The Student Room Group

Some of the rules on this forum...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by OU Student
It's something irrelevant / not constructive to the discussion. Yes, threads do evolve; but that doesn't mean for example, you can bring an issue about something which has nothing to do with the original topic.

True. But in forums like H&R, this isn't appropriate. In Chat, the rules are relaxed a lot more and you're not going to get warned if you posted something considered spam. IE, a reply which consisted of a smiley or a meme.

I am sure the vast majority of members on here has been alerted or warned for so-called off-topic when posting something they thought was very much on topic.

Not to mention that a lot of stuff goes unnoticed simply because no one reports it, while when some whiner feels annoyed he will report a post (happens more now I would assume because he cannot neg the post anymore). That skews what is and is not acceptable because in many cases you see things pass (because no one reported it and mods weren't there or paying close attention) and then once in a while you come across a tool who reports and you feel like "wtf why was this warned and all these other things were fine".

With regards to spam, then you should make the rules much clearer and distribute them more. The way mods argue it almost sounds as if a thread is 100% there for the OP, which is silly because every poster is part of the thread. For example someone says something and then you take that up and discuss something similar to it but it is again further from OP. That is a completely natural progression but in H&R you might be warned for it. And that is silly, you want to enjoy yourself on this forum, not think all the time "better not write this so I don't get warned". I sometimes post on the wall of a member if at that time I for some reason think about it because I do not want to get warned. That annoys me hugely. You want people to contribute to a thread, but if people do and get into it, they get punished for getting into it too much and not helping the OP anymore. That is a bit contradictory and either you should change it or make it very clear how you want things to work. Which would be a shame tbh and I think a lot less people would post in threads were the OP is asking for help.

Also it does not help that in chat rules are different. I got a few warnings for things I thought were OK because I saw them in chat.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jenn.
I am crucial to the site because I am a member of the site. 'How long I've been on here' has nothing to do with it! I'd be surprised if you become a mod... you don't seem quite sympathetic. You obviously don't know how business work. What do you think big firms like Facebook do with its new members? Do you think it privileges only its old member? Pfff...

That's not what I was saying. As a member of only 2 months, you can hardly be experienced in the rules of the site, and how things have changed from how they were.

'Tis all. :h:
Original post by danny111

Not to mention that a lot of stuff goes unnoticed simply because no one reports it, while when some whiner feels annoyed he will report a post (happens more now I would assume because he cannot neg the post anymore). That skews what is and is not acceptable because in many cases you see things pass (because no one reported it and mods weren't there or paying close attention) and then once in a while you come across a tool who reports and you feel like "wtf why was this warned and all these other things were fine".

Mods are volunteers. We too have a life out of TSR. We can't read every single post on this forum. If you feel something is breaking the rules, report it. Also, you have no way of knowing whether someone has been warned or not. Only mods, section leaders and community team can. We can't discuss other peoples warnings with you.
Reply 103
Mods are volunteers. We too have a life out of TSR. We can't read every single post on this forum. If you feel something is breaking the rules, report it. Also, you have no way of knowing whether someone has been warned or not. Only mods, section leaders and community team can. We can't discuss other peoples warnings with you.

And that's the main issue people have raised. And at any rate you used to be able to, because it would tell you how many warning points a person has.

Also I wasn't really criticizing you for it, just saying why it is a problem...
Original post by danny111
And that's the main issue people have raised. And at any rate you used to be able to, because it would tell you how many warning points a person has.

Also I wasn't really criticizing you for it, just saying why it is a problem...

But the problem with that was, one person does something and was given 2 points and another was given 5. The person with 5 points would then moan about how unfair it was that the other person only got 2.

I can't think of a single forum (I post on quite a few) where other members can see other users warnings.
Reply 105
But the problem with that was, one person does something and was given 2 points and another was given 5. The person with 5 points would then moan about how unfair it was that the other person only got 2.

I can't think of a single forum (I post on quite a few) where other members can see other users warnings.

Why do you care what other forums do? We want to improve TSR not other forums.

And why is it not unfair? So you are just saying you want to hide the inherent unfairness in moderation?
Reply 106
Original post by CJG21
That's not what I was saying. As a member of only 2 months, you can hardly be experienced in the rules of the site, and how things have changed from how they were.

'Tis all. :h:

It's not what you were saying one hour ago.

I quote:

''Yes, you, the people who have been members for 2 months, who are crucial to the site.''

End of quotation.
Original post by Jenn.
It's not what you were saying one hour ago.

I quote:

''Yes, you, the people who have been members for 2 months, who are crucial to the site.''

End of quotation.

I know what I said.
Reply 108
Original post by CJG21
I know what I said.

Good for you, then. So, why are you talking to me? I'm of no importance to the site and what I say isn't important...
Original post by Jenn.
Good for you, then. So, why are you talking to me? I'm of no importance to the site and what I say isn't important...

Again, that's not what I meant. I've already explained what I meant.

Goodbye.
Reply 110
Original post by CJG21
Again, that's not what I meant. I've already explained what I meant.

Goodbye.

Yes, goodbye. :colonhash:
Original post by Jenn.
Yes, goodbye. :colonhash:

Trying to draw an argument.
Reply 112
Original post by Silver Arrows
Trying to draw an argument.

Not at all. :smile: I just hate it when people think they are more worthy because they've been here for X years. Although I admit I haven't got much experience with TSR (apart from some blue cards) since I'm still a 'newbie''. But I just didn't like the way he said it.). :smile: You obviously don't need to be a TSR legend to know that some of the rules on here are ridiculous. That's all.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest