The Student Room Group

What motivates girls to 'cockblock'?

Basically, I went out with a big group on Thursday, who all knew each other. Unsurprisingly, some of us were quite drunk. Getting to the point, one of the girl was getting dancing with me, and we were getting pretty close, until her friend then went and cock-blocked the **** out of me in someway and sent the girl home pretty much

To make matters worse, when the girl who stepped in got back to campus, she told all the other girls, and probably made me seem like I was being a creep of some kind.

So what's usually the motive behind cockblocking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Being fat/unattractive is the biggest one.
The more complex answer would be that the more sex people have, the less power women have over men. So it's in their best interests as a group to throttle the amount of sex to keep the demand high.
Original post by Jebedee
Being fat/unattractive is the biggest one.
The more complex answer would be that the more sex people have, the less power women have over men. So it's in their best interests as a group to throttle the amount of sex to keep the demand high.

It's all a big conspiracy!!!!!1111!11 Once men stop getting all the sex they so deserve, the women will swoop and take over the world!!1!
Doesn't sound entirely accurate to be honest. Normally when a girl attempts to 'cockblock' it works wonders; you just can't fake that kind of social validation.

I'm sorry but maybe you were being a bit creepy and she helped you save face? :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Doesn't sound entirely accurate to be honest. Normally when a girl attempts to 'cockblock' it works wonders; you just can't fake that kind of social validation.

I'm sorry but maybe you were being a bit creepy and she helped you save face? :redface:

Hmm maybe. I did ask the guys though and I don't think I was.. I think she may just not like me as a person/not like her friends getting with people she knows because of awkwardness etc.

The girl was just grinding on me..quite hard to be creepy for me in those circumstances.
Original post by Anonymous
Hmm maybe. I did ask the guys though and I don't think I was.. I think she may just not like me as a person/not like her friends getting with people she knows because of awkwardness etc.

The girl was just grinding on me..quite hard to be creepy for me in those circumstances.

Then I have no idea tbh :dontknow:

Honestly though, in those kind of situations ride the wave. If a girl tries to prevent you just ignore it and pay attention to the other girl, it's possibly the best thing that could seal a deal :lol:
Reply 6
Maybe to protect their foolish and/or drunken mate from your lecherous intentions. Realistically too she could have told them to leave off if she was truly up for it.
They want to protect their friends, especially if they are drunk and likely to "do things they may regret"
Reply 8
Original post by bubble999
They want to protect their friends, especially if they are drunk and likely to "do things they may regret"

Original post by Zarek
Maybe to protect their foolish and/or drunken mate from your lecherous intentions. Realistically too she could have told them to leave off if she was truly up for it.

This seems like the most likely thing really. Just as a disclaimer, I was not a stranger..

Seems a bit sexist, though, my intentions were not 'lecherous' I was pretty hammered, so was quite pissed off with her making me seem like some kind of creep when I didn't pursue her friend.
I have a really nervous friend who is too much of a pussy to turn down guys herself. So if she signals me she doesn't like their attention, I come and "rescue" her. But - she wouldn't exactly grind up on a guy she didn't like! So that probably doesn't apply in your case.

Maybe her friend cock-blocked you because the girl isn't single? Or the girl has previously told her she doesn't want to get with anyone that night.. but then she gets drunk and turns into a ho' :p: I have a friend like this, she tried to get with my boyfriend in front of me one time! Bless, she is senseless when drunk and basically needs close protection. Fortunately she is single!

Maybe the other girl in question is just a douche - jealous, or enjoys the power, or disapproves of her friend etc. Or maybe she totally misinterpreted the situation and her friends' willingness. Maybe she really doesn't like you (either she knows something about you, or just made a spot judgement) and thinks her friend can do better?

That's about all I can think of.
Personally I think 'cockblocking' is a myth. My female friends will only try and drag me away from talking to a guy if he's unattractive and/or they can tell I'm feeling uncomfortable.

If I really want to talk to a guy and I'm enjoying the conversation and I want to give him my number there's nothing my friends can do to 'cockblock'.
Clock blocking is just an excuse for guys with no game in my opinion. :tongue:
Jealousy mostly.
Reply 12
Original post by phunky_fresh
Jealousy mostly.

YES, I'M GLAD SOMEONE FINALLY SAID IT!!
Literally the first thought that came to mind was jealousy, none of this sister solidarity/looking out for your mates stuff lol :tongue:
If she was JUST dancing with him, I seriously see no need to cockblock :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by SkAlley
YES, I'M GLAD SOMEONE FINALLY SAID IT!!
Literally the first thought that came to mind was jealousy, none of this sister solidarity/looking out for your mates stuff lol :tongue:
If she was JUST dancing with him, I seriously see no need to cockblock :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it wasn't even the cock-blocking so much which bothered me.

More her actions afterwards. I.e it takes two to tango, but she clearly made it seem like I was attempting to 'get on the girl'
Reply 14
Original post by JaiiStarh
Personally I think 'cockblocking' is a myth. My female friends will only try and drag me away from talking to a guy if he's unattractive and/or they can tell I'm feeling uncomfortable.

If I really want to talk to a guy and I'm enjoying the conversation and I want to give him my number there's nothing my friends can do to 'cockblock'.

No, girls will literally drag their friend away from a guy even if she's really into him. Now not only do I have to look for a hot girl but now I have to judge if her friends are going to ruin it out of spite.

It should be a punishable offence :-P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JaiiStarh

That's pretty bitchy. Maybe you have a different view of attractive than them? Or you're just enjoying his company?

Some girls feel it's their duty to stop their friends being "sluts"- sadly, slut shaming does regularly occur within female groups. My girlfriend had a friend like this, she lectured her the first time we got together, and the next time literally tried to pull her away, she had to really tell her to go away. That was really nice though, because girls normally just go with their friends, even if they clearly don't want to.
Girls generally have a way of signalling to other women when they feel uncomfortable with a guy who is chatting them up. The other woman then steps in and helps her get away from the situation without having to be rude to the guy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say it's more that they want to protect their drunk mates and not let them do something which they'll regret in the morning.
Original post by bubble999

The contrast to guys is spectacular. If one of my mates gets with a less than attractive girl we're more likely to film it and chip in for a cab than stop him.

Original post by Odd socks
Girls generally have a way of signalling to other women when they feel uncomfortable with a guy who is chatting them up. The other woman then steps in and helps her get away from the situation without having to be rude to the guy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Grinding on him would be a pretty odd way of signalling that. Be like me going 'lads, if I start getting with a girl just step in and get me out of there, I'm def not interested'.
Definitely jealously. A girl even come up to me one time and said 'I stopped you from talking to her so I could take you home instead'. I declined. I preferred her friend and ended up going home with her. What a horrible selfish person she is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending