The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi a lot of places do, i found http://www.gdc-uk.org/Dentalprofessionals/Education/Pages/Dental-therapist-qualifications.aspx helpful. have a look on there. :smile: good luck
Reply 2
Hi,
I'm a mature student and mum of 2 looking to apply for DH / DT in 2015. I have no dental nursing experience but satisfy the academic entry requirements. I am doing work experience with the hygienist at the moment.

Of those of you who were offered an interview last year, who were not previously dental nurses, how many hours / weeks of work experience did you have within dentistry?

Many thanks.
Reply 3
Hi I'm a dental nurse with 6 years experience, national certificate in dental nursing, fluoride competency course completed, 5 GCSE's inc double science and just this saturday sat my Oral Health Education exam (hopefully pass!) I've struggled on finding places to apply as I don't have an A-level in biology so leeds and Bristol just said don't even bother applying. I've applied to Teeside, Newcastle, Liverpool, Essex, Birmingham. They have said they will consider me without an A-level so let's see if they do!
Reply 4
Hi I have 12 GCSE's grade A* - C , AVCE in health & social care, dental nursing qualification, dental radiography, orthodontic nursing qualification & oral health educator qualification, I have 10years dental experience & I have tried twice to get on the course with no success, I'm unsure of what these universities are looking for? It's very competitive :frown:
Reply 5
It's so unfair! When I was doing my dental nurse training it was the age that I should of done my a levels, they are really putting a barrier on professional development for nurses. Have u reapplied this year? If so where too?
Reply 6
Hi, I am also applying for a place on dhdt course. where are you all applying too??
Reply 7
I am going to re apply 2016, to Manchester & Sheffield I just find it so annoying & unfair when they dismiss someone who has all the professional qualifications & 10yrs hands on experience & life skills which a school leaver with A levels surely haven't ? Where and when are you applying?
Reply 8
Original post by Jyvonne92
It's so unfair! When I was doing my dental nurse training it was the age that I should of done my a levels, they are really putting a barrier on professional development for nurses. Have u reapplied this year? If so where too?

Why don't you study another qualification if that is what is takes.... Most uni's want a further qualification in a science and not just dental qualifications, as you have to prove you can study at a higher level than that.

Just think when the uni's get the appication forms you will be up against people applying with other degrees and diplomas and maybe 3 A levels.

How much do you want this ... you must prove to them that really are prepared to do whatever it takes (you know these are sought after places)!

BTW - at Bristol to go with your dental nurse qualification to apply you should have either;

1 biology or chemistry A level OR

a BTEC in science OR

An access to uni course which has a lot of biology in it OR

a level 4 diploma in biology

Good luck!
Hi everyone, are any of you applying to the London universities for 2015? Extreeeemely competitive I know but I live in reading and want to stay south!
X
Original post by charlotteharms
Hi everyone, are any of you applying to the London universities for 2015? Extreeeemely competitive I know but I live in reading and want to stay south!
X

where have you applieddd?
Original post by Jessio
where have you applieddd?

I haven't applied yet- but the London ones I'm applying to are eastman, the royal London and kings :-s scary! But I think it's definitely worth a shot 😊. What about you?
Original post by charlotteharms
I haven't applied yet- but the London ones I'm applying to are eastman, the royal London and kings :-s scary! But I think it's definitely worth a shot 😊. What about you?

are you going for the diplomaa? it's so scary knowing its competitive but hey hoooo better to try I guess. applied Essex, Teesside, birmingham, portsmouth and newcastle 😁
Original post by Jessio
are you going for the diplomaa? it's so scary knowing its competitive but hey hoooo better to try I guess. applied Essex, Teesside, birmingham, portsmouth and newcastle 😁

Hey sorry I haven't been on here in ages! Yeh applying for the diploma 😫 so scared I so desperately want to get in somewhere! Good luck xx
Hi,

Just thought I'd write on here to say I'm currently studying BSc DHT, so if anyone needs any advice or has any questions, don't hesitate to message me!

x
Original post by GabbyAdams
Hi,

Just thought I'd write on here to say I'm currently studying BSc DHT, so if anyone needs any advice or has any questions, don't hesitate to message me!

x

How was the intervieww, and what do they askk sort of
Original post by Jessio
How was the intervieww, and what do they askk sort of

I'm taking the Degree, so perhaps Diploma interviews may be a little different - my interview was fine - they asked a numerous amount of scenarios regarding to dental emergencies etc, and asked how you'd deal with them and reasons why you'd deal with it in such a way. They then questioned me on my knowledge on DHT etc.
Original post by GabbyAdams
I'm taking the Degree, so perhaps Diploma interviews may be a little different - my interview was fine - they asked a numerous amount of scenarios regarding to dental emergencies etc, and asked how you'd deal with them and reasons why you'd deal with it in such a way. They then questioned me on my knowledge on DHT etc.

I'm having three for the degree, feel like I'm unprepared on knowledge wise?? Is there a way you would suggest to improve thisss like I've read online watched videos but still not ready. Where did you interview?
Hi

Does anyone have any tips/ advice on interviews please? Or types of questions/ scenarios that may be asked?

Thanks

Bec

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jessio
I'm having three for the degree, feel like I'm unprepared on knowledge wise?? Is there a way you would suggest to improve thisss like I've read online watched videos but still not ready. Where did you interview?

I interviewed at Plymouth and it was a really nice informal interview - we were given scenarios etc so was really nice, you just need knowledge on the role of a therapist and dental hygienist etc. - I've heard Cardiff interviews are not so nice xx

Latest