The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

their marking of performances really is evil...2 slightly out of tune notes, and you're down a grade category! And that's really hard for a flute player!!
Reply 21
They can do what they like. There ARE other exam boards.
sexysax
I did AQA GCSE and A-level and found it amazing and really good. The syllabus was great. It's all down to what people are interested in and what people regard as being important, and everyone differs.

Exactly :smile:

All Exam boards are evil to an extent, just depends what kind of evil you prefer :p:
Reply 23
Angelharpist

All Exam boards are evil to an extent, just depends what kind of evil you prefer :p:

I prefer the evil where you might drop one grade...not the Edexcel kind of evil where people with grade 8 distinction fail the performance module:p: .
Reply 24
Zoecb
They can do what they like. There ARE other exam boards.

So we can't tell an exam board to keep a subject because there are others? But if we can't tell one to keep it, we can't tell others to start it!! Sorry, I know they're private businesses, but they have to understand that they are only in existence because of the service they provide. If they drop Music Tech, what else are they going to drop? Any country which starts losing subjects from a syllabus because it is not a 'profitable operation' should take a serious look at itself.
Reply 25
Alex Mann
So we can't tell an exam board to keep a subject because there are others? But if we can't tell one to keep it, we can't tell others to start it!! Sorry, I know they're private businesses, but they have to understand that they are only in existence because of the service they provide. If they drop Music Tech, what else are they going to drop? Any country which starts losing subjects from a syllabus because it is not a 'profitable operation' should take a serious look at itself.

If we are going to accept a situation where education becomes a business that must make a profit, this will certainly not be the only subject to suffer. CDT? Archeology? Film Studies? :frown:
Reply 26
fine crystal
strange.. i did music tech (on edexcel.. i think)
i always thought it existed sort of to complement A level music, so there would be people around to record the performances, and it's true that it is an expensive subject to run.

part of the problem is that many people doing music tech seem to be lazy and have little inclination to work at coursework completion or revision. i hope this won't come back to haunt me but it seems that parts of the course have been dumbed down to compensate: in AS there is an exam which is the same every year, and in which it is permitted that research be done on the questions beforehand- our teachers went through it with us, we learnt the answers, and got something like full marks. in the A2 paper there are questions which simply involve writing down something you see on a screen.

for me, it was an enjoyable course, but i think it fulfils a function for schools to have people able to use mixing desks etc, rather than something academic, because i found that classes and teachers were not really that committed to any great amount of learning, just getting through the course in some manner or other. a lot of things i didn't know until i came to revision at the end

so it's difficult... A2 music should definitely be offered by all schools, and a music technology department is necessary to helping the music course.. but maybe a greater onus should be on students to actually get them to work, and this might make things easier for markers and examiners (in my class 75% of the coursework had to wait to be marked because people hadn't sent the right stuff exactly)

Sorry your experience of Music Tech was rather negative - maybe it isn't taken seriously in your college. Music and Music Tech are certainly complementary - students who do both usually do very well as there are skills in each that help the other. But Music Tech also gives an approach to music that suits some students better than the traditional Music A level. Often the rockers and jazzers will feel much more at home - more working off the cuff, less theory and spending most of your time on the computer or in a recording studio. There is also no performance requirement which is a relief to some folks. :redface:
Reply 27
sexysax
I prefer the evil where you might drop one grade...not the Edexcel kind of evil where people with grade 8 distinction fail the performance module:p: .

Don't mean to sound harsh but a Grade 8 doesn't guarantee a good performance on the day of a recital. I have known excellent performing students who went to pieces in their recital or simply made a poor choice of programme. It is a lot to ask at A level though - a twenty min recital is about the same as the finals performance paper at Oxford!:eek:
Reply 28
NViasko
I thought it was a registered charity? If they did withraw it, it may adversely affect potential future careers in the music industry.

Not a charity, nor even charitable! And you're right about the industry - one of my Music Tech students went on to do the Tonmeister course at Guildford and worked on the last Harry Potter movie as WORK EXPERIENCE! Better than making tea and doing the photocopying.:biggrin:
Reply 29
Fletch
Don't mean to sound harsh but a Grade 8 doesn't guarantee a good performance on the day of a recital. I have known excellent performing students who went to pieces in their recital or simply made a poor choice of programme. It is a lot to ask at A level though - a twenty min recital is about the same as the finals performance paper at Oxford!:eek:

Of course I know that, I'm referring to people who have umpteen qualifications e.g. grade 8 distinction, and perform a perfectly good recital. Of course odd little changes will happen on the day, they always do, but some of Edexcel's marking has definitely being awol, and it's costing people places at uni and I just find that not worth bothering with.
Reply 30
Alex Mann

If we force them to run at a loss, they'll make cutbacks in other areas. Why should other subjects suffer?
If it's that important that we keep a subject, the government should subsidise it, as currently happens with bus routes.
Reply 31
sexysax
Of course I know that, I'm referring to people who have umpteen qualifications e.g. grade 8 distinction, and perform a perfectly good recital. Of course odd little changes will happen on the day, they always do, but some of Edexcel's marking has definitely being awol, and it's costing people places at uni and I just find that not worth bothering with.

I wholeheartedly agree that the marking can be inconsistent and arbitrary. It needs to be challenged every time. Unfortunatley they also charge for that so people often don't think it's worth it. I've had students whose mark was raised by 18 :eek: marks on remark taking them from a B to an A; certainly affects UCAS.
Reply 32
Well folks, the news is (I think) good. Under the pressure of protesting teachers, students, media and even politicians Edexcel have announced that they will offer a new 4 module Music Tech course and revamp the 6 module Music course. Now is the time to let them know what should be kept and what should be changed, what is really useful (and there is plenty) and what is a waste of time (Structured Commentary). Who says nobody listens! :top:
Reply 33
I think you will find they are in actual fact a registered charity.
Reply 34
Apagg
If we force them to run at a loss, they'll make cutbacks in other areas. Why should other subjects suffer?
If it's that important that we keep a subject, the government should subsidise it, as currently happens with bus routes.

Totally agree. I don't think the arts have ever been able to exist (freely) without subsidy - if our culture is to be decided by market forces then our legacy to future generations will be Celebrity Love Island and Big Brother :rolleyes:
Reply 35
Edexcel, as far as I'm aware, are the only profit-making exam board. The question isn't whether they should drop Music, it's whether the government should drop them and finally give this country's education a chance. I reckon the answer's pretty straightforward.
Reply 36
zxczxc
Edexcel, as far as I'm aware, are the only profit-making exam board. The question isn't whether they should drop Music, it's whether the government should drop them and finally give this country's education a chance. I reckon the answer's pretty straightforward.

Meaning what, exactly?
I'm not a fan of the EDEXCEL music syllabus, as it's very ambiguous, however, they should not drop the music courses as they are th eonly exam board which allow candidates to record their performances, enabling candidates to re-record if necessary, whereas other exam boards usually bring in an invigilator...

I would like to know where the money for the course has gone, as our music room, well 'cupboard' was appaling. We had old keybords, even then there were not enough for every pupil, and we only had 3 computers...
Reply 38
Fletch
I wholeheartedly agree that the marking can be inconsistent and arbitrary. It needs to be challenged every time. Unfortunatley they also charge for that so people often don't think it's worth it. I've had students whose mark was raised by 18 :eek: marks on remark taking them from a B to an A; certainly affects UCAS.

Yeah, I've known bigger jumps in remarks and it's just ridiculous. Maybe now after the numerous complaints they will start to listen. Although I use and prefer AQA, I hate seeing candidates uni applications because of stupid Edexcel marking.

guitargirl - AQA at AS allow you to record in your own time with no audience and send the CD off. At A2 they have an examiner. Edexcel as far as I know, require some form of audience to be there and you perform in a sort of concert surrounding.
Reply 39
sexysax
Edexcel as far as I know, require some form of audience to be there and you perform in a sort of concert surrounding.

True. At AS the performance is in a "class concert" scenario and can often be redone. At A2 it should be a semi-public recital - very stressful for some. They did do visiting examiners for a couple of years but there were so many complaints about their incompetence that it was dropped.

Latest

Trending

Trending