The Student Room Group

Will fasting aid weight loss?

Thoughts on above?
Reply 1
Fasting is a terrible method of fat loss. Eat 500 calories less than you maintenance rate and you should lose a pound every week. (500 x 7 days = 3500 calories which equates roughly to a pound)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Reps4Jesus
Fasting is a terrible method of fat loss. Eat 500 calories less than you maintenance rate and you should lose a pound every week. (500 x 7 days = 3500 calories which equates roughly to a pound)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought that from what I read.

I'm 17 and consider myself to be pretty overweight. Weigh 87ish kg - Yep Im ashamed.

Been eating clean lately and doing my workout 4 days a week and dont seem to see it having any effect. I know its not something that happens overnight but at least some indication that its paying off?
Reply 3
If you're eating consistently at a caloric deficit and incorporating exercise into your life then you should notice visible changes after two weeks or so. Bear in mind you can be eating 'cleanly' and still eating too many calories a day so make sure you're eating 500 less than maintenance (you can calculate your maintenance online)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Keep it up you'll get somewhere with that.. But do you really want to be bothered by boys all the time when you're slim and sexy? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Whats your height?
Reply 6
Fasting is a terrible method for weight loss. You will gain all the weight back and more.
Reply 7
Original post by cstark488
Whats your height?

5 9
im muslim and i have fasted for one month, like 12 hour a day in summer. from fasting you can loose weight or you can gain weight.

when people fast most of the time they gain weight because when it is time to eat they eat loads of food until they become so full, when this happens it forces their belly to move forward and expand, even though they havnt eated for very long hours.

but if you fast, you will have eat a small amount of food when you brake just enough so that you are not hungry or full.

but the bad things about fasting is that you wont be able to concentrate allot, you often get angry quicker, you will mostly be tired etc. but its your choice and if you do you will loose weight rapidly.

source: experience from fasting for one month for 7 years.

to conclude, when you fast have breakfast in the morning then eat at around 8, but not to much, if you have questions let me know.
Reply 9
If you want to lose 20-odd kilos and then maintain the new weight then fasting would not achieve this. It's stupid full stop imo out with for religious reasons. Just eat healthy food and less of it; simple as that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Aay
5 9

Thats not too bad, but it depends on how much of that 86kg is fat and how much is muscle.
Reply 11

Absolutely true its disastrous - fasting is a method that no one should ever adopt for fat loss or even for weight loss.
Reply 12
Original post by cstark488
Thats not too bad, but it depends on how much of that 86kg is fat and how much is muscle.

Ive got a belly, a small one. Legs and Arms are pretty built so I dont think its entirely fat.
The only reason fasting may work for people is because it restricts when you can eat, this making it harder to fit enough food in to go over your body's calorie limit. If it can be avoided do. Just work on the basis of "if it fits my daily calorie intake I can have it".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
If you're eating consistently at a caloric deficit and incorporating exercise into your life then you should notice visible changes after two weeks or so. Bear in mind you can be eating 'cleanly' and still eating too many calories a day so make sure you're eating 500 less than maintenance (you can calculate your maintenance online)

+1 Agree with this. Proper diet and exercise is the only way out to loose fat from body. Drinking lots of water, eating salads & citrus fruits are good to lose weight.
Reply 15
If someone needs to lose weight & fat, it's better to eat healthy & nutritious diet and involve in exercises like running, biking, cardio, yoga etc. and if someone like me who is always out of time because of busy schedule & working, its better to get some exercise equipment's like I got a treadmill & stationary bike from spinning.com at home & pedal bike with loud music which gives me a great workout helping in burning calories and I have seen a huge difference in me for the past one & a half month.
Original post by Chihiro95
Fasting is a terrible method for weight loss. You will gain all the weight back and more.

I didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Eva.Gregoria

Unless you adopt restricting as a lifestyle, you gain it back. You must just not eat that much anyway. This guy's overweight, he won't keep it off at all since he'll most likely return to his eating habits. I say this as someone with an eating disorder that's all too used to not eating.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Not exactly, but may be helpful

Quick Reply

Latest