The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE's from a bad school?

I was curious, because the school I attend is a pretty bad school in correlation to grammar schools etc.

Our 5 A*-C rate is at 55 %, where only 45 % of people get a C or higher in Maths. Would medicine schools consider me more lightly? I think I'm only gonna get 4 A*'s, and I want to attend a London medicine school. I'm not really fussy about getting to Oxbridge as they don't really suit the type of person I am.

Also, a friend of mine got a D in P.E. In our school NOBODY got a C in PE and he got a D in it. He wants to do medicine aswell? How bad is that? I also got a B in English Language, would that get looked down upon?

Thanks
Medical schools consider your academic qualifications in context - if you're from a deprived area or you go to a crap school, they'll take that into consideration. However, how exactly it'd affect your application depends on what medical school you apply to. It might be majorly deleterious (like if you were to apply to Oxford or Birmingham), or only partly. Related, though, you haven't even sat your GCSEs yet. Don't get into the mindset of "oh, I'm so disadvantaged because I go to a crap school". Just work as hard as you can and aim as high as you can. Plenty of students come from worse backgrounds and manage to do well. :smile:

You also don't need to get straight A*s at GCSE. Mix of A*s, As and Bs is pretty typical in successful applicants! A*s and As obviously preferred, though. :tongue:

It's the same for your friend - it depends where he applies and what the rest of his application's like. Some might not care; some might care a lot.
Reply 2
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Medical schools consider your academic qualifications in context - if you're from a deprived area or you go to a crap school, they'll take that into consideration. However, how exactly it'd affect your application depends on what medical school you apply to. It might be majorly deleterious (like if you were to apply to Oxford or Birmingham), or only partly. Related, though, you haven't even sat your GCSEs yet. Don't get into the mindset of "oh, I'm so disadvantaged because I go to a crap school". Just work as hard as you can and aim as high as you can. Plenty of students come from worse backgrounds and manage to do well. :smile:

You also don't need to get straight A*s at GCSE. Mix of A*s, As and Bs is pretty typical in successful applicants! A*s and As obviously preferred, though. :tongue:

It's the same for your friend - it depends where he applies and what the rest of his application's like. Some might not care; some might care a lot.

I'll prob apply to the lower schools, as it doesn't matter for medicine which school you go to. So how much would medical schools accept? I'm prob going to get 4-5 A*'s rest A's and maybe 1 B. Would that be fine?
Original post by sjaan
I'll prob apply to the lower schools, as it doesn't matter for medicine which school you go to. So how much would medical schools accept?

How do you mean lower schools?

I'm prob going to get 4-5 A*'s rest A's and maybe 1 B. Would that be fine?

That's completely fine. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
How do you mean lower schools?

That's completely fine. :smile:

Even though theoretically, in medicine, all schools are the same, I mean lower ranked schools.

Also, what would be the bare minimum before my GCSE's disadvantage me?
That percentage is actually above the national average right? I don't think they would to be completely honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by sjaan
I was curious, because the school I attend is a pretty bad school in correlation to grammar schools etc.

Our 5 A*-C rate is at 55 %, where only 45 % of people get a C or higher in Maths. Would medicine schools consider me more lightly? I think I'm only gonna get 4 A*'s, and I want to attend a London medicine school. I'm not really fussy about getting to Oxbridge as they don't really suit the type of person I am.

Also, a friend of mine got a D in P.E. In our school NOBODY got a C in PE and he got a D in it. He wants to do medicine aswell? How bad is that? I also got a B in English Language, would that get looked down upon?

Thanks

It depends how bad you call bad gcse's for a start? You should probably look at access type courses but I wouldn't count on that. At the end of the day no one cares about a D in pe because most unis only count the best 9/10 gcses usually including maths English science etc.
If as someone said above that your school % is above national average then there's probably not much hope unless you're from a very deprived area, that could help you potentially.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by DeemzBeamz
That percentage is actually above the national average right? I don't think they would to be completely honest

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would have been 10 years ago, but corrosive private exam boards mean now the average is above 80%.

Some authorities have started using 5A*-C including English and Maths, which is around the 55% mark.
Reply 8
Original post by nexttime
Would have been 10 years ago, but corrosive private exam boards mean now the average is above 80%.

Some authorities have started using 5A*-C including English and Maths, which is around the 55% mark.

So the fact that I am well below average means if I achieve 5-6 A*'s, I will get looked at positively instead of negatively?
Reply 9
Original post by sjaan
So the fact that I am well below average means if I achieve 5-6 A*'s, I will get looked at positively instead of negatively?

5/6 A*'s should cut it for.medicine
Reply 10
Original post by sjaan

It might be a slight advantage, but don't go thinking you can suddenly ignore GCSE requirements. Do your research, and apply where your GCSEs, and other parts of your application, will allow.
Lol, I got 2 A*s, 9As a B and an E.

Work hard at AS and the UKCAT and you'll be fine. You'll have to be a bit careful about your application choices, and London might not have you, but other places definitely will.

Optimism! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest