The Student Room Group

Woman who cried rape to cover up affair given suspended jail sentence

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Her husband might not even ask if she didn't say anything.

And lol at the 'one-off relationship' of six years.
The fact that she avoided jail is an absolute disgrace. Why can't women understand that this is the problem with rape.. How many cases now have we seen whereby a woman throws herself at a man, regrets it then cries rape. It's like the boy who cried wolf.
Reply 3
Guys it's clearly not her fault at all, if you read the article she was worried her lover would tell her husband about the affair, so SHE HAD NO CHOICE! I mean it's not like she was an equal partner in an affair lasting SIX YEARS right? She was just a poor innocent sensitive woman taken advantage of by the bad bad man.

I mean if her new husband had been a more considerate lover I bet she wouldn't need to get it elsewhere right? So it's partly his fault too!

Also she's had bad experienced with men growing up so she can't help her behavior (much understanding, most sympathies).

So in conclusion, not her fault in any way, it is the fault of the men.
What an absolute bellend. The only saving grace in this case is that she didn't single out a poor victim as the "attacker" and ruin his life.

Being blackmailed is a poor excuse for having no back-bone. This mess is entirely her fault, to put her husband, and public resources under so much unnecessary strain is unforgiveable.
Reply 5
Original post by clh_hilary
Her husband might not even ask if she didn't say anything.

And lol at the 'one-off relationship' of six years.

It says 'on-off' not 'one-off'.
Of course, idiots exist in both gender, this has nothing to do with women as a gender.

The fact that women can accuse someone of rape would unfortunately mean that cases like this will occur but compared to the amount of people who are actually raped yearly, this incidence is a very minute occurrence.

Unfortunately this women make it even more difficult for real rape victims to speak out and tell someone. Quite tragic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Of course, idiots exist in both gender, this has nothing to do with women as a gender.

The fact that women can accuse someone of rape would unfortunately mean that cases like this will occur but compared to the amount of people who are actually raped yearly, this incidence is a very minute occurrence.

Unfortunately this women make it even more difficult for real rape victims to speak out and tell someone. Quite tragic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The news coverage is a double-edged sword for real victims. Raising awareness and highlighting the seriousness of false claims is very important in trying to stamp it out (though, an actual DECENT sentence might be better still :rolleyes:), but it also makes the incidence of these cases occurring seem a lot more prevalent than they actually are, making rape-claims more likely to be seen as potentially false from the get-go, or giving the public a distrusting view of them.
Reply 8
Presumably she was given complete anonymity until she was found guilty. Why do we allow this injustice to continue? Apparently we have to publicly reveal the identity of alleged rapists so other potential victims can come forward to strengthen the case, but we don't publicly reveal the identity of those who have alleged they have been raped, which might encourage other men to come forward to support the defence.

There should be anonymity for both parties or both parties should be publicly revealed, how can justice be done if the two sides aren't on a level playing field?
Original post by James82
It says 'on-off' not 'one-off'.

#oops #embarrassing
Reply 10
Original post by uktotalgamer
The fact that she avoided jail is an absolute disgrace. Why can't women understand that this is the problem with rape.. How many cases now have we seen whereby a woman throws herself at a man, regrets it then cries rape. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

That's not a problem with rape, that's a problem with women regretting sex and then crying rape. Do you think we should get rid of rape law just so this can't happen?

Re. the bold - why can't men understand that it's not OK to rape? Oh wait, that's a ridiculous thing to say.
The way that women ever feel that doing this is in any way acceptable is quite frankly shocking.
IMO, if you are found guilty of a false rape allegation, you should be sentenced to prison.
Reply 13
I'm also going to go out on a limb here and point out that a lot of people are likely going to confuse this with falsely accusing someone of rape. She didn't accuse anyone of rape. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, she accused an imaginary stranger she knew did not exist of rape. She got her suspended sentence essentially for wasting police time. This is not the same as trying to ruin someone's life by accusing them of raping you.
It's a tough one. Making a false (and, more to the point, malicious and selfish) rape accusation is obviously deplorable and a horrible thing to inflict on someone, and even if you blame it on a fake person it's unbelievably selfish and manipulative; but at the same time if you start visibly dishing out long sentences to people who do that sort of thing it will discourage people who have a legitimate case from coming forward.
You're taking the Daily Mail as a source of information? Statistically, you are 750x more likely to die from alcohol poisoning than be falsely accused of rape. Let's talk about how 97 out of every 100 rapists don't go to jail instead.
Original post by Algorithm69
The conviction rate for rape is around 60%, which is among the highest conviction rates for serious crime.

What country is that for? I was quoting US figures as collected by rainn.org, the US's biggest anti-sexual violence organisation.
Original post by Algorithm69
Well I'm quoting figures from the Crown Prosecution Service. That's the UK if you're confused. Seeing as how you have the typical left-wing auto-response of "Daily Fail herp derp", I present to you the left-wing rag The Guardian if it is more to your liking:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/apr/23/rape-conviction-rate-high

Ah, brilliant! (Yes, I do see the Guardian as a better source than the Daily Fail, and most definitely the Crown Prosecution Service.)

Do you know what the percentage of accusations of rape are false?
Original post by Ronove
That's not a problem with rape, that's a problem with women regretting sex and then crying rape. Do you think we should get rid of rape law just so this can't happen?

Re. the bold - why can't men understand that it's not OK to rape? Oh wait, that's a ridiculous thing to say.

you're right, the article said that she claimed to have been raped by a stranger, presumably the "stranger" was this other man, whom happened to live down the same street as the "rape" which I assume simply was the woman and the other man kissing or something and she was found and then said it was the man raping her etc. the husband hasn't been accused, it was this other man whom she claimed was a rapist but was simply co-operating with the woman to participate in this affair. so really we should say that she lied about a man raping her to potentially jail him, when really, he never did, and she is crying wolf, like so many other women in our society. whether or not it would have been for the good of their marriage, it was her fault for having an affair and sentencing the man to a rape sentence is unspeakably appalling when she was involved in the affair herself
Reply 19
This woman was given only 16 months after 11 false rape accusations;

The pair had an argument and Jones was upset, so decided to make her eleventh fabricated allegation of rape, he added.

"The man was arrested and he gave a statement - he had to live his life with people accusing him of being a rapist," he said.

"He became incredibly stressed and when he heard she got 16 months, he was disappointed and felt that the time wasn't long enough, after what she put him through."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9894588/Compulsive-liar-jailed-after-11-false-rape-claims-in-decade.html

Justice in the UK I guess

Quick Reply

Latest