The Student Room Group

Will your degree be bad for getting a job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Definitely not! I got an awesome placement job and with any luck I'll be offered a graduate job at the end of the year. If not, well, there's luckily no lack of choice out there for me certainly.

Original post by Blazinq
Even if you don't get into your field, a degree is a degree, and it's better than a lot of the population who have no degree.

Nearly everybody I knew went on to go to university so I'm not convinced it will be that uncommon when we become the leading generation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lizziec1996
I think it also depends on where the degree is at and the level of the degree rather than what the degree is. E.g I'm sure sociology at oxford (don't know if they do it) would look better than a history degree at a met

You need to remove that sort of mentality. I presume you have not graduated nor are you in your penultimate year of University.

University plays such a small factor in terms of graduate roles - a reallyyyy small factor. I can give many examples where I and many others have Oxbridge + other top uni graduates who are in the same company, with the same job role. At the end of the day, it is down to your own development during your time at University.

You impress them with your knowledge, skills, extracurricular activities, personal projects - in terms of CS students.. app development, web development, open source technologies etc. The University name won't wow them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aloe_vera_gel
I recently graduated with a Computer Science degree and now working in the technology sector.

To be honest, I don't think any degree should be considered bad. It all depends on how well you use it. Angela Ahrendts, ex ceo of burberry and now senior vice president of Apple, she did mechandising and marketing at University and I would imagine a lot of people in TSR would criticise that sort of degree.. yet she is one of the most successful people

Yes the job market right now is really competitive but you have to make yourself standout from everyone else.

Whilst in principle I do agree with this sentiment, it has become convenient to stereotype people based on their degree and which university they attend because the employment statistics are there
Original post by Table dust
Whilst in principle I do agree with this sentiment, it has become convenient to stereotype people based on their degree and which university they attend because the employment statistics are there

Yea it is a really bad stereotype...
I have friends who did not go to top Universities but are now in excellent paid jobs, some in the Big4, others working for well known companies like Twitter, Google, Microsoft and quite a few in Investment Banking. And I know they earn a lot more than a lot of people who went to top Universities.

I personally went to a "top University" but I have never looked down on people based on their degree and the University they had attended.
Getting the jobs that I want (i.e. careers I'm interested in) - not really, could be quite helpful
Getting jobs generally - probably bad...possibly terrible
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by Aloe_vera_gel
You need to remove that sort of mentality. I presume you have not graduated nor are you in your penultimate year of University.

University plays such a small factor in terms of graduate roles - a reallyyyy small factor. I can give many examples where I and many others have Oxbridge + other top uni graduates who are in the same company, with the same job role. At the end of the day, it is down to your own development during your time at University.

You impress them with your knowledge, skills, extracurricular activities, personal projects - in terms of CS students.. app development, web development, open source technologies etc. The University name won't wow them.

Don't you think a first in a degree looks better than a low grade in a degree? Anyway I think it's a combination of a lot of factors rather than solely the degree. I also think someone with a first in law at a top uni is more likely to get a job than someone with a law degree at Leeds met (if they had similar levels of work experience etc)
Depends what you want to do.
Original post by Ben_Dover
Dangerous stuff. Finding a training contract (assuming you want to become a solicitor) is very tough.

If you don't have any legal experience or contacts in the legal profession, I would be weary of converting to law

I know other law graduates and I'm sure that with enough networking I will have contacts that I can call upon if need be. Edinburgh is a good location for both the degree and the networking aspect of a law career and they have a variety of initiatives to get students experience with law firms during term time as well. Granted it is an expensive risk, but my only other plan was to do a PhD in philosophy so, in comparison, law is a very safe option. I do agree with your point though, hence why I have my serious hat on :hat:
Original post by lizziec1996
Don't you think a first in a degree looks better than a low grade in a degree? Anyway I think it's a combination of a lot of factors rather than solely the degree. I also think someone with a first in law at a top uni is more likely to get a job than someone with a law degree at Leeds met (if they had similar levels of work experience etc)

Of course if all other factors were the same, then university name and degree grade are the only differentiators. That goes without saying.

In a lot of cases though, the 2.1 is the one that gets your application through the door. That's it. From then on, you're on a mission to prove what else you have to offer in addition to your degree, and you're on a level playing field with the other applicants.

A grad from an ex-Poly with 1 years work experience ie an internship would more arguably more likely get a job over the Oxford grad with no experience.

In the same way, if both had the same level of experience, it boils down to the personality of the individual - whether they fit into the culture of the firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending