The Student Room Group

Have you ever had sleep paralysis?

I just learnt about it a while ago, and omg it's so scary and interesting.

So, have you ever experienced it, and what happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's happened to me about 5 times and it's horrible. Now everytime I go to sleep I worry it's going to happen again. I don't have hallucinations during it but I get terrified I'll die from lack of oxygen.
I have yeah! Only twice in my life, but once was just the other day. I was drifting to sleep and was dreaming I was in a car that was about to crash. Once the car had crashed I felt like I couldn't move but the scary thing was I knew I wasn't properly asleep yet and that it was a dream but I could not open my eyes or move, and I tried frantically to move as well. I felt conscious and as though someone was in my bedroom so I was trying to say help but nothing would come out. So as I started to panick I started to breathe really heavily and that managed to jerk me out of the sleep paralysis and I properly woke up in a dark room with no one around.

It was really scary and I had to sit up awake for a while because I was scared to sleep again but it didnt happen the second time I went to sleep.

I hope it never happens again!
Reply 3
Used to have it all the time as a child (at least 1-2 times a week) though I never had hallucinations. It was horrible, just lying there frozen with my mind awake and my body asleep and this horrible tingling sensation running down my back. It made me afraid of falling asleep on my back (which I still dislike) as it would then happen 100% of the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Oh my days. I've had this just never realised what it's called.

I've gotten this about maybe 5+ times in my life.
It's scary.
Reply 5
It's terrifying. I was lying there unable to move, as a burglar walked around my house. There was no burglar, of course, but I didn't know that at the time.
Reply 6
I've had it a few times it's horrible! Sometimes I'm just lying there unable to move and others I imagine that I can feel someone/something next to me in bed or a weight on my chest and I try to move or call for help but I can't. It's pretty scary, I can't get back to sleep whenever it happens.
Reply 7
Yes, I get it regularly. It usually doesn't scare me at all. However, the last time I had it it was terrifying - I had a vivid hallucination of a scary ghost woman hovering above me with her face a few inches from mine. She was staring right at me and I couldn't move a muscle *shudders*.
I remember it happening clearly one time.

It was possibly the most bizarre experience ever.

I could not move and there was something on my chest.

Though….I didn't actually find it that scary.
Happened to me once recently, was trying to have a lucid dream, waiting to fall asleep and all of a sudden I wasn't able to move or speak, or even control my own breathing. I knew it was sleep paralysis since I read about it when researching lucid dreaming, but it was scary nonetheless. :frown:
Yes I've had it... It's scary... It happened to me since 2010... It feels like something is holding you down, and breathing next to you...
Reply 11
I get it regularly. Infact sometimes while I'm awake inside my own head, I'm like 'can this just be over? I have a 9am start at uni'. Don't get me wrong, I absolute hate that I get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I've had it many times and it was terrifying experience! This was when I was 16/17 since then I have never experienced it again. Your body is literally frozen, unable to move or even raise a finger! The whole experience feels like something out of a horror movie tbh.
Reply 13
Quite a few times.

There's a more sever form where you imagine an old woman is sitting on top of you, no joke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbpOucNVn4

I don't like it :frown:

Also... don't watch that video before bed..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Yes. I've never really discussed this with anyone, neither have I enquired about it.

It's quite terrifying, and sometimes you can break out of it, but it requires a lot of effort. Best thing to do is ignore it and just close your eyes. But sometimes you're boiling and find it hard to breathe.
i know people who have had it... not me luckily
Reply 16
I dream about dying :frown:

I've had some disturbing dreams that are regrettably evil.
Reply 17
3 winters ago, I used to have it twice a week. It's terrifying, I wouldn't be able to move. Then one day my mom invited this to our home to perform a ritual to make it go away.
Reply 18
Once. For me it was going to sleep one night. I knew I was laying in my bed but I couldn't move, I couldn't even try to- like my brain just wouldn't send the signal.
Voices were whirling round my head and I had a mirky image in my head with moving lights.

It was so creepy! I think I fell asleep afterwards so it was a bit like just having a really freaky dream. I'm just glad I didn't have a worse one. For me it was just unsettling rather than scary. I thought I might have been having some sort if episode or something. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest