The Student Room Group

King's College London or Lancaster for Biomedical Sciences?

I've got unconditional offers for KCL & Lancaster both to study Biomedical Sciences...

Kings is putting me off because of the living costs in London. Also, as it isn't campus based, I'm worried there won't be much of a community feel and it'll be harder to make friends.

Lancaster is putting me off because its reputation isn't as strong as Kings. Also because of the location as I'd rather live in a city.

To make it even harder to decide, I'm hoping to go into graduate entry Medicine afterwards...

Which Uni would be better to study Biomed? And which would give me a stronger chance when I apply to Medicine afterwards?

Sorry for the massive load of text!:redface:
Reply 1
Congrats on the offers!

I understand your concern with living costs in London. But I wouldn't worry too much about reputation.Both will obviously have their pros and cons but it is honestly about you choosing which uni offers you the best course, lifestyle and future.Look into the course specifics and surrounding areas and you may have a better idea.

The accelerated Medicine year won't be affected by which University too much either, just work hard and get a 2:1 or above and you should be okay!

I'm after Biomed myself at Lancaster, just got to decide which one to go for!

Good luck with your decision!
Reply 2
Original post by JoshayyH
Congrats on the offers!

I understand your concern with living costs in London. But I wouldn't worry too much about reputation.Both will obviously have their pros and cons but it is honestly about you choosing which uni offers you the best course, lifestyle and future.Look into the course specifics and surrounding areas and you may have a better idea.

The accelerated Medicine year won't be affected by which University too much either, just work hard and get a 2:1 or above and you should be okay!

I'm after Biomed myself at Lancaster, just got to decide which one to go for!

Good luck with your decision!

Thank you so much for your reply!:biggrin:

I'm visiting both of them on March so hopefully after then I'll have a better idea. I could see myself being happy at either place but I'm scared I'll go to one then wish I'd gone to the other D:

Getting the grade will defiantly be the most important thing. I feel like Lancaster would offer more support, where as Kings would have the better facilities.... So much to think about!

Oooo, I'm assuming you've got an offer already so congratulations!:biggrin: Where else did you apply to?
Reply 3
I'm visiting Lancaster this February 26th for an open day and 'informal chat' but I'm not sure if that's code for 'it's an interview but we're going to be really sneaky!'

From the friends I've had that have gone to uni they've said that wherever you go you'll love it either way, so don't be afraid of that side of it. Unless Bolton is one of your choices, then stray far away from that one!

Just go to the open day and make your decision then, and it'll all come to you naturally :biggrin:

Haha, ever so slightly awkward, I've not got a decision just yet :P they said they'll make one after the open day and 'informal chat' which makes me think they'll be sneaky with it ;o

My other choices are Keele, Surrey, Sheffield and Manchester. The first three I got offers for, Manchester I just had an interview a few days ago and they offered me a place there and then I just have to wait for UCAS to confirm it :P

Where are yours, if it's not too rude to ask? :smile:
Reply 4
I'm visiting Lancaster this February 26th for an open day and 'informal chat' but I'm not sure if that's code for 'it's an interview but we're going to be really sneaky!'

I'm visiting them in March for a post offer day and I'll get the informal chat too... It obviously won't be a sneaky interview because I'm already in so hopefully it'll be the same for you :smile: Either way, I vaguely remember reading something about them, it should be really relaxed and more like a chat than an interview. Plus if you've already had one at Manchester, you'll be pretty prepared already:tongue:

From the friends I've had that have gone to uni they've said that wherever you go you'll love it either way, so don't be afraid of that side of it. Unless Bolton is one of your choices, then stray far away from that one!

Just go to the open day and make your decision then, and it'll all come to you naturally :biggrin:

Luckily I didn't apply to Bolton so that's not an issue :wink: I hope so c:

Haha, ever so slightly awkward, I've not got a decision just yet :P they said they'll make one after the open day and 'informal chat' which makes me think they'll be sneaky with it ;o

ooooo, sneaky! Just make sure you're on your best behaviour :wink: Prepare for the worst and make sure to ask loads of questions about the Uni:tongue:

My other choices are Keele, Surrey, Sheffield and Manchester. The first three I got offers for, Manchester I just had an interview a few days ago and they offered me a place there and then I just have to wait for UCAS to confirm it :P
Where are yours, if it's not too rude to ask? :smile:

Woooooo, congratulations:biggrin: At least you know that if Lancaster doesn't work out (which I'm sure it will), you still have four other options :smile:
I've got unconditional offers from Kings, Lancaster, Brighton and QMUL. Still waiting to hear back from Cardiff who're taking forever now:tongue:
Hey I'm in the same situation I have to choose between kings and manchester...n I also want to do medicine afterwards...so which one did you choose??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending