The Student Room Group

Why are we all so underpaid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uktotalgamer
Especially in the 'bottom' jobs such as a company network technician or whatever. Like £16000 a year of something like that. Shouldn't we be on more? The job requires at times industry standard qualifications, knowledge, commitment, risk taking. Company execs couldn't do our job.

because you haven't been ambitious enough with your career choices. I was earning £17k on my placement year doing a fairly easy IT administration type job outside of london. I'm now earning £35k in london doing a more experienced but similar role 1 year out of uni.

If you make the right choices and aim for a role that directly enables the business to bring in more money, then you can easily make £25k+ starting salary, or at the very least after 1 years experience
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Especially in the 'bottom' jobs such as a company network technician or whatever. Like £16000 a year of something like that. Shouldn't we be on more? The job requires at times industry standard qualifications, knowledge, commitment, risk taking. Company execs couldn't do our job.

If you want money go into management.
Reply 22

£16k? Maybe for an apprenticeship or complete entry level position.

My company hires helpdesk agents at 18-20k starting. No experience or qualifications needed.

After a year into a 2nd line team at 22-25k.

3+ years and you should be moving up to about 35k.
If it's just placement then I wouldn't worry, you don't pay your student loan back until you're earning more than that. I'm 8 months out of uni and earning £27k which I don't feel is particularly high, I was contacted for graduate scheme which paid more than this. Certain areas like oil and gas can easily start you over £30k

I know people who got basic tech support roles at a council and are earning 22k. I really don't think you'll find a graduate position ~15k.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending