The Student Room Group

Students At Football Matches

Although students are on such a tight budget just for food and necessities, I was wondering if many still go to football matches or buy season tickets. Currently I'm torn between choosing Exeter or Glasgow (Loveboth Uni's) but Exeter seems the more practical as I live 2 hours away as opposed to 8 hours from Glasgow. But I keep swaying towards Glasgow in hope that I'll be able to see more of my team's matches. Yes I know it sounds a stupid factor to base my application on :laugh::laugh:.

I was just wondering if many students still manage to afford football matches and if quite a lot go so I won't be on my own :biggrin:
Some do - it depends on how you prioritise your spending, and how expensive your club's tickets are. However, I know one of the local football clubs (either Manc United or City - I barely know the difference) sells cut price tickets through my uni's SU, so something similar might happen at Glasgow.
Reply 2
if you go to Glasgow then the uni will probably offer discounted tickets to the less appealing games at celtic or rangers, take this up at least once to sample the experience I would.

in terms of seeing your own team, I still manage to get to quite a few away games (3 hours and £40 on the train to get to home games so out of the question really) but that's because football is my priority in many ways so ill always find a way to afford it, mainly by cutting back on how much I spend on nightouts, takeaways and suchlikes

in terms of will there be other students going it honestly depends on your team (who is your team if you don't mind me asking?). if theres a lot of you, and even better if someone has a car, it will make it a better experience
Reply 3
Original post by bluester
if you go to Glasgow then the uni will probably offer discounted tickets to the less appealing games at celtic or rangers, take this up at least once to sample the experience I would.

in terms of seeing your own team, I still manage to get to quite a few away games (3 hours and £40 on the train to get to home games so out of the question really) but that's because football is my priority in many ways so ill always find a way to afford it, mainly by cutting back on how much I spend on nightouts, takeaways and suchlikes

in terms of will there be other students going it honestly depends on your team (who is your team if you don't mind me asking?). if theres a lot of you, and even better if someone has a car, it will make it a better experience

Born and raised in South England but I'm a die hard Rangers fan, going to games albeit a few has been some of the best memories of my life no matter the opposition.
Reply 4
Cheers for the replies aswell guys
Reply 5
Original post by The Monk
Born and raised in South England but I'm a die hard Rangers fan, going to games albeit a few has been some of the best memories of my life no matter the opposition.

if your a diehard rangers fan then you'll certainly find other fans at Glasgow uni to go to matchs with! as regards to getting a season ticket, work out how often you'll be able to attend with holidays etc and work out if it will be worth it. your quite lucky with costs in that you don't have to travel too far. if you don't mind me asking, why support rangers from the south of England?
Reply 6
Original post by bluester
if your a diehard rangers fan then you'll certainly find other fans at Glasgow uni to go to matchs with! as regards to getting a season ticket, work out how often you'll be able to attend with holidays etc and work out if it will be worth it. your quite lucky with costs in that you don't have to travel too far. if you don't mind me asking, why support rangers from the south of England?

My family are scottish Rangers fans and I remember from my first match the atmosphere and energy at the ground had me hooked from an early age. Although times have been tough, I absolutely love being a Rangers supporter. Only get to make one or two games a year if I'm lucky so being able to go to Glasgow for uni and see more matches, is a big plus for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending