The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography 12th May and 16th May 2014

Poll

What is your current grade?

I am studying this and haven't seen a thread on it.Please comment below about how the course is going, where you are going on your field trip etc.I think that it seems ridiculous how some of the Unit 2 papers have Maths in and some don't because those sorts of things would severely affect your grades(for people like me easy but a lot of people find maths hard who study Geography find Maths hard).I would also like to know where the picture below is(I am confused between Inner City(flats),Suburbs(lots of semi-detached houses) and Rural-Urban Fringe(lots of green space).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2677981 (Unofficial Mark Scheme)
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Geography's going okay for me. I took it as a 5th AS with the intention of dropping it once I'd decided between that and Further Maths, but never got to that point and so have just stuck with it. Bit pointless dropping it now, considering as we've nearly finished the course. Rivers and Coasts is fairly straightforward, Population less so. Too many case studies! I find all the Geopolitics of Energy really interesting, but I can't seem to get above 12 or 13 out of 15 when we practise the longer questions. :frown:
Is the picture above from the population topic? Looks like suburbs to me, but I'm not 100% convinced. Which optional modules are you taking? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by drowninginsound
Geography's going okay for me. I took it as a 5th AS with the intention of dropping it once I'd decided between that and Further Maths, but never got to that point and so have just stuck with it. Bit pointless dropping it now, considering as we've nearly finished the course. Rivers and Coasts is fairly straightforward, Population less so. Too many case studies! I find all the Geopolitics of Energy really interesting, but I can't seem to get above 12 or 13 out of 15 when we practise the longer questions. :frown:
Is the picture above from the population topic? Looks like suburbs to me, but I'm not 100% convinced. Which optional modules are you taking? :smile:

I'm taking Rivers,Population,Coasts and Energy so the same as you and you seem to be well ahead of me because there is still a lot of energy and coasts left I am up to coastal processes and James May's energy ideas. I took that picture of a place that is in the area I live because I believe it shows something you wouldn't expect from the Burgess model flats, semi-detached houses and lots of countryside all put on top of each other it doesn't seem to fit with the model. Where I live looks a lot more like suburbs, even though it is literally two stops on the bus away and is in the same area that I live in but just going to the bus stop and looking right you can see loads of trees which mark out loads of countryside.
Original post by Dalek1099
I'm taking Rivers,Population,Coasts and Energy so the same as you and you seem to be well ahead of me because there is still a lot of energy and coasts left I am up to coastal processes and James May's energy ideas. I took that picture of a place that is in the area I live because I believe it shows something you wouldn't expect from the Burgess model flats, semi-detached houses and lots of countryside all put on top of each other it doesn't seem to fit with the model. Where I live looks a lot more like suburbs, even though it is literally two stops on the bus away and is in the same area that I live in but just going to the bus stop and looking right you can see loads of trees which mark out loads of countryside.

I don't think we're particularly ahead of you, but our teachers claim we'll be finished a week or two after half term. There's only 6 in my class, but we'd be able to go a lot quicker were it not for 1 or 2 holding us back. -_-

Seems like you've gone into a lot of detail over different populated areas. We had one lesson where we brushed over the concentric circle model etc, and that was about it! :colondollar: I think our teacher expects us to do a lot of extra reading outside of lessons...
Reply 5
Original post by drowninginsound
I don't think we're particularly ahead of you, but our teachers claim we'll be finished a week or two after half term. There's only 6 in my class, but we'd be able to go a lot quicker were it not for 1 or 2 holding us back. -_-

Seems like you've gone into a lot of detail over different populated areas. We had one lesson where we brushed over the concentric circle model etc, and that was about it! :colondollar: I think our teacher expects us to do a lot of extra reading outside of lessons...

My class won't be finished till at least Easter or a couple of weeks after that.I am going on my fieldtrip at Half Term in Blencathra and it will be on measuring rivers.
My class won't be finished till at least Easter or a couple of weeks after that.I am going on my fieldtrip at Half Term in Blencathra and it will be on measuring rivers.

Our school went to Blencathra last year, (except I didn't go as I only moved to my school this year). We're going to a centre in Malham for a couple of days in March but it's annoying because they could really have condensed all the work into one day which meant we wouldn't have to miss so much school. :frown:
Reply 7
Unit 2 Geog will ALWAYS have some maths, that is either standard deviation or spermans rank.

I am doing rivers, coasts, population and health. Coasts is the only one that I find difficult probably because I didn't do coasts in GCSE. Health is relatively straight forward and case studies are easy to remember.

We are going to slapton leys in devon for our field trip :smile: I hope it doesn't rain.
I am studying this and haven't seen a thread on it.Please comment below about how the course is going, where you are going on your field trip etc.I think that it seems ridiculous how some of the Unit 2 papers have Maths in and some don't because those sorts of things would severely affect your grades(for people like me easy but a lot of people find maths hard who study Geography find Maths hard).I would also like to know where the picture below is(I am confused between Inner City(flats),Suburbs(lots of semi-detached houses) and Rural-Urban Fringe(lots of green space).

I'd say it's a suburban area. I think the most complex piece of maths in geography is probably Spearman's rank (and I'm doing stats in AS maths this year) but other than that I think the maths is minimal but standard and what you should know if you want to study geography. Spearman's rank takes a while to get your head around but if you just calculate it using your data beforehand and memorise a couple of figures I'd imagine that'd be okay? I haven't really looked at the unit 2 paper yet. I'm petrified of unit 1!
Original post by subject1
Unit 2 Geog will ALWAYS have some maths, that is either standard deviation or spermans rank.

I am doing rivers, coasts, population and health. Coasts is the only one that I find difficult probably because I didn't do coasts in GCSE. Health is relatively straight forward and case studies are easy to remember.

We are going to slapton leys in devon for our field trip :smile: I hope it doesn't rain.

I went to Slapton, the weather was awful on the first day while we went on the coastal walk - absolutely freezing! It brightened up on the second day for rivers :smile:

Food's good, beds are not.
Reply 10
Original post by Pabblethefish
I went to Slapton, the weather was awful on the first day while we went on the coastal walk - absolutely freezing! It brightened up on the second day for rivers :smile:

Food's good, beds are not.

Well half of western england is under water so it isnt looking good :P.
Reply 11
Original post by subject1

This isn't true Jan 13 and Jun 12 don't have any maths, Jan 12 has a mean calculation and you have to go back to Jun 11 to get standard deviation and Jan 11 for spearman's rank.I haven't got the Jun 13 paper for Unit 2 so I don't know whether it had any maths in it.
Reply 12
Hi,

I am studying Energy, Cold environments, population and rivers.

I was just wondering what textbooks/revision guides are you guys using. Since my teacher has given me three textbooks with different amount of detail in each one and I'm not sure which one to use when I start revising.

Funnily enough The nelson thrones textbook which is 'aqa endorsed' seems to give the smallest amount of detail and my teacher has warned us that you'll just about scrape a B if you use that textbook.

The other 2 vary, with 'geography an integrated approach' by Nelson thrones (different book to above) being almost 700 pages long!! (obviously the one recommened by my teacher haha).

This is the thing I hate most about geography. You never know how much of the vast amount of content you actually have to learn!

I have looked at the AQA website and the outlined curriculum for each topic is ridiculously brief, barely 2 paragraphs if not that.

So if any one has any idea where I can find like a checklist of the content you actually need to know for each topic in reasonable detail, that'd be really helpful.

Or any other resources that are of good use?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
I'm really enjoying geography at AS, to be honest a lot of it is common sense and very similar to GCSE.
Reply 14
I'm doing these exams too! Don't know where yet, but within the next few weeks our field work is at a river. The topics we are studying are coasts, rivers, populations and health. All very interesting I would say, and the rivers and population topics follow on well from GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Aryaaaan
Hi,

I am studying Energy, Cold environments, population and rivers.

I was just wondering what textbooks/revision guides are you guys using. Since my teacher has given me three textbooks with different amount of detail in each one and I'm not sure which one to use when I start revising.

Funnily enough The nelson thrones textbook which is 'aqa endorsed' seems to give the smallest amount of detail and my teacher has warned us that you'll just about scrape a B if you use that textbook.

The other 2 vary, with 'geography an integrated approach' by Nelson thrones (different book to above) being almost 700 pages long!! (obviously the one recommened by my teacher haha).

This is the thing I hate most about geography. You never know how much of the vast amount of content you actually have to learn!

I have looked at the AQA website and the outlined curriculum for each topic is ridiculously brief, barely 2 paragraphs if not that.

So if any one has any idea where I can find like a checklist of the content you actually need to know for each topic in reasonable detail, that'd be really helpful.

Or any other resources that are of good use?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate the AQA Textbook it has too much detail and is very confusing I don't understand a lot of it I would still advise reading some of it(it does a good section on the DTM for example) but a lot of it is garbage.I prefer the CGP textbook I find that it is very short and simplified which is exactly what you want for revision I think.
Reply 16
Ahh I've got that book and I think that it is probably the most specific and least waffly. However I'm just a bit apprehensive of using it solely for revision as I think it is too brief. I mean 10 pages on each topic is tiny compared to the usual 30-40 in the textbook. So I don't know! Arghh
Reply 17
I am doing both exams again, as I am retaking the year. The June 2013 paper for unit 1 was generally quite good in terms of the questions they asked. I did Population, Global health, Rivers and Cold environments. I got a high B on that paper and a D on the field work one. Don't be fooled if your teachers say that unit 2 is easy as it does require a lot of revision on your fieldwork and you need to be really clear to get the marks. Unit 1 I find as long as you revise thoroughly then you will be OK. Make sure you understand the wording of the questions e.g. for population if it asks for population structure it is asking about either the pyramids and describing the shape of them or it is asking for problems with youthful/ageing populations. But if it is asking for population change it is asking normally as to how countries have tried to decrease/increase birth rate. This seems to catch a lot of people out. Also when revising revise every little detail as they can ask really small questions on things you haven't really thought they would ask you about, refer to the wording of the specs quite closely so if a question comes up you know exactly what you are writing about.

And about the statistical tests for unit 2, they come up rarely as they normally rely on maps. Spearman's rank came up in June 2013 so it is unlikely to come up this year. Also if you get a statistical test it is normally a gift as you normally get 4 marks for just completing the table, i.e. ranking the data sets and squaring them which if you learned how to do the equations is really simple.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Aryaaaan
Ahh I've got that book and I think that it is probably the most specific and least waffly. However I'm just a bit apprehensive of using it solely for revision as I think it is too brief. I mean 10 pages on each topic is tiny compared to the usual 30-40 in the textbook. So I don't know! Arghh

Please don't rely on textbooks, use the textbooks to fill blanks in your knowledge or to add more detail to case studies but don't use them solely for revision. A lot of them are very vague and don't give you the depth of knowledge needed.
Hey, I'm studying Rivers, Population, Food and Cold Environments.

What 15 mark questions do you think will come up? Do you think Malthus will come up?

For food, I think there will be a question on 'the role of transnational corporations in food production, processing and distribution' because there hasn't been a major one of this question in all the past papers that I've seen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending