The Student Room Group

Some of the rules on this forum...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by de_monies
You're not "always wrong" I've personally reversed some cards, as have other moderators. Also, moderators aren't some untouchable holy grail. We can still get in trouble - in fact I think it'd be worse for us, because we're meant to uphold the rules :smile: (Though Im not sure on that one, because I've not been in trouble as a mod :biggrin: )

For the most part, we are unfortunately. At least that's the way I and many others see it. But I guess it's fine... I'm becoming more inactive on the forums anyway (not because of this incident), it's just unfortunate that some of the rules are becoming too controlling and restricting as to what you can post.
Original post by Ben_K
For the most part, we are unfortunately. At least that's the way I and many others see it. But I guess it's fine... I'm becoming more inactive on the forums anyway (not because of this incident), it's just unfortunate that some of the rules are becoming too controlling and restricting as to what you can post.

You can always request for another opinion and also the rules have always been the same :smile: I think that when neg rep was removed, we had more reports in, leading to the assumption that the rules are somehow "too controlling/restricting"
Reply 22
I received a card for apparently posting an off-topic point which I can assure you was definitely on topic. Simply put, I went to the ask a mod and said why it should be reversed and it was... not going to say any more detail but tbh I still wonder how on Earth it was considered a card??? I mean trolling yes ban them all. But I agree some of the rules are very very questionable :/
Reply 23
You can always request for another opinion and also the rules have always been the same :smile: I think that when neg rep was removed, we had more reports in, leading to the assumption that the rules are somehow "too controlling/restricting"

I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion... :adore:
Original post by Padwas
plus as i found out recently they are giving up their own spare time to help keep tsr clean . not even being paid for it .

Did people not know this? They're volunteers and are helping out, they give up their own time..
Reply 25
Original post by AMYC1999
Did people not know this? They're volunteers and are helping out, they give up their own time..

i did not know this until recently completely changed my view on mods
Original post by Ben_K
Are actually ridiculous... :angry:

Can you give examples please?
Original post by Padwas
i did not know this until recently completely changed my view on mods

Its says on the side of your screen. 'Moderators' ...

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 volunteers looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out

Yes, you can't make wild statements and then not give examples OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read this thread pages 2-7

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2566606
There is no common sense whatsoever in almost anything done by moderators (albeit enforced on them by admin). Does it make sense that members are being banned like it's the thing to do - yet there is absolute denial that anything has changed?
Does it make sense that you can be carded on subjective criteria, but a card can't be rescinded on the same criteria? Of course not.

As for controversial views - this is one of the biggest bugbears on TSR. You have professional troll members who do nothing except play the game and act in an objectively offensive manner - yet are never banned. On the other hand, members who do not understand how to avoid these warnings get banned.

You know exactly who these members are. They have extremist views and often support violence and hatred. They are allowed to continue here because they know exactly where to tread, and their entire raison d'etre on TSR is to antagonise people.

Also, if I author a post which one person finds offensive and reports it - what happens? A mod looks at it and decides for himself whether or not it is offensive. I then get carded.

I send it back in AAM. I say "I do not find this offensive". Does the moderator then go back and decide if the post is in fact offensive? No. Because he has already judged it as being offensive. I can ask for it to be sent to AASL, but the result will be the same - the SL will simply look at what has happened and ask if the post is subjectively offensive.

In essence, it does not matter how many people do not find a post offensive, as long as one person does, and a moderator initially agrees with that sentiment.

Otherwise, you would have the absurd situation of the mod going back to the person making the report and saying "really sorry, you weren't really offended."

I have tried raising these sentiments with the moderators and, hell, even CaptainJack himself, but they consistently ignore us. Even more disturbing is the threatening PMs and messages I have received from MODS (yes, mods!) trying to get me to voice my concerns in private.

Here is the one of the replies from a member of the team to someone who was criticizing the mods (not myself in this case)

(Original post by Captain Jack)
Please read my above posts - this on a public forum "They do a pathetic job." is in my eyes an offensive post in itself and worthy of receiving a card. I won't give you one now but please bear this in mind.
From this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2566606&page=7
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Maid Marian
:s-smilie: You don't know my situation so you can't really say any of that. :dontknow:

I have a feeling you've been carded a lot for going off-topic. Rather than blaming the mods, maybe you should look objectively at your own behaviour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really. I don't know why people think that threads like these would result in some sort of "insta ban"

TSR isn't a democracy, no, but it's also not an an autocracy

Feel free to criticise TSR - what we don't allow is people to insult other people, mods, CT members, SL's etc...

I was repeatedly banned from asking why I was not allowed to create a thread called 'TSR Strike'. I am not questioning the moderator's decision in this post, therefore you have no right to delete it (though some other mod will no doubt come along and do that) but I know for sure that there are plenty of things you do not allow other than insulting people.
Reply 33
Except you're not. You can honestly criticise mods actions/the rules/TSR as much as you want - we just draw a line at offensiveness :smile:

Oh, really? (I'm quite skeptical on what you've just said. I'm sure people do get some cards, let alone banned, for that.) So, why did I get a blue card for only saying ''I just got a blue card for x reason''? It wasn't directed at a special somebody. I was just stating a fact. :confused: Where's the freedom of speech gone? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jenn.
Oh, really? (I'm quite skeptic on what you've just said. I'm sure people do get some cards, let alone banned, for that.) So, why did I get a blue card for only saying ''I just got a blue card for x reason''? It wasn't directed at a special somebody. I was just stating a fact. :confused: Where's the freedom of speech gone? :smile:

Another irritatingly asinine rule.
Reply 35
Original post by Padwas
1- they are people to imagine being abused daily and most of the abuse unjustified . I'm sure you and i both would feel animosity towards those who do it ? mods are people to you know .

2- there is normally a reason they wouldn't just card you for no-reason now would they ,yes cards rarely get overturned but thats because rules were broken yes we may not like it especially when arguing with a troll but we made the choice to argue with them and rules are the same for all .

Not really. As I have been told on numerous occasions it is up to the interpretation of the mod. And I have made many a thread where I was warned for something but someone else whose post I reported the reply was "no action can be taken", when that post was what I was warned for.
Reply 36
Original post by Felix Felicis

Haha, if that's true, then I should really read those rules someday. :giggle:
Original post by Jenn.
Haha, if that's true, then I should really read those rules someday. :giggle:

Don't it will just make you angry...
Reply 38
Original post by qwertyking
I have a feeling you've been carded a lot for going off-topic. Rather than blaming the mods, maybe you should look objectively at your own behaviour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Off topic is the biggest piece of bull**** ever. A thread can evolve in so many different directions, most often this so-called off-topic is just one path the discussion took. If someone says something and it makes you think of something, how can that be "off-topic" anyway?
Reply 39
Original post by Felix Felicis

No it is not. It is exactly in the interest of moderators to not have members discuss warnings.

It severely limits coordination between members and shuts down grouping in response to ridiculous warnings. It prevents moderator decisions between openly discussed and criticized.

In fact, it is a technique Putin makes use of regularly and other wannabe dictators like Erdogan or Assad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending