The Student Room Group

Is "What factors contributed to the sinking of the Titanic?" a good EPQ title??

I've seen lots of people post their EPQ titles and they all seem to be quite vague where they can write about lots of aspects, I was wondering if mine is too specific and worrying that I wouldn't have enough to write.

The titanic is something that I am interested in and coincided to have a background knowledge on but i am worried the title isn't suitable.
Reply 1
I am not an academic in any way. BUT: This strikes me as quite a limited factual type of subject. I like to see some type of question / controversy giving rise to a degree on argument on both sides. Also in general the causes are pretty well known already. Over ambitious design + excess speed + big iceberg + incompetent steering.............those are my thoughts for what they are worth.
Reply 3
Moved to A levels.
Reply 4
would you suggest changing the question so i can write about more points? for example writing about what caused so many people to die i could talk about not enough life boats and inexperienced crew as well as what caused it to sink

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I do wonder about this topic in general how many original sources of information are going to be available to you to research ?
Reply 6
Original post by Old_Simon
I do wonder about this topic in general how many original sources of information are going to be available to you to research ?

^ This
Original post by ashldark
I've seen lots of people post their EPQ titles and they all seem to be quite vague where they can write about lots of aspects, I was wondering if mine is too specific and worrying that I wouldn't have enough to write.

The titanic is something that I am interested in and coincided to have a background knowledge on but i am worried the title isn't suitable.

Rose and Jack distracted the look out when they were kissing
I wrote a long essay on "Why did so many people die on the Titanic" for history, and I had plenty of material and sources to use. There was actually more to the Titanic than simply just overambitious design- you can get quite technical if you want to, and you can also discuss the different crew members, captain etc.
Is there enough research out there on this topic..?

I did mine on whether Britain should adopt an opt out organ donation system. Not because I was really super interested but because it is controversial and there is a lot of research on it
Reply 10
I'm doing an EPQ and what they made really apparent to me at my school was the need to thoroughly research your question, as well as develop it and refine it in the research stage, before you begin to write. If you feel that there enough sources for you to be selective, and that you would be able to write a comprehensive answer then I don't see why not. Perhaps speak to your supervisor about it? They should be able to tell you if you would realistically be able to meet the various marking criteria or not. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by georgiehewitt03
I'm doing an EPQ and what they made really apparent to me at my school was the need to thoroughly research your question, as well as develop it and refine it in the research stage, before you begin to write. If you feel that there enough sources for you to be selective, and that you would be able to write a comprehensive answer then I don't see why not. Perhaps speak to your supervisor about it? They should be able to tell you if you would realistically be able to meet the various marking criteria or not. :smile:

thanks, i have quite a few sources i want to use so I'll speak to my supervisor about it tomorrow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest