The Student Room Group

My mum just asked me how old I am?

I don't know if this is her being very nasty, or whether it is the first sign of dementia (there is a history of it in our family).

How can you not know what year your own son was born in>?

:rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Was she scolding you?
Honestly, I never know how old my parents or sisters are. It's just not something I remember. I wouldn't take it to heart.
Reply 3
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I don't know if this is her being very nasty, or whether it is the first sign of dementia (there is a history of it in our family).

:pierre::mmm::lol::teeth::teehee::rofl2::rofl:

Not sure.. although sometimes I don't know how old my own sister is if i'm honest.
Reply 4
My mum has to think how old my siblings and I are. One of my sisters told someone my brother and I were two years younger than our actual ages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My dad to this day doesn't know my age.
Just the other day my dad asked me my date of birth.
I was like what ??
Reply 7
Original post by lilangel217
Just the other day my dad asked me my date of birth.
I was like what ??

Haha. Whenever someone asks my Dad what mine or my brothers birthdays are he looks towards me with an unsure face :lol: I think it's normal tbh OP, parents generally are like that!
My dad doesn't have a clue how old I am or when I was born. Don't take it to heart. Some just don't know or care.
Original post by Precious Illusions
Haha. Whenever someone asks my Dad what mine or my brothers birthdays are he looks towards me with an unsure face :lol: I think it's normal tbh OP, parents generally are like that!

Haha.
He's normally not so good with all this stuff, or he just doesn't bother to remeber.
That's more of my mum's job.
Even the anniversaries.
Typical.

I'm 22 and half the time I can't even remember how old I am, let alone my family.
Classic dad texting, so much text speak it's incomprehensible
Heh, my dad texts like a normal person, but my mum is really at war with technology, can't type properly on texts, still can't work Sky+ even though we've had it for years, can't work the DVD player. The one bloody thing she can actually use is Facebook which is annoying for me :mad:
I don't often remember how old I am. In fact, for the longest time, I kept thinking that I was 16, when I was in reality approaching 20.

These days I usually need to think carefully if I'm 22 or 23.

Is this the first sign of dementia?
From about 22 until 28 my mother had no idea how old I was. She always got it wrong. I remember when I was 25 and had given birth to my third baby, she came to the hospital about an hour after he was born, and she was like "aww lovely. Now you're 27 and a mum of 3."
She knows now that I'm 30 because it's a round figure lol.

My husband hasn't the faintest idea when our kids' birthdays are. Neither does my dad actually. My dad knows mine, but he doesn't know how old my kids (his grandchildren) are, nor when their birthdays are.

My mother-in-law doesn't know when anybody's birthdays are either, though she usually knows ages.
Original post by Silver Arrows
Heh, my dad texts like a normal person, but my mum is really at war with technology, can't type properly on texts, still can't work Sky+ even though we've had it for years, can't work the DVD player. The one bloody thing she can actually use is Facebook which is annoying for me :mad:

My mother doesn't know how to lock and unlock her phone, doesn't properly know how to use free view, and cannot even turn on a computer let alone use one. And she claims she has never heard of tablets or kindles.
Reply 16
I don't even know my sisters age :mmm: I have to calculate, e.g. 2014 - 1971 = one sister's age :toofunny:
I had to ask my mum how old I was the other day...

My mum forgets mine sometimes. Most days I'm lucky if I get called the right name.
My dad never remembers my date of birth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending