The Student Room Group

Uni Loans as a Muslim

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Compact
I formulated my opinion and ultimately my decision literally until the last moment when I applied for the loan which was in August. Bare in mind the deadline is long before that. I did consult a sheikh and had guidance from my family as well. I'm not here to tell the OP what he should and shouldn't do because that is between him and Allah. You and I cannot guide anyone, remember that.

36 times worse than Zina? Really bro!? You're not even looking at individuals circumstances and whether or not taking the loan is their only choice. This forceful fear your throwing around is not gonna help or guide anyone, but rather put them off what you're trying to say.

And I'm a girl :yes: Not a bro

Thankfully, the OP is my close friend, goes to my school and we have been debating about this for a week or so with another friend of mine.

Yes, if you knowingly take part in Riba, it is 36 times worse than Zina. It's a hadith.

Also: Abu Huraira said that the Messenger of Allah(Peace be upon him) said: Riba is of seventy different kinds, the least grave being equivalent to a man marrying (i.e. having sexual intercourse with) his own mother.
(Ibn Majah, Baihaqi)

I'm not one to judge, I'm just giving knowledge. Also, under no circumstances is university a necessity, as a Ummah, we should educate ourselves, but there are other alternatives such as grants(if your eligable), family members, or islamic loans.
Reply 41
Original post by Skip_Snip
There isn't definetely an after-life (I think that's what that means?) while there is definetely an Earthly life.

When you die and there's nothing, you'll feel pretty silly for following a set of daft rules :tongue:

The correct spelling is: 'definitely', for your information. You could have all the money in the world, all the desires you ever wanted on this 'Earthy life' and then what? None of that will come in the grave with you. The only thing you'll have is your bad deeds, and good deeds. You'll understand later.
Original post by oneabdi
I'm a Muslim and I would just like to ask if any fellow Muslims move into uni halls, how did you pay for your accommodation and tuition fees without a loan? If you did take out a loan, what made you do so?

I'm just interested as I would like to move into uni halls when I go to University but on top of moving there, I would have to pay accommodation as well as tuition fees. I'd like to pay them without a loan if possible.

Somehow I'm failing to see why this question is exclusive to Muslims... :confused:
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Someone paid for it/travelled from home.

Unfortunately, loans in the UK are interest based.

Dumbest thing I've read. You can't commit sin in order to achieve good.

"Let's gamble all our money and give everything to charity"

Don't you support the 9/11 attacks?
Reply 44
Original post by windy123
The correct spelling is: 'definitely', for your information. You could have all the money in the world, all the desires you ever wanted on this 'Earthy life' and then what? None of that will come in the grave with you. The only thing you'll have is your bad deeds, and good deeds. You'll understand later.

Thanks for the correction:smile: and seeing as though there is nothing after death, it doesn't matter what you take there, be it good deeds, bad deeds, or your material possessions.
Reply 45
Thankfully, the OP is my close friend, goes to my school and we have been debating about this for a week or so with another friend of mine.

Yes, if you knowingly take part in Riba, it is 36 times worse than Zina. It's a hadith.

Also: Abu Huraira said that the Messenger of Allah(Peace be upon him) said: Riba is of seventy different kinds, the least grave being equivalent to a man marrying (i.e. having sexual intercourse with) his own mother.
(Ibn Majah, Baihaqi)

I'm not one to judge, I'm just giving knowledge. Also, under no circumstances is university a necessity, as a Ummah, we should educate ourselves, but there are other alternatives such as grants(if your eligable), family members, or islamic loans.

We definitely can't educate ourselves tbh
Reply 46
Original post by Skip_Snip
Thanks for the correction:smile: and seeing as though there is nothing after death, it doesn't matter what you take there, be it good deeds, bad deeds, or your material possessions.

That's your belief. By the way, what a coincidence the way the earth is perfectly intact exactly the way it is. I mean, it's shire luck, that if earth was any closer, we would burn up and if we were any further, we would freeze. Plus, we are the only planet of 8 that has life, wow!

By the way, I'm assuming you believe in the big bang?
Reply 47
Watch this;

[video="youtube;DT56CVn2NXI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT56CVn2NXI[/video]
Reply 48
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Watch this;

[video="youtube;DT56CVn2NXI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT56CVn2NXI[/video]

Exactly! Muslims don't understand how much of a sin riba is. There's a verse in the Qur'an similar to the title of the video.
Around the subject of religion, OP, I believe most sensible people call it the 'pick and choose' culture.

It revolves around picking out what you like about collective lies and then only applying a part of this to yourself.

For example, Leviticus and Deuteronomy quite CLEARLY state that Christians/Jews/whatever can't eat blood, yet black pudding sales soar throughout the Christian international celebration called 'Christmas'.

-shrugs- Why bother with it at all?
(edited 10 years ago)
Can I just ask why there are non-muslims commenting on a thread about 'Uni loans as a Muslim'?

Also, the discussion of uni loans is not opinion-based because then everyone will have their own view on it and you can then just pick what you thinks sounds nice. You need to get a proper fatwa/ruling from a scholar.
Reply 51
By the way, what a coincidence the way the earth is perfectly intact exactly the way it is. I mean, it's shire luck, that if earth was any closer, we would burn up and if we were any further, we would freeze.

Yup, it is quite a coincidence. And yet throughout the billions of years the Earth has existed, it's only been capable of supporting life for less than half of these.

Plus, we are the only planet of 8 that has life, wow!

Because the others are either too close or too far, as you correctly noticed :wink:

By the way, I'm assuming you believe in the big bang?

Undecided on that front.
Are my Muslim friends who took out tuition loans bad Muslims?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by NothingToSeeHere

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not for us to say whether they're bad Muslims or not.
Original post by Reform
It's not for us to say whether they're bad Muslims or not.

But they're going against the Quran?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps, they weren't educated on the subject. Are they practicing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't say, but if many of my Muslim friends do, then they are.

They constantly purport that they support every facet of Islam, and that anything bad about it is just a 'misinterpretation'.
Original post by strawberry93
Can I just ask why there are non-muslims commenting on a thread about 'Uni loans as a Muslim'?

Also, the discussion of uni loans is not opinion-based because then everyone will have their own view on it and you can then just pick what you thinks sounds nice. You need to get a proper fatwa/ruling from a scholar.

What happens if two fatwa contradict each other?

Who qualifies these men to be scholars? Other scholars?

Do you see my problem here? It's a constant cycle of nepotism and barbarism. My knowledge of Islam is minor, but I'm well versed enough. I'm reading the Qu'ran and I understand the culture, after being immersed in it over the past 18 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of Muslims are unaware of these sort of things, and I say this from experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by Lady Comstock
I find it hard to believe that Britain's thousands of Muslim students who cannot afford uni unless they take out student loan are just avoiding going to uni altogether. More likely that there are thousands avoiding the rule.

Indeed, most Muslims in Britain just like most other religious groups pick and chose their religions to such a pathetic extent. There is nothing more foul on the planet than a religious hypocrite.
Reply 59

Posted from TSR Mobile

They might have sincerely repented.

It's not for us to say so and so is a bad Muslim.

Quick Reply

Latest