The Student Room Group

Parks and Recreation is brilliant

Anybody watch it?

I have tonsillitis at the moment so I'm sort of doing nothing but binge watching tv and finally decided to start watching what I assumed would be another office rip off

Then I find that the characters have probably more dimensions, angles and interest than most US comedy. Just started the second series and I still can't put my finger on some of these characters and how they're going to turn out.

Great show. Yes it follows The Office format but is pretty decent in doing so
Reply 1
It definitely gets better. Series 1 is generally derided, and for good reason - it's just not that funny, and Leslie seems to act like an incompetent fool. I started watching with Series 2, because those were the episodes available on iPlayer when BBC Four bought Series One and Two early last year. I've now watched all of them to date, and I'd probably say that Series 3 is my favourite series; but that most certainly does not mean that they go downhill from there on! It's just that Series 3 happens to have some of my favourite episodes, including The Fight, which is absolutely superb.
Reply 2
Original post by Handles
It definitely gets better. Series 1 is generally derided, and for good reason - it's just not that funny, and Leslie seems to act like an incompetent fool. I started watching with Series 2, because those were the episodes available on iPlayer when BBC Four bought Series One and Two early last year. I've now watched all of them to date, and I'd probably say that Series 3 is my favourite series; but that most certainly does not mean that they go downhill from there on! It's just that Series 3 happens to have some of my favourite episodes, including The Fight, which is absolutely superb.

Ah that's cool. Yeah I wasn't laughing aloud throughout series 1.. But I'm pleased to hear Leslie's character develops. She reminds me of the girl that is sort of ditsy and she gets always with it because she means well and is a nice person haha and I'm not sure how long I can like that. But that's interesting how series 1 isn't that well taken considering that's usually what keeps a show on air but fair enough look forward to season 2
Reply 3
Original post by mgarta11
Ah that's cool. Yeah I wasn't laughing aloud throughout series 1.. But I'm pleased to hear Leslie's character develops. She reminds me of the girl that is sort of ditsy and she gets always with it because she means well and is a nice person haha and I'm not sure how long I can like that. But that's interesting how series 1 isn't that well taken considering that's usually what keeps a show on air but fair enough look forward to season 2

Leslie's character develops greatly. She's probably my third favourite character, after Ben (you won't have met him yet) and Ron. But most of the characters are really good, so it's hard to knock any of them.

I can only assume that the writers of Parks and Rec. guaranteed NBC that the programme would change its tone and style, in order to be commissioned for a second series.
How did you watch this it's not available on netflix is it?
Reply 5
Series 2 and 3 were pretty good, but in 4 i just got bored of it to the point i'm not sure if it was as good as i think it was. Might rewatch it sometime to see if it was, but shows like Arrested Development are vastly better than it. In fact Arrested Development is unrivalled, and it's a shame, you'd think 10 years on there would be some rival sitcoms but there really aren't as it was that good.
Reply 6
I think series one was actually the best,I loved the pit storyline, when Andy was living in the pit. Thought that was hilarious and best storyline in all the seasons. My fav character is Ron Swanson though
I didn't think Series One was too terrible but it certainly gets better... also hate to be pedantic but Andy living in the pit was S2.
Original post by Guy Secretan
How did you watch this it's not available on netflix is it?

If you have Google Chrome, you can download an extension from the Chrome Web Store called Hola Unblocker and disguise your browser as being from the US. Just log in with your UK Netflix account and you get all the US Netflix stuff. You can easily change back if need be.

It also airs on BBC THREE and is great :biggrin:
Reply 9
PARKS AND REC IS MY FAV SHOW EVER!!! OH MY DAYS THE EPISODE WHEN RON HAS A HERNIA IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
It is, LITERALLY, my favourite US comedy
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm a huge fan too.

Original post by h3isenberg
If you have Google Chrome, you can download an extension from the Chrome Web Store called Hola Unblocker and disguise your browser as being from the US. Just log in with your UK Netflix account and you get all the US Netflix stuff. You can easily change back if need be.

It also airs on BBC THREE and is great :biggrin:

I just did this and it still didn't work.
Reply 13
parks and rec is the best
april ludgate is my life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending