The Student Room Group

No social life, no friends

I'm 19, almost 20 and have no form of social life.
I didn't go to uni, left school after gcse's and went to college. I ended up being in the same group as people I already knew so didn't really make friends with any new people, got on with them but wouldn't see them out of college.
I finished college coming up for 2 years ago and went straight into working full time at M&S, hoping that I would meet some knew people. I did, but again, I wouldn't see them out of work. Then I went to work full time at my other job that I had been helping out at which I love and am really happy there, but there's only a few of us working there and I am friends with them. Me and 2 of the girls I work with try and go out for dinner or something every few weeks but because I work with them a lot it's not the same as seeing people I don't work with.
I had to dedicate a lot of time to my job this summer and therefore didn't contact any of my small group of friends out of work, I have since tried to re-build friendships but attempts have failed due to not being free on the same days/ some people just don't want to meet up. Now I think I have lost them all and have really messed everything up.

I don't have any friends than the 2 at work and don't go out anywhere. I don't enjoy clubbing/ getting really drunk and that is part of the reason I lost some friends as that is all they do.

Anyone else in the same situation?
Reply 1
I answered a similar question on here the other day where someone didn't enjoy drinking and going to clubs and therefore didn't feel connected to their friends because their friends did enjoy it. I'm in the exact same situation as you although it doesn't really bother me. I was one of the kids at school who would pretty much get on with every different group and had friends from all different kind of backgrounds. I had a few close friends and thought they would probably stick around but once I finished secondary school, never saw any of them again. Not one. Then I went on to college where I probably made about 10 new friends, 3 or 4 of which I would see on a regular basis outside of college. However, all of those went to Uni and I didn't, therefore I now no longer have contact with any of them. I've now just applied for the RAF, as it's something I always wanted to do and to be honest, in terms of 'friends', I think doing something like what I am is the best you can do as everyone I meet from now on will be pretty like-minded.

I don't like drinking and going clubbing either and for an 18 year old male, that is pretty strange. Don't feel like you're always gonna be alone though. I'd suggest finding a hobby or interest and maybe either try and get a job in something you really enjoy or join some clubs or something similar. The key to having good friends is to have similar interests and to have plenty in common. It won't be the same forever. Good luck :smile:
I had friends but
They ended up being fake so its like my 3rd summer friendless
Im not a drinker but I'm fun and enjoy having a laugh

Its so lonely and i get you
Reply 3
I'm in my late twenties and have not spoken to and of the school or uni friends since leaving. I only really socialize at work.
Reply 4
I am 20 years old and left school at 16 , I only kept in touch with two friends from school.
I still talk to them but I only see them once every couple of weeks and one is moving away in a couple of months.

I had a job for a while but didn't make any friends there and I have nearly finished an access course which I talk to people there and get on but don't see them outside of the college.
I just want a couple of close friends to hang out with but it's kinda hard to make friends unless you have a situation to meet new people as you can't really just go up to people and start talking when they are with their friends as you will look strange.

So I know where you're coming from , where you're in the situation where you haven't kept in touch or made friends and don't really have an opportunity to make some. It can get pretty lonely.
I'm going to Uni in Sept so i'm just hoping to meet some nice people and make friends there.
join clubs.
Go rock climbing or canoeing with people or whatever.
join a boxing class
Hey, I realise I am really late joining this thread but I just wanted to say I am exactly the same. I left school early dye to bullying, lost contact with all my friends and developed social anxiety which made meeting people really hard so I dont really know anyone.

If you want some one to chat to feel free to pm me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Late to this thread but Im 16 and Im simillar to the OP it'd be nice to have people reply to this thread w/advice.
I have a group of friends that I belong to but recently, I feel excluded from social events
I agree so much with you, I have social anxiety and I spend all my time at home or at a few clubs, but recently I'm just really bored with everyone and everything. I want to meet new people but I don't know how to, my social anxiety kicks in all the time. It's so frustrating
Reply 10
Wouldnt it be great if there was a club for all of us and we could make friends with each other :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending