes me feel totally alone. I could go on. They haven't been good at dealing with the pressure of 20,000 students (very small and low staffed service) and also have prioritised poorly. Going through the motions of this system has made me feel worse. Ridiculous, I wish I'd never bothered.

It's not what the service is for though. You need properly looking after and a lot of care. A university isn't equipped to handle that, and can't really be expected to.

People don't see you, you're distressed. People bug you constantly [trying to help] and it makes you feel worse. People are only human, with limited understanding about you. They just try to do their best.

Your poor GP and psychiatrist aren't your unis fault. And constantly pushing people away is going to make welfare etc naturally focus on others who are finding them more helpful.

It's not your fault at all, I know exactly what its like, and what you're going through to a large extent. But expecting a university to be equipped to handle it properly is... perhaps unrealistic?
Hi everyone,

It's mental health awareness week from the 12 - 18 May and the focus is going to be Anxiety.

This is the official information pack:

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/content/assets/PDF/publications/mental-health-awareness-week-kit.pdf

Thought we could start generating some ideas together on how TSR's community can support this week :smile:

I'm going to start quoting some of you in!

SR x
See above lovely people :smile:

samba
x

The_Lonely_Goatherd
x

PonchoKid
x

Angury
x

sabertooth
x

Oli-Ol
x

SciFiRory
x

HBPrincess
x
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by She-Ra
Hi everyone,

It's mental health awareness week from the 12 - 18 May and the focus is going to be Anxiety.

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/content/assets/PDF/publications/mental-health-awareness-week-kit.pdf

Thought we could start generating some ideas together on how TSR's community can support this week :smile:

SR x

I think raising awareness of anxiety and the issues that surround it would be a good idea.
I think it'd also be a good idea to perhaps generate like a info-pack or something - educating and informing others about anxiety is, signposting to charities and organisations that offer services to help individuals with anxiety, as well as maybe providing suggestions/advice to help reduce it e.g. mindfulness techniques
Original post by HBPrincess
I think raising awareness of anxiety and the issues that surround it would be a good idea.
I think it'd also be a good idea to perhaps generate like a info-pack or something - educating and informing others about anxiety is, signposting to charities and organisations that offer services to help individuals with anxiety, as well as maybe providing suggestions/advice to help reduce it e.g. mindfulness techniques

^ this. And that anxiety isn't just being 'a little bit worried' it's so much more than that.
Original post by HBPrincess

This sounds like a brilliant start :smile: In terms of an info pack, if we start creating information we could maybe bring it all together on a webpage with hyperlinks to articles, charities, support organisations that we have identified which are all together.

Original post by .snowflake.
^ this. And that anxiety isn't just being 'a little bit worried' it's so much more than that.

Your absolutely right, feeling anxious at times is perfectly natural - it's when it become part of our daily routine and your whole life feels dictated by it that that it becomes a really serious problem. Some tips on managing anxiety would be very helpful - especially during the revision period and then longer-term anxiety too.
Original post by Idle
Honestly I think unis on the whole do a pretty good job.. On the NHS you can be waiting months, 4-6 months is not an uncommon waiting time for counseling unless they feel that they can prioritise you. 5 weeks is pretty damn good compared to services elsewhere.

The reason it takes so long on the NHS is the goverment criminally underfunds mental health services, its also worth noting that for a LOT of mental health issues, 6 weeks of 1 hour counselling sessions really isnt even close to enough support.

The only decent thing my Uni had was nightline who you could call or even pop into see if you were having a MH crisis, there needs to be a hell of a lot more support and investment for mental health in Uni, NHS and workplaces/schools imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by She-Ra
Hi everyone,

SR x

Thats really good, i have anxiety myself so i will definitely look at what they have on that site, let me know if anything i can do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SciFiRory
Thats really good, i have anxiety myself so i will definitely look at what they have on that site, let me know if anything i can do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant thank you :biggrin: I think if we comfortable to do so it's about sharing our experiences and how manage it day to day, what's worked for us, what hasn't. When does it get worse, and what are the exception times i.e. our really good days :h:
Reply 374
Original post by SciFiRory
The reason it takes so long on the NHS is the goverment criminally underfunds mental health services, its also worth noting that for a LOT of mental health issues, 6 weeks of 1 hour counselling sessions really isnt even close to enough support.

The only decent thing my Uni had was nightline who you could call or even pop into see if you were having a MH crisis, there needs to be a hell of a lot more support and investment for mental health in Uni, NHS and workplaces/schools imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do think we have to be realistic though, even on the NHS it can take months for an operation and weeks for a referral for potential cancer. It is never going to be ideal.
Original post by Idle
I do think we have to be realistic though, even on the NHS it can take months for an operation and weeks for a referral for potential cancer. It is never going to be ideal.

ideal? no, but we can definitely make big improvements, I mean the NHS is actually pretty poorly funded compared to health services elsewhere, heck even the US spends more on healthcare as a percentage than we do, and they charge people for it...I don't think it's unrealistic to talk about giving the NHS and other services much better funding and resources to deal with mental health, our understanding of and diagnosis of mental health issues has increased hugely in recent years but the funding it gets has lagged well behind imo, whereas we spend billions on things we don't need at all like trident or cutting taxes for big corporates, I would much rather that money went on helping people who actually need help myself
Original post by She-Ra
Brilliant thank you :biggrin: I think if we comfortable to do so it's about sharing our experiences and how manage it day to day, what's worked for us, what hasn't. When does it get worse, and what are the exception times i.e. our really good days :h:

fair enough, I have literally just woken up atm but if I have some time in a bit I can write a bit about my own experiences and hopefully people can relate and stuff to that :smile:
Reply 377
Original post by samba
I think the article is a little unfair and skewered tbh. Admittedly I know nothing about Exeter but the welfare services at Cambridge are excellent.Yes, the waiting time for counselling is 3-5 weeks, but it's still shorter than the NHS. And that does not mean you don't get significant additional support from your chaplains, tutors, others in the meantime.

I feel that unis DO try to help quite considerably with mental health issues, doing whatever is feasible to help. They certainly assist more than [most] employers would. At the end of the day you're ill though; your university can't be expected to bear the burden of your illness alone.

I agree, it seems to vary from uni to uni, some will have good services, others like already mentioned will have poor services. I was fortunate enough at my uni to have good services, with an excellent website with plenty of MH resources on it and only a short waiting time of a week or so iirc, which I'm thankful for, cause I was in a terrible place and for the last 6 months of uni, the counsellor was literally the only person I spoke to outside of the odd seminar.

But having read the article, I was certainly surprised at such long waiting times and unis like Exeter really should look at this, as uni can be a very difficult place to be as a young person away from home for long periods of time with MH issues and I also know at how MH issues can impact on your studies and social life (they wrecked my social life completely).
I know at my uni, the waiting times were really good, like a week or 2, and they fit me in the counselling on the only day i had lectures which was good. BUT my counsellor was awful. I managed 3 sessions with her before giving up, she spent an entire session discussing how i put shoes on... They also had music playing and it meant i could hardly here here as the walls were thin and she was quiet.
But apparently the other counsellor was really nice as my friend saw her.
But i got loads of support from my personal tutor who was fantastic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by She-Ra

Apologies for being late to the party - was abroad :colondollar:

My experiences of wellbeing services at Oxford were... um... let's not talk about such things :tongue: Let's say they could be improved upon. On the plus side, I know that since I've left, things have started changing for the better :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest