The Student Room Group

Imperial GEP 2014 offer holders!!!

Hello everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has got into the GEP course at Imperial! It's all super exciting and It'd be fantastic to meet some of you before October :smile:!!!

So come on! Introduce yourselves :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!! Very pleased to say that I also have an offer :smile: (condition on achieving 2i in current degree but I'm on track for that so shouldn't be a problem!!)

Just wondering if people are firming imperial? I'm pretty sure I'm going to - got a place at KCL (GPEP) and am waiting to hear back post-interview from SOTON and have an interview next week at Warwick (which I am definitely going to)

For me, I think the choice would be between Imperial and Warwick (if I got an offer from there)... wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions?!
Reply 2
Yeh, getting a 2i should be a walk in the park for you after doing so well in your interviews! :biggrin: I'm also attending my Warwick interview next week (Thursday, afternoon) and also think the choice would be between those two if I got a Warwick offer. The main thing swaying me in Warwick's favour is that the course is so big and all graduates! But, Imperial is closer to home, so I could live at home in the latter years potentially, saving on loads of money! Also, all the medical professors at my college recommended that clinical medicine is best done in London....plus Imperial has a much better reputation for Medicine than Warwick. Imperial's elective...so exciting :tongue:.... is also 2 weeks longer! What do you reckon?
Reply 3
thanks :smile: the best thing of doing GEM over undergrad med is that degree classifications are way more of a sure thing than a levels haha.

loved your response because it might as well have been plucked out of my own thought process!!!!!!! I agree with everything you've mentioned - and I'm also from London so would save a huge amount of money living at home (only downside would be living at home in the first year might be difficult).

Currently, I'm very much swinging in imperial's direction but it wouldn't surprise me if that changes after friday's selection centre to push me back to 50:50 (that's what I was at the open day stage!). Pretty much thinking a no for KCL but I'm still worried about making the wrong decisions!!!!!
Reply 4
Congrats everyone! I have an offer too. Imperial was pretty much my favourite (along with King's, but we don't talk about King's since the rejection) so I'm probably going to firm it, although Southampton really impressed me. I have the Bart's selection day next week too but I'm not sure whether to withdraw or not. I feel like the more regimented lecturey structure at Imperial will suit me better than an open ended PBL course but still undecided. Any advice?
Reply 5
Haha! I definitely agree with you there! What degree are you doing? I graduated in June...currently on a gap year doing a load of random stuff haha!

I'm hoping to live out in the first year...but why will it be difficult living at home for you?

See, I think it's hard to make a wrong decision here because ultimately you'll be doing medicine, and ultimately you'll become a doctor, which is FANTASTIC! I never went to the open day....I went to Warwick when applying for my first degree and didn't like how the campus was in the middle of nowhere! Would feel like I was in a bubble all the time!
Reply 6
Original post by Shi_le
Congrats everyone! I have an offer too. Imperial was pretty much my favourite (along with King's, but we don't talk about King's since the rejection) so I'm probably going to firm it, although Southampton really impressed me. I have the Bart's selection day next week too but I'm not sure whether to withdraw or not. I feel like the more regimented lecturey structure at Imperial will suit me better than an open ended PBL course but still undecided. Any advice?

Congratulations! I have an offer too :smile: I've also got offers from Kings and Soton for the GEP courses, and so I'm in the same situation as you and don't know whether to go to my barts interview next week! Would also appreciate advice!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Congratulations to those of you that have just posted :smile:

mk621 is right about the course structure - if any of you are at all aware of the warwick structure, then its similar.

I am in a similar position (offers from KCL and imperial, waiting on SOTON and interview at warwick). I will definitely be going to my warwick interview for many reasons, firstly although I'm 90% sure i'll firm imperial i want to make sure i have all the information - and that includes how i feel about warwick post selection centre (for e.g.: I liked SOTON a lot more than I thought following the interview).

Imperial and KCL have many of the same advantages (so do Barts) because they are all London unis so on that level you can call them equal (these can also be disadvantages, for e.g.: living in london is possibly the most expensive thing one can do!!!). The major differences are: teaching style, NHS trusts, class size/integration.

Teaching style - you have to decide which on is for you!!

NHS Trusts - they are both great NHS trusts with fantastic reputation for clinical teaching so basically on par then. Differences may be in specialties of the hospitals involved, if you already have a feeling of what you might be interested in.

Class Size/Integration - imperial = 45, KCL = 28. I've heard imperial integration works better because GEMs always have some sort of GEM-only aspect where as KCL its only GEMs for year 1 and then you become part of the normal course. For some people this isn't a consideration where as I find it quite an important thing - especially because I'm currently at a uni where the lecturers know me so I can get help if I need it. Ive really appreciated that and think it would be nice to have in such a demanding course.

... anyway, thats just my thoughts!!! at least we're all so lucky to be in this kind of predicament!!!
Reply 8
jam-jam's response seems pretty spot on to me!

On a side note, for people who went to Warwick's open day, what were your thoughts?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Shi_le

Also, the Warwick course isn't PBL. It's integrated very much like King's, with case-based learning (like PBL but someone else decides the objectives and they're more guided) and lectures. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by mk621
Haha! I definitely agree with you there! What degree are you doing? I graduated in June...currently on a gap year doing a load of random stuff haha!

I'm hoping to live out in the first year...but why will it be difficult living at home for you?

See, I think it's hard to make a wrong decision here because ultimately you'll be doing medicine, and ultimately you'll become a doctor, which is FANTASTIC! I never went to the open day....I went to Warwick when applying for my first degree and didn't like how the campus was in the middle of nowhere! Would feel like I was in a bubble all the time!

oh cool - that was going to be my plan if i didn't get in anywhere this time around! have you enjoyed the time off?

well I'm not sure if it'll be a problem as such - obviously I'm very grateful as it'll be free (!!) and nice and comfortable (haha) i'm just thinking that maybe in terms of integrating in the course etc. having said that, we're all GEMs and its not UG anymore where things like that seem to matter more.

Yeah, I agree with you re Warwick. Im at St Andrews now which is in a small town consisting of three main streets (!!!) which was initially very tough to get used to but now its ok. With unis like that, its about what you put in and if you've got a good group of friends its ok. However, I do have the benefit of going home to a massive city!!!

Im still thinking that the main warwick positive is GEM-only medical faculty but how important is that?!
Reply 11
congratulations everyone! i also have an offer from imperial :smile: i have an interview at warwick on the 28th and i will definitely be going. i would love to go to imperial but the high living costs in london really put me off - i don't want any added stress*while studying!
Reply 12
Original post by jam-jam
oh cool - that was going to be my plan if i didn't get in anywhere this time around! have you enjoyed the time off?

well I'm not sure if it'll be a problem as such - obviously I'm very grateful as it'll be free (!!) and nice and comfortable (haha) i'm just thinking that maybe in terms of integrating in the course etc. having said that, we're all GEMs and its not UG anymore where things like that seem to matter more.

Yeah, I agree with you re Warwick. Im at St Andrews now which is in a small town consisting of three main streets (!!!) which was initially very tough to get used to but now its ok. With unis like that, its about what you put in and if you've got a good group of friends its ok. However, I do have the benefit of going home to a massive city!!!

Im still thinking that the main warwick positive is GEM-only medical faculty but how important is that?!

It hasn't been much time off tbf! Did a cruk internship over summer and been applying and got into an investment banking internship in the summer...I was just trying to keep my options open for next year I.e. Get a job if the medicine thing didn't work out. And now I'm doing 2 part-time jobs, tutoring, and volunteering...so in some ways it feel like I'm busier than I was at uni haha! Going travelling later in the year though, so that will be some nice relief!

When was your interview at imperial btw? I think I recall a girl who went to St. Andrews.
Reply 13
Original post by mk621
It hasn't been much time off tbf! Did a cruk internship over summer and been applying and got into an investment banking internship in the summer...I was just trying to keep my options open for next year I.e. Get a job if the medicine thing didn't work out. And now I'm doing 2 part-time jobs, tutoring, and volunteering...so in some ways it feel like I'm busier than I was at uni haha! Going travelling later in the year though, so that will be some nice relief!

When was your interview at imperial btw? I think I recall a girl who went to St. Andrews.

oh wow - very busy indeed!!!

interview was on Dec. 4th in the pm (I was called in almost half an hour early!!) and AFAIK, I'm the only one from my uni this year applying to imperial so might have been me!!!
Reply 14
Offer and I firmed imperial! They were always my first choice, have friends that were on the course and imperial definitely impressed me!!
Reply 15
Thanks for all the input. I know the courses will have all different teaching style elements but you have to stereotype sometimes I suppose. I went to QM for my ug degree and had occasional teaching by the Bart's lot - generally it was excellent.

Everything else aside, part of me wants to step away from QM/Barts purely on the basis of 'change is good', even though I know the course there works. Tough decision. I also always went into this not expecting any offers, let alone two, so I'm still in shock.
Reply 16
Original post by Shi_le
Thanks for all the input. I know the courses will have all different teaching style elements but you have to stereotype sometimes I suppose. I went to QM for my ug degree and had occasional teaching by the Bart's lot - generally it was excellent.

Everything else aside, part of me wants to step away from QM/Barts purely on the basis of 'change is good', even though I know the course there works. Tough decision. I also always went into this not expecting any offers, let alone two, so I'm still in shock.

I'm at QM at the moment and I have the same problem as you. Got the Bart's interview coming up, which I'll definitely attend. If I got an offer from them I have no idea what I'd do! Bart's teaching that I've had on my course has been excellent and I know the area well. I'd have to commute 1.5 hours (3 hour round trip) to get to Imperial or 1.5 hour round trip to Bart's. Not sure if I should let that sway me (can't afford to live out).
Reply 17
Original post by Freyr
Offer and I firmed imperial! They were always my first choice, have friends that were on the course and imperial definitely impressed me!!

A huge congrats for securing your first choice!
Reply 18
Original post by mzoorw
I'm at QM at the moment and I have the same problem as you. Got the Bart's interview coming up, which I'll definitely attend. If I got an offer from them I have no idea what I'd do! Bart's teaching that I've had on my course has been excellent and I know the area well. I'd have to commute 1.5 hours (3 hour round trip) to get to Imperial or 1.5 hour round trip to Bart's. Not sure if I should let that sway me (can't afford to live out).

My sister did something similar (3hr round trip) when she was at LSE. She hated it, so I definitely think it's a factor to consider.
Original post by jam-jam
oh wow - very busy indeed!!!

interview was on Dec. 4th in the pm (I was called in almost half an hour early!!) and AFAIK, I'm the only one from my uni this year applying to imperial so might have been me!!!

Hey congratulations on your offer. Jam-Jam what time was your interview, I had mine on the 4th too and I think I remember you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending