The Student Room Group

Private school students ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Pride
I think the perception of private school kids is that they are out of touch with society. It's probably the case for all middle class families to an extent. But yea, I probably wouldn't want to put my child in a private school, even if I was wealthy, partly because I think it's a waste of money, but also to avoid putting my child in a bubble of great privilege, where they are around people who have a very limited view of the real world, and are therefore unable to appreciate the privileges they have.

I study medicine right now, and it is a highly competitive course, and therefore it is dominated by private schools (50% privately educated in some medical schools). I speak to them all of the time, and it's not necessarily that they are bad people, but there are certain character traits that they've acquired from their upbringing and private education that I wouldn't want in my children (if I go on to have any). Traits like being naive about inequality in the country and the world, being arrogant, being excessively competitive, placing too much emphasis on work/career/wealth.

That said one of the reasons why private schools dominate so much, I think, is that they are taught some really great skills that those in state schools don't get taught as effectively, like leadership and public speaking. Often they're so confident, and like to put themselves up for positions of leadership, because they're so used to competing and persuading people with a speech.

You said it all perfectly. Thank you.
Original post by Катя
Enlightened, compassionate? Interesting.

Would you like me to PM you the surnames of these people?

Er, no. "A snob who looks down on those with money"... what even?

Believe you me, it is a lot easier being rich than being poor. Any snobbery that rich people show is usually fuelled by disgust, whereas "snobbery" that poor people show is usually fuelled by jealousy. Kind of different things.

There is a hell of a lot wrong with immense privilege, because unsurprisingly, it leads to snobbery and general ignorance. More or less everybody at my school was firmly in the "poor people brought it on themselves, should've worked harder" camp, for instance. The vast majority of girls spent their weekends taking pictures of themselves in extortionately expensive Mayfair/Kensington clubs and then putting them on Facebook. When a friend of mine wrote an article about sexism in our school (a fair point, seeing as girls were only introduced to the school quite recently and it's still a very "laddish" sort of place), she was sent tons of hate mail and booed when she went into the cafeteria (by boys), which rather proved the point. I could go on for hours.

I had a terrible experience. Most people I've met at similar public schools (at parties and such, or through mutual friends) turned out to be pretty petty and/or sickeningly shallow. (Note the 'most', not 'all'.)

If you loved Eton (I'm guessing Eton), then great, good for you. Writing long, passive-aggressive sentences with fancy phrases like 'reeks of ignorance' and 'the attitudes in your contrived quotations' is a bit of a waste of time.

Weren't you the girl saying you knew a lot of Etonians and how spiffing they all were ?
Reply 42
Original post by Old_Simon
Weren't you the girl saying you knew a lot of Etonians and how spiffing they all were ?

I really don't think so. Of the 5 Etonians I know well, 4 are quite arrogant and often say the sorts of things that look like they've come straight off that '**** rich college kids say' tumblr. The others I've met (briefly) seemed alright.

If you've ever seen me use the word 'spiffing' (I'm 99% sure you haven't), then it would have been ironic.
(edited 10 years ago)
People are quite hilarious in the way they react to private schools.

My school was private (one of the cheaper ones) and I can tell you that other than the small class sizes (30 in my entire year) state schools had much better facilities than my school.

We didn't have our own playing fields, teachers required fewer qualifications than those at state schools, the roof leaked, we had no cricket equipment and often our teachers were rejects from better private schools.

Small class sizes probably do make it worth the money though.
Some people seem to think that privately educated kids are all coddled by mummy, given largely what they want and have nice, cushy upbringings and grow up to sneer at the world.

From my experience, rich kids still come from broken homes, have abusive parents, have eating/mental disorders, have behavioural problems, suffer from dyslexia/learning difficulties, experience death from an early age, get pregnant at 15 and generally have just as ****ty a time as kids from other schools.

The children therein are fundamentally no different to anyone else, just the environment in which they learn is different. Obviously you get your snobs, "nerds", cool kids, sporty kids, rebels/trouble-makers etc. but what schools don't you find them in?

I loved my school experience and wouldn't swap it for anything. Admittedly I was very naïve about the world, but I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. You don't have to learn things first-hand to know they are true. My school-experience didn't allow me to experience the ways of the world, but it encouraged me to find out about it for myself.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Some people seem to think that privately educated kids are all coddled by mummy, given largely what they want and have nice, cushy upbringings and grow up to sneer at the world.

From my experience, rich kids still come from broken homes, have abusive parents, have eating/mental disorders, have behavioural problems, suffer from dyslexia/learning difficulties, experience death from an early age, get pregnant at 15 and generally have just as ****ty a time as kids from other schools.

The children therein are fundamentally no different to anyone else, just the environment in which they learn is different. Obviously you get your snobs, "nerds", cool kids, sporty kids, rebels/trouble-makers etc. but what schools don't you find them in?

I loved my school experience and wouldn't swap it for anything. Admittedly I was very naïve about the world, but I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. You don't have to learn things first-hand to know they are true. My school-experience didn't allow me to experience the ways of the world, but it encouraged me to find out about it for myself.

This.
Although I wouldn't call myself rich, I think this is exactly what I wish people would understand.
Another thing to consider is that higher fees don't necessarily mean that the school is better.
Original post by yl95
Another thing to consider is that higher fees don't necessarily mean that the school is better.

Errrrrrrrrr. Generally it does.
I think one thing to remember here is that we live in a society where everyone is supposed to be equal and they are. The pure fact that you are labelling people like me as "Snobs" because we attend a private school Is wrong and invalidates your point immediately. I detest all forms of snobbery, everyone is like that in state schools, judgemental, wherever you go you always have the rich clique, it's just at schools like mine the rich clique is very very rich! Oh and I thought it may be important to add that I am well aware of the price of cristal, and personally I don't even think it's very nice
Errrrrrrrrr. Generally it does.

I'd like some evidence on this.
Day fees for top schools:
MCS Oxford fees: £4876 per term
Withington Girls' School: £3480 per term
Guildford High School: £4750/£4815 per term
SPS: £6951 per term
SPGS: £6564 per term
Westminster: £7500/£8130 (6th form entry)
Wycombe Abbey: £8325 per term
NLCS: £5543 per term
KCS: £6300 per term
Habs Girls: £4518 per term
RGS Guildford: £4890 per term
LEH: £5400 per term
The Perse School: £4817 per term
Cardiff Sixth Form College: £12000 per year
Oxford High School GDST: £4096 per term
JAGS: £4210 per term
etc.
Not including boarding only schools.
Bit of a range.
Original post by yl95
Guildford High School: £4750/£4815 per term
SPS: £6951 per term
SPGS: £6564 per term
Westminster: £7500/£8130 (6th form entry)
Wycombe Abbey: £8325 per term
NLCS: £5543 per term
KCS: £6300 per term
Habs Girls: £4518 per term
RGS Guildford: £4890 per term
LEH: £5400 per term
etc.
Bit of a range.

Day fees ? lol................anyone decent is boarding at a public school :wink:
Original post by yl95
etc.
Bit of a range.

Oh BTW: Cardiff is the best college in the country.
Day fees ? lol................anyone decent is boarding at a public school :wink:

Your grammatically inept statement suggests you didn't go to any school, most of my friends that boarded hated it
I've stopped telling people I went to private school anymore. In my experience me telling someone I went to private school almost immediatley makes them look at me differently and judge me negatively. I can't be bothered with it because after a while it really does start to get on your nerves.

For what it's worth the place I experienced it most was actually at the Job Centre in my gap year where I got a distinct impression that the people there thought I didn't deserve their help as I was too well off (which was complete crap).
Original post by Катя
I checked and as it turns out I lied, it's ~1100.

I went to Wellington. Would you like photographic proof?

"A little credibility", Jesus Christ. It's a bloody internet forum.

And that gives you a free pass to spout crap right? You seem like a bigot.

Lol, well, anyway, I provided the facts.
Oh BTW: Cardiff is the best college in the country.

Further strengths my argument that higher fees don't necessarily mean a better performing school. Cardiff's fees are the second cheapest in that list.
(edited 10 years ago)
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. No they are not. Either you made a typo or they are the highest by far. Either way you are dyslexic apparently.

Lol, please don't make a fool of yourself. I wrote that their fees are 12000 pounds IN A YEAR. There are 3 terms in a year, making their fees 4000 pounds A TERM.
Original post by yl95
Lol, please don't make a fool of yourself. I wrote that their fees are 12000 pounds IN A YEAR. There are 3 terms in a year, making their fees 4000 pounds A TERM.

Yeah I saw. Not intuitive to jump from all fees per terms to fees per year in the same list. You got no clue how to present data.
Original post by lilangel217
This.
Although I wouldn't call myself rich, I think this is exactly what I wish people would understand.

This is Perfect I swear people think just because you go to a private school you have a perfect little life and mummy and daddy spoil you rotten, this is MIT true or by any means fair!
Original post by yl95

I'll have you know generally dyslexic individuals are not normally poor at maths, just English, which seems more appropriate to you, if you have sense you'll actually read the data correctly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending