The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

What is surry uni like?

hello people,

i am looking to go to surrey university to study Computer Science. Please could you tell me wht the course is like at surrey uni and if it is a good choice, furthermore, what is the accomodation like at the uni, is it good bad or just normal? Also, i have a friend that is looking on going to surrey uni but wants to do English and Creative writing, what is that course liek and is it a good coures to join? please can you help me?! Many thanks :smile:
crap
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by mentallysound
crap

how come you say it is crap?
Reply 3
Went on the open day on Wednesday.

Don't know about your course, but the accommodation ranges from good to abysmal. The shared bathroom accommodation looks like you are in a prison cell and the corridors are really really close together. Only one way basically, however the en-suite rooms are really good. Clean and tidy and fairly spacious. Just depends how much you are ready to pay.

Nice place overall, and the bus fare is only 80p to town which is convenient. I really liked the uni overall.
Great Uni, great prospects to follow, and it's in a good location.
my sister goes there and I've visited - it's pretty good
Reply 6
Original post by ahmad94
Went on the open day on Wednesday.

Don't know about your course, but the accommodation ranges from good to abysmal. The shared bathroom accommodation looks like you are in a prison cell and the corridors are really really close together. Only one way basically, however the en-suite rooms are really good. Clean and tidy and fairly spacious. Just depends how much you are ready to pay.

Nice place overall, and the bus fare is only 80p to town which is convenient. I really liked the uni overall.

That's the thing though, the shared bathroom accommodation here is a LOT nicer than at a lot of other universities. Compared with a house, or a nice hotel or something it'll always be not as nice, but trust me, even the worst here is still a lot better than what you can get elsewhere.
Reply 7
Original post by Dan1909
That's the thing though, the shared bathroom accommodation here is a LOT nicer than at a lot of other universities. Compared with a house, or a nice hotel or something it'll always be not as nice, but trust me, even the worst here is still a lot better than what you can get elsewhere.

That is very worrying. Very worrying indeed.

I felt really claustrophobic there. And if that is not the worst, that I really need to choose the right accommodation. I mean, the bathrooms and rooms were not bad, but the corridor felt like jail, provided a real rape-y feel.
Reply 8
Original post by ahmad94
That is very worrying. Very worrying indeed.

I felt really claustrophobic there. And if that is not the worst, that I really need to choose the right accommodation. I mean, the bathrooms and rooms were not bad, but the corridor felt like jail, provided a real rape-y feel.

I don't really see it, a corridor is just... a corridor. It's a pretty standard size wherever you go, there's only so much you can do to make the designs nicer I guess.

As with most things and places, it all comes down to price. If you want something nicer, it's generally going to cost a bit more regardless of where you go.
If you ever need the help of campus security they are the nicest guys you could meet. Especially Peter, he's a sweetheart. If you get on their bad side or cause a problem though, you're in their bad book forever!
Reply 10
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
There is campus security?? Most of the time you simply forget they exist!

You must be a naughty person to notice them! :wink:

They're really useful should you ever have to use them though.

In the five years I've been here I'd had to call them out a handful of times, and every time they've been brilliant, can't fault them at all!
Reply 11
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
I'm assuming mostly for noise related incidents in accommodation?

Bingo. It's rare but unavoidable in university halls, but any time it's happened security have been and sorted it very quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending