The Student Room Group
Reply 1
GarageMc
For those that dont know what drifting is, its like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoqn8flp3Hg

I was wondering whether if your round a racing track whether drifting or cornering would be faster. For doing U turn corners at high speeds, drifting seems to be pretty efficient, but Im no pro.

Anyone got ideas?

Clearly drifting will be faster because to lose grip you need to be going at a higher speed anyway, however, it will only be faster if you can control it properly. Also, obviously for a wide corner there's no point in drifting anyway, you just need to keep a good line.
How does a F1 car take a corner? How does a rally car take some corners?

I.e. it depends.
Reply 3
pghstochaj
How does a F1 car take a corner? How does a rally car take some corners?

I.e. it depends.

Well in those vehicles you have got no choice.

I am talking about taking something like a skyline round silverstone or another similar tarmac track.
I expect it is actually cornering properly, and if not, for any consistancy, it would be. Drifting may look nice but it's little more than that
Reply 5
It would depend on the surface, surely?

Tarmac - and I would of most certainly thought cornering. Anything rough, and drifting will be the answer.

Oh - it would also depend on the car :smile:
I doubt my focus would drift into anything except a ditch :frown:
Reply 7
Drifting is faster than cornering only while rallying, because that is when you have to make the most out of your lack of traction. While on tarmac you can make use of your grip and take corners perfectly. Drifting on tarmac is like flossing your car and saying look how cool i am.
Reply 8
Drifting a skyline is clearly not the fastest way to drive a skyline. Inetia drifting was invented in J pan in 1607 because the rwd cars of the time had very little power and dorifting was a way of keeping the speed that came from entry. You've probs seen that vid of a FD vs a r32 doing the rounds on bittorrent and that shows how the 4wd can beat the FD on exit speeds but not entry.

Case in point watch initial D to see some grippu driving vs doriftu. It's the definitive series on the ongoing argument.
_Jax_
Drifting a skyline is clearly not the fastest way to drive a skyline. Inetia drifting was invented in J pan in 1607 because the rwd cars of the time had very little power and dorifting was a way of keeping the speed that came from entry. You've probs seen that vid of a FD vs a r32 doing the rounds on bittorrent and that shows how the 4wd can beat the FD on exit speeds but not entry.

Case in point watch initial D to see some grippu driving vs doriftu. It's the definitive series on the ongoing argument.

They had RWD cars in Japan in 1607!?! :eek: They really are much more advanced than us. :laugh:

Funny you should mention Initial D, I watched that film today. Very annoying that it is subtitled, I put the audio track on the English commentary and it was a couple of nobs that take part in the Gumball rally and they just spent the whole time taking the piss out of the film. :laugh:
Reply 10
Pssh if you are going to bother with initial D you should only watch 4th stage. The trouble with it is, although it is a informative documentary of real racing the soundtrack will make you yearn for J-pop every time you go up and down a mildly hilly road.
Reply 11
Cornering is faster than Drifting every time, except maybe rally, although if you can get round a corner without drifting then that is faster.

Drifting (or powersliding) is actually losing grip before the tyres actually do...so you could actually go faster round the corner, the driver just decides to oversteer by applying throttle. A slide is actually when the car physically runs out of grip whereas a drift or powerslide is induced. Thus, cornering is faster because you are using all the cars grip and chassis setup to go round a corner meaning you are carrying more speed. You are using physics to your advantage rather than disadvantage with drifting in terms of proper racing.

If that makes sense...

Graham
Reply 12
Cornering is faster than drifting.

You ever see a GT or touring car drifting in a race?

Also, on 5th Gear, if you watch Tiff Needell, he'll drift a car to look good, but when he's going for a lap time, the drifting is replaced by more precise cornering.
Reply 13
Simeon...you and I watched the same programme! Where Tiff taught the other guy, the fat one how to 'drive' properly. That was awesome!

5th Gear is ten times better than Top Gear for proper reviews and petrolhead mania, Top Gear is funny tho! But lets not get into this!

Graham
Reply 14
Cornering on tarmac.

Latest

Trending

Trending