The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

International Foundation Year, anyone?

Hello!! I'm from Spain and I applied directly to Leeds to enter their International Foundation Year on Design. I wanted to enter BA Fashion Marketing but my qualifications weren't enough... so I'm hoping to enter this IFY as it's supposed to be a pre-degree year for those who have qualities and will to study there but couldn't meet the qualifications asked...

Is anyone here doing an IFY or did in the past? Do you know if the entry requirements are as high as those for the degree or if there's a huge demand to study IFY?

I got and unconditional offer from another university to study Fashion Marketing, but I really really wanna study at Leeds... their course contents are so much better and focused on what I'm looking for... I'm freaking out waiting for an answer so I just came here to see if anyone had any experiences to share on this =)

Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Never mind guys! Just after I posted this I received a mail from Leeds... I got an unconditional offer!! I'm so happy!! Leeds, there I go! =D
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by auraroura
Never mind guys! Just after I posted this I received a mail from Leeds... I got an unconditional offer!! I'm so happy!! Leeds, there I go! =D

Hey! I'm just curious, what universities have you applied to other than Leeds? :smile: I've chosen Fashion Marketing as well! :smile: Did you get into Leeds for that foundation program? What other offers have you gotten, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 3
Hi! No, I don't mind, don't worry :smile:

Yep, I got into the IFY in Design, once I finish that year with BBB grades I will automatically progress into Fashion Marketing in Leeds as well! This foundation is basically offered to those international or EU students that haven't got the qualifications or knowledge to enter directly to a degree... I for example have never studied an artistic subject in High School (I did study outside of it or by myself tho!) and didn't have the ABB they asked to enter the degree.

For this IFY program I had to apply directly to them. Through UCAS I applied to Northampton, Southampton, Uni of the Arts London, Falmouth and also Leeds - all for Fashion Marketing. Leeds was unsuccessful, Northampton sent me an unconditional offer, still haven't got an answer from UofArts London and Southampton. Falmouth invited me for an interview.

Basically those were the Universities with the program on fashion marketing that I liked the most... My favorite has always been Leeds but I wanted to apply to others in case I couldn't gent into both the degree and foundation! FM in Leeds combines creativity, awareness of the design process and marketing... While Falmouth and UofArts are maybe more focused on design and Northampton and Southampton mainly focus on marketing. Even after getting the unconditional offer from Northampton I prefer to go to Leeds and study 1 extra year, it will be worth it!

Have you applied for other universities other than Leeds for Fashion Marketing?? :smile:
Reply 4
Awesome! I'm very happy for you, then! :smile:

I'm an EU student as well, though I've been studying Arts for nearly 12 years now, so not having an art related subject was never really a problem for me :smile:

Yeah, I've applied to 5 universities. I'm not wealthy enough to be living somewhere around or in London, so I automatically crossed the University of Arts off my list. I've received 4/5 offers so far (all of them are conditional): University of Manchester, Northampton, Southampton and Leeds. The one I haven't gotten any news from yet is Nottingham Trent, but it doesn't really appeal to me anyway.

I feel you, girl! Leeds is my favourite, too! Not only the course, but also the whole city, campus and social life seem to be the best! The city especially.. I'm a city person, wouldn't really enjoy spending too much time somewhere quiet and boring, so the thought of Leeds gives me chills. :biggrin:

I was afraid the conditions would be out of this world, but they seem reasonable and quite easy to achieve. So if all goes well and the money is sorted - I am coming to Leeds!!
Reply 5
Oh that's good! I always wanted to study more creative studies but I was confused as to what I wanted to do in life so now I need to catch up!

London wasn't really an option for me either, for the same reason, even though the university looks really good. But I thought that in case no other university accepted me and London did I could try to save money and work to pay everything. Luckily I will only go to London to visit!

See we almost applied to the same universities! hahaha! And yeah, Leeds just looks awesome, a vibrant city in the middle of countryside! Can't wait to be there :biggrin:

You are waiting for some last qualifications? I'm waiting to apply for student finance and see there's no problem with paying my studies! I hope everything works fine for you too! Best of lucks :wink:
Hey,
Firstly, congrats to you both :smile: Ive applied to Leeds as well, but for advertising and design. Any idea how the course is comparing it with Falmouth Uni?
Both look absolutely brilliant so I'm very confused on what to pick!
Reply 7
Oh that's good! I always wanted to study more creative studies but I was confused as to what I wanted to do in life so now I need to catch up!

London wasn't really an option for me either, for the same reason, even though the university looks really good. But I thought that in case no other university accepted me and London did I could try to save money and work to pay everything. Luckily I will only go to London to visit!

See we almost applied to the same universities! hahaha! And yeah, Leeds just looks awesome, a vibrant city in the middle of countryside! Can't wait to be there :biggrin:

You are waiting for some last qualifications? I'm waiting to apply for student finance and see there's no problem with paying my studies! I hope everything works fine for you too! Best of lucks :wink:

Haha, yeah, I'm fine with just visiting London for now, too! :biggrin: If I go to Leeds, I think I'll have to find a job there anyway, since money is kinda a big problem :frown: But I'm hoping for the best!

I am just finishing high school, so I'll know my exam results and final grades when summer comes around. The thing is, I haven't done an IELTS exam yet, so that just adds to the whole nerve wracking situation :s-smilie:

Ohh, the loan is bothering me as well! If I can not take the loan out, I think I'll have to stay here in my motherland. :frown:

What are your thoughts on accomodation? Are you or are you not planning on finding a job? :smile:

Ahh, it's so frustrating for us non-home students! haha But let's hope it'll be worth it! Good luck to you too!! :wink:

(We can actually take this conversation to private messages, if you wish :biggrin:)
Reply 8
Original post by teaandcrumpets
Hey,
Firstly, congrats to you both :smile: Ive applied to Leeds as well, but for advertising and design. Any idea how the course is comparing it with Falmouth Uni?

Hey! Thanks :smile:

I have no idea, actually, but if you think that both courses look brilliant, then I would probably consider the rankings, the city, etc. :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by SamantaS

(We can actually take this conversation to private messages, if you wish :biggrin:)

Sure, sending you a PM now :biggrin:

Original post by teaandcrumpets
Hey,

Hi! Thank you! Hmm I haven't checked the course description for Advertising and Design neither in Leeds or Falmouth so you should just compare both and see which uni offers the best modules for you. I, however, did check both universities as I also applied to Falmouth for Fashion Marketing... the course looked great there as well so for me the biggest difference between Leeds and Falmouth was how it's the university structured, the campus and the city.

As SamantaS said, you can check university rankings. Leeds is 32 overall and Falmouth is 60, but when you check it by 'Art&Design' Leeds is #9 and Falmouth #30 (I checked that here http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Art+%26+Design, there's information on each university.. not sure if that's the most reliable source, but I think it is). However, rankings are just numbers and maybe the difference in real life is not that obvious... I really don't know.

I guess what it's more important is that you go to the university that offers the subject modules you are looking for and also that you like that campus and city/town you are going to live for the next 3-4 years. I prefer Leeds because I'm looking for a big and diverse campus with lots of students interested in different things. Falmouth is a smaller arts-focused university. I also prefer living in a city for all it has to offer, entertainment and also more opportunities to find a part-time job, and Leeds is a very student-friendly city for what I've read. Falmouth is a big town and it's not well connected to the rest of the UK for my taste. It's 6-7 hours away from London and Bristol is the nearest international airport (4h away). I don't know if you are an EU/international student, but that wasn't convenient for me.

That's just my preferences, if you don't mind about how far or small Falmouth is and you love the the whole artsy atmosphere then Falmouth may be perfect for you :smile:

Hope that I was helpful to you!
(edited 10 years ago)

Hi! Thank you! Hmm I haven't checked the course description for Advertising and Design neither in Leeds or Falmouth so you should just compare both and see which uni offers the best modules for you. I, however, did check both universities as I also applied to Falmouth for Fashion Marketing... the course looked great there as well so for me the biggest difference between Leeds and Falmouth was how it's the university structured, the campus and the city.

As SamantaS said, you can check university rankings. Leeds is 32 overall and Falmouth is 60, but when you check it by 'Art&Design' Leeds is #9 and Falmouth #30 (I checked that here http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Art+%26+Design, there's information on each university.. not sure if that's the most reliable source, but I think it is). However, rankings are just numbers and maybe the difference in real life is not that obvious... I really don't know.

I guess what it's more important is that you go to the university that offers the subject modules you are looking for and also that you like that campus and city/town you are going to live for the next 3-4 years. I prefer Leeds because I'm looking for a big and diverse campus with lots of students interested in different things. Falmouth is a smaller arts-focused university. I also prefer living in a city for all it has to offer, entertainment and also more opportunities to find a part-time job, and Leeds is a very student-friendly city for what I've read. Falmouth is a big town and it's not well connected to the rest of the UK for my taste. It's 6-7 hours away from London and Bristol is the nearest international airport (4h away). I don't know if you are an EU/international student, but that wasn't convenient for me.

That's just my preferences, if you don't mind about how far or small Falmouth is and you love the the whole artsy atmosphere then Falmouth may be perfect for you :smile:

Hope that I was helpful to you!

Thank you so much! Yep, I'm an international student so the location of Falmouth Uni might be a problem. Also, I'm a citygirl so dunno how I'll adjust to smalltown life :tongue:
I'm going to do a masters course, so its only a year for me!
Anyway, thanks again! Good Luck :smile:
Original post by SamantaS
Hey! Thanks :smile:

I have no idea, actually, but if you think that both courses look brilliant, then I would probably consider the rankings, the city, etc. :smile:

Good luck!

The thing is, I haven't done an IELTS exam yet, so that just adds to the whole nerve wracking situation :s-smilie:

I wrote IELTS. It seems very intimidating before you write it but its pretty basic. Just work on vocabulary a lot, because thats something which is important. Personally, I was extremely nervous about the Speaking portion mainly, but it all turned out really well!
All the best :smile:

Howdy mate, congrats on Ur offer. I'll also be studying at Leeds in the IFY..:biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by ali-rocks
Howdy mate, congrats on Ur offer. I'll also be studying at Leeds in the IFY..:biggrin:

Really?? Finally!! You're the first person I know that's going to study the IFY! Which one did you chose?
The science one. Actually I tried makin an account here several times but to no avail. I applied in Nov & UCAS rejected me..Got offers from Keele, Oueen Mary, East Anglia but Leeds was my preference. Was heartbroken as hell, but got an email from Leeds 4 days later, filled in their application and voila..:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
The science one. Actually I tried makin an account here several times but to no avail. I applied in Nov & UCAS rejected me..Got offers from Keele, Oueen Mary, East Anglia but Leeds was my preference. Was heartbroken as hell, but got an email from Leeds 4 days later, filled in their application and voila..:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool! Guess we'll have the english one on common, right? I also applied to several universities through UCAS, Leeds included, to study Fashion Marketing. Got offers from some but, as you, my first option had always been Leeds and they had rejected me... I was SO happy when I received their unconditional offer for the IFY!!

Where are you from btw? :smile:
Haha yeah. The awesome feeling of getting an unconditional after a rejection is inimitable. The English module would be common for the both of us. I'm from Pakistan (Please don't freak out lol). You've applied for accommodation or got some folks at Leeds?
Reply 17
I'm coming for my IFY as well. I'm doing Engineering....
Have any of sorted out your accommodation?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kaguuru
I'm coming for my IFY as well. I'm doing Engineering....
Have any of sorted out your accommodation?

Yup.. I have, got Montague Burton, although I never vouched for it. Seems decent though! U sorted out the accommodation thingy!
Reply 19
Yup.. I have, got Montague Burton, although I never vouched for it. Seems decent though! U sorted out the accommodation thingy!

haha! i actually got my first choice! Henry Price... which is shocking cause i heard it's over subscribed and i didnt think many internationals got it...but oh well.. yay! me :biggrin:

when do you arrive in Leeds?

Quick Reply

Latest