The Student Room Group

Is my strength out of proportion?

I'm 112 lbs (ish) 8% BF

I go the gym 3 times a week, do everything right and have a good routine, I could only bench 16kg when I started and now I can do 40kg..

Shoulders I.e. Side lat raises I can barely get 12 reps with 8kg..

My shoulders look proportional to my upper body but strength wise I just can't lift as much as I thought..

Is this normal or do I need to seriously concentrate on shoulders?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Brah, you need to eat, like, seriously do some ****ing eating.

That aside no, your raise should not be even be approaching the amount of your bench. Firstly because it's an isolation exercise, bench is a compound with more muscles involved, and just that your shoulders aren't as strong as your chest normally, most people's press (the compound shoulder exercise) won't be quite as much as their bench.

8kg for 12 sounds about right for your size if not slightly more than I'd expect.

P.S. Do some eating, now.
Reply 2
I bench 65kg comfortably but struggle to do 12 reps side raises on 10kg. They're an isolation exercise for a small muscle and you're meant to keep the weight low. Just make sure you're getting perfect form and control the weight all the way without relying on momentum. No evidence there to suggest you're muscles are out of proportion.

Hope that helps.
Reply 3
112lbs? What are you 4 foot 8? Side raises are pretty much pointless for someone your size focus on overhead presses either with a barbell or dumbbells for shoulder progression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How tall are you?

**** lateral raises. Squat, bench, deaflift and EAT.
Original post by JollyJelly
How tall are you?

**** lateral raises. Squat, bench, deaflift and EAT.

Lol @ deaflift.

OMG I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M LIFTING WEIGHTS

SPEAK UP!
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Lol @ deaflift.

OMG I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M LIFTING WEIGHTS

SPEAK UP!

It's all about hearing gains bro!
Original post by JohnPaul_
I'm 112 lbs (ish) 8% BF

I'm going to send you an emergency food parcel.
Reply 8
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
I'm going to send you an emergency food parcel.

And some creatine.
Reply 9
Side raises are an isolation exercise, it's not that your strength is disproportionate but more to do with the fact that you haven't worked on or developed this particular muscle. Before you get concerned with lifting I'd advise you to start eating and looking to put on mass asap. I was in a similar situation to you in that I was doing weights and boxing but I had such a small frame and didn't eat enough that the exercises became pointless with nothing to show for it. While I've only started working out properly 2-3 months ago I've managed to put on 14kg (used to weigh 50kg) and have noticed an improvement aesthetically and in terms of what I'm capable of at the gym.
(edited 10 years ago)
you need to eat more

eat more

eat more

eat more

and squats/bench/deadlift/deaflift
SQUATS AND OATS AND DEADLIFTS AND NO BICEP CURLS

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need a rounded routine aswell. I can do my 5 sets of 12 reps at 91kg on the tricep press. Yet to do the same on the arm curl i'm stuck on 41-45kg depending on the day.
Original post by consumed by stuff
I need a rounded routine aswell. I can do my 5 sets of 12 reps at 91kg on the tricep press. Yet to do the same on the arm curl i'm stuck on 41-45kg depending on the day.

Surely you can't do 45kg bicep curls and have such little knowledge in lifting? Tricep presses uses chest and shoulders as well and and all three muscles are bigger than biceps. You're not supposed to be able to bicep curl or raise laterally the same weight as you tricep press, squat etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reps4Jesus
Surely you can't do 45kg bicep curls and have such little knowledge in lifting? Tricep presses uses chest and shoulders as well and and all three muscles are bigger than biceps. You're not supposed to be able to bicep curl or raise laterally the same weight as you tricep press, squat etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arm curl machine, i'm not talking free weights oh no. I'm only curling like 14kg/16kg on free weights.
Reply 15
I just weighed myself, I'm actually 116lb.. I eat about 500-700 surplus more a day so I can't eat any more than I am I physically struggle as it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by consumed by stuff
Arm curl machine, i'm not talking free weights oh no. I'm only curling like 14kg/16kg on free weights.

Even then, quite a lot providing you're not swinging and doing upright hyperextensions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reps4Jesus
Even then, quite a lot providing you're not swinging and doing upright hyperextensions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My technique is a bit ropey at times, am guilty of swinging a little.
Reply 18
Original post by JohnPaul_
I just weighed myself, I'm actually 116lb.. I eat about 500-700 surplus more a day so I can't eat any more than I am I physically struggle as it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

116 doesn't really make a difference, if you are under 5ft6 then 150 is a reasonable weight.

You just need to get used to eating more and feeling stuffed. You're so small I doubt you are actually eating that many calories compared to what a lot of people on here eat (and very few people on here are even big). If you really are on 500-700 surplus then that's all good, stick with it but do be aware that skinny people over estimate what they eat (same logic as fat people who don't think they eat that much). And if it's really that hard then drink some of your calories.
You are 110lbs. If you are male, you need to concentrate on EVERYTHING, not shoulders. Go to the gym 3 times a week, squat 5x5 3x a week, deadlift 1x5 once a week, row 5x5 twice a week, bench press 5x5 twice a week, chin ups 3x max once a week, overhead press 5x5 once a week. Oh, and eat at least 2500 calories a day. More if you play sports or do much cardio.

Seriously, unless you are under 15, don't worry about having a proportionate physique... you are really light. Even if you are under 15, don't worry about proportions. Just focus on getting a little bigger if you want a better physique. Your bench press is low. When I started training properly I benched 70 5x5, 90kg squat 5x5, 150 deadlift 1x5 but I was naturally strong and quite big at 80 odd kg when 17/18. If you eat lots and train hard 3x a week, you will get a better physique and you will probably reach double your strength numbers in a few months max. After the 5x5 routines, you can add some bicep/tricep/trap/delt isolation work if you wish, but not a lot - just 3 sets of one or two of them. 5x5 is a perfect programme for you. You will gain strength, pack on some muscle and feel good without killing yourself in the gym for 2 hours. Go hard for an hour and EAT! 150g of protein and enough calories to gain 0.25kg+ a week. Do that for 9-12 months.

Could you post your diet so we can help out?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest