The Student Room Group

Italian dilemma!!!!

Hey all!

My friend has a question and he asked me if I knew the answer to it; I didn't, but I said you guys might be able to help him.

His girlfriend studies Law in Italy and wants to come over to practise as a lawyer over in the UK - what does she need to do? Does her degree cover her? Can she go straight to an LPC, or does she need to do a conversion course? Would she be better off establishing herself in Italy with a company, which has UK offices and asking for a transfer?

Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to shed on this for us :smile:
Reply 1
fuglyduckling
Hey all!

My friend has a question and he asked me if I knew the answer to it; I didn't, but I said you guys might be able to help him.

His girlfriend studies Law in Italy and wants to come over to practise as a lawyer over in the UK - what does she need to do? Does her degree cover her? Can she go straight to an LPC, or does she need to do a conversion course? Would she be better off establishing herself in Italy with a company, which has UK offices and asking for a transfer?

Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to shed on this for us :smile:

If she qualified as a lawyer in Italy, she could then be admitted to the Roll in England and Wales by passing the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test.
If she merely had a law degree from an Italian University I don't believe it would count as a qualifying law degree and I suspect she would have to do the conversion course before the LPC.
Reply 2
yeah, definitely some kind of conversion/transfer course will be needed.
Reply 3
Tell him to go to www.lawsoc.org.uk and read the section on European Lawyers transfering in

Latest

Trending

Trending