The Student Room Group

Help me determine which molecule is more lipophillic?

Hello! Can anyone explain how to arrange the following molecules in order of lipophillicity?

Codeine
Morphine
Benzylmorphine

Thank you for any help:smile:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by Bonjour
Hello! Can anyone explain how to arrange the following molecules in order of lipophillicity?

Codeine
Morphine
Benzylmorphine

Thank you for any help:smile:

Well start out by looking up their structures...... I just think that should have been obvious.
Then look at what the actual difference is between them all (a clue it's just different groups at one position)
Reply 3
Very interesting and useful tips I think.I read step by step this informations and help me so much.Thank you for this great informations
Original post by moldoveanun
Very interesting and useful tips I think.I read step by step this informations and help me so much.Thank you for this great informations

Yes, codeine is also known as methylmorphine - the only difference between codeine and morphine is that codeine has a methoxy group on the benzene group instead of a hydroxyl group. Benzylmorphine (as you can probably tell from the name) has a benzyloxy group instead of the hydroxyl group on the benzene ring in morphine.

So, you look at the different R groups: OH in morphine, OCH3 in codeine, and OCH2C6H5, and you should be able to work out the order of lipophilicity of the drugs.
Reply 5
Original post by thegodofgod
Yes, codeine is also known as methylmorphine - the only difference between codeine and morphine is that codeine has a methoxy group on the benzene group instead of a hydroxyl group. Benzylmorphine (as you can probably tell from the name) has a benzyloxy group instead of the hydroxyl group on the benzene ring in morphine.

So, you look at the different R groups: OH in morphine, OCH3 in codeine, and OCH2C6H5, and you should be able to work out the order of lipophilicity of the drugs.

Thank you! So can I just check I am right - the order of lipophilicity (starting with most lipophillic) would be benzylmorphine, codeine, then morphine? As more hydrocarbon chains on a molecule will make it more lipophillic?
Original post by Bonjour
Thank you! So can I just check I am right - the order of lipophilicity (starting with most lipophillic) would be benzylmorphine, codeine, then morphine? As more hydrocarbon chains on a molecule will make it more lipophillic?

Exactly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest