The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Spanish Listening/Reading/Writing 2014

I couldn't find one for this year so thought this would be useful

I'm currently struggling with my literary text - Casa de Bernarda Alba - and movie - Maria Llena Eres de Gracia

I did a practice question for CBDA and I got 33/45, which is pretty low considering how I'm aiming for an A*, but my teacher's comments are useless. he keeps saying to me "you haven't developed a writing style you're losing marks because of it" and i literally do not understand what he means

I'm thinking I'll just try and come up with a template which I basically just input adjectives and quotes etc to make it relevant to the question - I have a good command of the language , but my teacher just seems completely anal about the way I do it

anyone got any words of wisdom?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi - thanks for starting this - I am also studying La Casa for my written exam, and am too aiming for an A*.

Don't be too disheartened by 33 - it is out of 40, not 45, and that is at least an A. Was it your first one? My first one was 30/40, but having now done 8/9, I am managing to scrape into 37-9/40. We could send each other our essays, with marked annotations perhaps to learn/improve?

My current structure is :

Intro -

two/three sentences summarising what the play is about, quoting the subtitle of the play.

Then linking that to a bit of relevant context e.g. if it was a theme based essay, I would say that the central theme is oppression, which manifests itself through religion, tradition, mourning etc and that Lorca was adverse to the conservative oppression that existed in society at the time.

Then really clearly state (although it sounds a bit GCSE it works) what you are going to answer e.g. if it is a question on 'dramatic techniques' you could say - I will be focussing on the central techniques of colour and light, symbolism, cyclical structure and exposition (makes it really clear, and it attends to the mark scheme which says 'clear structure and logical progression.')

Then I normally do three paragraphs, starting with a clear topic sentence, i.e. what the paragraph will be about, filling it with three, four quotes/examples of the points I am making, and sometimes a bit of context. I finish each para. by linking it back to the question.

Conclusions are a little more tricky, but I would say that whatever the question is about, don't just repeat your three paragraphs or what you said in your intro - try to come up with something a bit original. E.g. if its about techniques, you could say that these techniques are ultimately used to highlight Lorca's opposition to many aspects of society, and show that ultimately, the five daughters are never going to be anything more than 'mujeres sin hombres'.

Hope this helps - am happy to exchange essay Qs - think that could be really useful. When is your oral exam?

Original post by hotliketea
I couldn't find one for this year so thought this would be useful

I'm currently struggling with my literary text - Casa de Bernarda Alba - and movie - Maria Llena Eres de Gracia

I did a practice question for CBDA and I got 33/45, which is pretty low considering how I'm aiming for an A*, but my teacher's comments are useless. he keeps saying to me "you haven't developed a writing style you're losing marks because of it" and i literally do not understand what he means

I'm thinking I'll just try and come up with a template which I basically just input adjectives and quotes etc to make it relevant to the question - I have a good command of the language , but my teacher just seems completely anal about the way I do it

anyone got any words of wisdom?
Hey, Im also studying La Casa and I have been given the task to write about the heroes of the play? I was wondering what your ideas would be on this topic and if you could give me some example? x
Hey guys, I am doing Guerra Civil Española. I am so stuck / panicked this close to the exam as to how to structure the 'events+their effect on the country' question. I chose to write about la Toma del Alcazar and la batalla del Ebro. Are you guys discussing the DIRECT causes of the events, and ignoring the dictatorship. Two teachers have told me different things! I wanted an A*, but i don't think it going to happen..
Reply 4
Anyone doing Guillermo D T? Any tips etc?
Reply 5
Hi, I'm only in AS Spanish, but if anybody that reads this is also resitting their AS module or just wants to talk in Spanish a little more, I'm available to chat/revise topics etc if you want :smile: if not, good look with your A2 exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abi_Watson
Hey, Im also studying La Casa and I have been given the task to write about the heroes of the play? I was wondering what your ideas would be on this topic and if you could give me some example? x

I would go down the line of Adela being a hero, for her fight against oppression and then maybe also say that Poncia is a hero, as she is everywhere and plays the role of 'mother that Bernarda fails' and then I would end by saying that Maria Josefa is the true hero, through her madness which is actually a lucid portrayal of the girls' situation.

So maybe you could do
Intro - quick summary of the play, what Lorca wanted to show and context of the time, and how one of the ways he conveyed his message was through depiction of heroes.

Para 1 Adela + quotes + analysis
Para 2 poncia + quotes + analysis
Para 3 Maria Josefa + quotes and analysis

Conc sum up, link it back to his message and say something like "y as podemos ver que sobre todo, a travs su ilustracin de una gama de hroes, Lorca quera mostrar que estas 'mujeres sin hombres en los pueblos de Espaa, (el subtitulo de la obra), siempre van a ser oprimidas, sin salida y sin esperanza."

That way You have answered the question, super clear structure and you have also shown wider contextual understanding that will get you into top band for content (21-25/25)

I would go down the line of Adela being a hero, for her fight against oppression and then maybe also say that Poncia is a hero, as she is everywhere and plays the role of 'mother that Bernarda fails' and then I would end by saying that Maria Josefa is the true hero, through her madness which is actually a lucid portrayal of the girls' situation.

So maybe you could do
Intro - quick summary of the play, what Lorca wanted to show and context of the time, and how one of the ways he conveyed his message was through depiction of heroes.

Para 1 Adela + quotes + analysis
Para 2 poncia + quotes + analysis
Para 3 Maria Josefa + quotes and analysis

Conc sum up, link it back to his message and say something like "y as podemos ver que sobre todo, a travs su ilustracin de una gama de hroes, Lorca quera mostrar que estas 'mujeres sin hombres en los pueblos de Espaa, (el subtitulo de la obra), siempre van a ser oprimidas, sin salida y sin esperanza."

That way You have answered the question, super clear structure and you have also shown wider contextual understanding that will get you into top band for content (21-25/25)

Quick Reply

Latest