The Student Room Group

***when are you starting revision for your a-levels***

Is 6 weeks too late?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Or should I start now?
I started mine properly the weekend before last, using a revision diary.

By 6 weeks, do you mean 6 weeks, or 6 academic (i.e. in term time) weeks? I'd personally start as early as possible so you can do it in chunks over a longer stretch of time.
I started in December - had January mocks and I'm trying to keep it up. My plan since September was to finish the maths course by December [done - C3/4 and S2] and focus more on bioloy and chemistry.
Reply 4
Original post by sarcastic-sal
I started mine properly the weekend before last, using a revision diary.

By 6 weeks, do you mean 6 weeks, or 6 academic (i.e. in term time) weeks? I'd personally start as early as possible so you can do it in chunks over a longer stretch of time.

Wow ..I can't stay motivated!! for the last 3 weeks I have done no revision, not even homework, I havent even touched a book :frown:
What is your revision dairy like.. could you PM me?
Reply 5
I'VE ALREADY STARTED. :smile: I have my real Spanish/ English oral exams in 2 weeks. :woo:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Jatz07
yes, may I ask what A-Levels you're doing? The revision varies depending on the subjects chosen...

English Lit, Maths. Bio and Chem...
;o(
Reply 7
Original post by Jenn.
I'VE ALREADY STARTED. :smile: I have my real Spanish/ English oral exam in 2 weeks. :woo:

I have lost all my school notes..filed loads of unnecessary work ;9
When you guys say you have started, what do you mean? What are you doing?
I'll probably start around April. I have coursework, epq, work experience and an interview to worry about.
Reply 9
Original post by tengentoppa
I'll probably start around April. I have coursework, epq, work experience and an interview to worry about.

congrats on the interview!
Reply 10
Started light revision already, got 11 exams and loads of coursework to keep on top of
Reply 11
Original post by Jatz07
yep, start tomorrow ... I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths and the EPQ ...

What grades are you aiming for?

hahaah lol AAA and dont really care about english..What board you doing?
Reply 12
Original post by Flauta
Started light revision already, got 11 exams and loads of coursework to keep on top of

What do you mean by light revision?
Original post by games211
congrats on the interview!

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 14
What do you mean by light revision?

Couple hours a day most days. Will go up quite a bit when I get to easter :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
I started in September making notes of all my courses. I am hoping to be finished by the end of February and then it will just be re-reading and answering questions :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Flauta
Couple hours a day most days. Will go up quite a bit when I get to easter :tongue:

hours????????????????:eek::colondollar::frown::redface:
hours????????????????:eek::colondollar::frown::redface:

it's not time, it's quality, do practice essays regularly.
Reply 18
Original post by Are you Shaw?
it's not time, it's quality, do practice essays regularly.

I think it is the other way around with Revision....IS IT NOT? :confused:
games211, I've just PM'd you this but I'm posing it here in case anyone else wants to see it :tongue:

My revision diary is split into two sections per day: 'to revise' and 'to recap.'
Basically, I'm using the idea (proven by Sheffield Uni to supposedly work) that you learn better if you revise something, go over it 24 hours later, then go over it a week later, then a month later.
Today, for example I am:
revising
polymers
work and power
recapping
naming and properties of alkanes (revised initially 1 week ago)
forces & equilibrium (revised initially 1 week ago)
car safety (revised initially yesterday)
quadratic functions and graphs (revised initially 1 week ago)
alkenes (revised yesterday)

I tend to spend anywhere from 20mins to an hour and a half on a 'revising' topic, depending on what it is and what i'm doing to revise it. Car safety, for example, is a hefty topic and I spent a while going through past papers to find out how the questions are worded, as they tend to be 'explain' questions (unlike most Physics questions). Quadratic functions and graphs only required 25 minutes on the other hand as they're relativity simple and all I did was write notes in my maths revision notebook and do some questions from the textbook.
I learn best when I listen, so I also record myself reading out the textbook to use in recap sessions/while waiting for the bus etc.
Recap sessions on the other hand usually consist of answering textbook questions, trying to re-write out my notes on a whiteboard from memory and making flashcards for bits I still can't remember.

I found after 3 weeks of struggling with one that a revision timetable isn't for me, and I prefer a diary as it is flexible. It also allows for me to not feel guilty if I go and meet my friends for coffee on a Saturday afternoon as I haven't got any time commitments in terms of revision, I just know I have a specific volume of stuff to do.

Hope this is of help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending