The Student Room Group

Multilingual and Polyglot Wannabe Thread MK II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xleoanimusx
I assume your parents speak Bengali then? Swedish is great. It's like a song

Dad does, mum speaks a bit too.

In what way? :tongue:
Original post by scott18044
Hey, I'm fine thanks! Home for a few days over Easter weekend before I go back down to Bristol, so I really haven't been up to much recently :smile: What about you - how are you doing?

Hervorragend! I'm fine also :smile: I actually attempted to learn the very basics of British Sign Language recently, and I can now use it to spell my name...and that's pretty much it...:tongue:
And I need to explain the Jan Smit reference😛 I think that -if my recollection of your old profile picture is even mildly accurate-, you resemble the Dutch singer in some way, kinda! :laugh:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLE3C0101D6CA0FDA0&v=YKVRxfNsP9k

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLE3C0101D6CA0FDA0&v=BfEZEfvTM0s

His stuff is often very lovey dovey but the Dutch is clear and simple, so I'm a fan :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish

I think he means it's very sing-songy and rythmic (is that the word?) kind of like how those people up north speak :wink: I remember how amazed I was when I heard the Scouse accent for the first time! lool
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Just the flow of the intonation. I love it
Original post by xleoanimusx
I assume your parents speak Bengali then? Swedish is great. It's like a song

I remember you posted on a thread of mine...well done on beating many of those straight out of school kids and getting yourself that UCL offer! :wink: #YoungMatureStudents! #WeRock :rofl2:
Original post by thatitootoo
I remember you posted on a thread of mine...well done on beating many of those straight out of school kids and getting yourself that UCL offer! :wink: #YoungMatureStudents! #WeRock :rofl2:

Thanks, still can't believe it :biggrin:
Hervorragend! I'm fine also :smile: I actually attempted to learn the very basics of British Sign Language recently, and I can now use it to spell my name...and that's pretty much it...:tongue:
And I need to explain the Jan Smit reference I think that -if my recollection of your old profile picture is even mildly accurate-, you resemble the Dutch singer in some way, kinda! :laugh:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLE3C0101D6CA0FDA0&v=YKVRxfNsP9k

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLE3C0101D6CA0FDA0&v=BfEZEfvTM0s

His stuff is often very lovey dovey but the Dutch is clear and simple, so I'm a fan :lol:

Ahh that's fun! My mum knows some BSL, but I don't know any of it at all. I've just chosen my units for second year though, and I'm hopefully starting Czech in September, which I'm sure will be awesome :biggrin:

And I really didn't understand what you meant by Jan Smit, although I've had a look at those youtube clips and actually, I can kind of see what you mean. Very surprised that you remembered though, aha.
And in terms of music, it's good that you can listen to it and understand it. I think my favourite deutscher singer is Cro, and although it's a bit more pop/rap, there are a few songs of his songs that are fairly straightforward. Plus his new songs always seem to be on the radio station I listen to. :P
Ahh that's fun! My mum knows some BSL, but I don't know any of it at all. I've just chosen my units for second year though, and I'm hopefully starting Czech in September, which I'm sure will be awesome :biggrin:

And I really didn't understand what you meant by Jan Smit, although I've had a look at those youtube clips and actually, I can kind of see what you mean. Very surprised that you remembered though, aha.
And in terms of music, it's good that you can listen to it and understand it. I think my favourite deutscher singer is Cro, and although it's a bit more pop/rap, there are a few songs of his songs that are fairly straightforward. Plus his new songs always seem to be on the radio station I listen to. :P

That's so cool! I can definitely see the appeal in learning Czech :yep: the country is really beautiful, especially Prague seems to have this mysterious and almost mythical feel to it - and I've just gathered that from pictures of the place! lmao I've heard that Czech spelling can be a real nightmare though! I once heard about a grammatically correct sentence in Czech which consists entirely of consonants! :redface: :redface: But yeah you're not a newby to languages that are notorious for being "difficult" (or at least have such a reputation :tongue:) with German, Russian, Czech...lol Seems like you'd be fine in most of Europe hahah

Ooh that sounds really good, I must look his music up sometime! I've been meaning to start listening to German stuff, but I swear I have like a phobia of not understanding anything 😝
That's so cool! I can definitely see the appeal in learning Czech :yep: the country is really beautiful, especially Prague seems to have this mysterious and almost mythical feel to it - and I've just gathered that from pictures of the place! lmao I've heard that Czech spelling can be a real nightmare though! I once heard about a grammatically correct sentence in Czech which consists entirely of consonants! :redface: :redface: But yeah you're not a newby to languages that are notorious for being "difficult" (or at least have such a reputation :tongue:) with German, Russian, Czech...lol Seems like you'd be fine in most of Europe hahah

Ooh that sounds really good, I must look his music up sometime! I've been meaning to start listening to German stuff, but I swear I have like a phobia of not understanding anything

Yeah, I think that it seems like a really interesting language to learn, and likewise an interesting country to learn more about and hopefully visit, so with luck I'll get into that class in September. I know it is supposed to be quite tricky, but it does share things with Russian and I can't think that there'll be a better time to learn it so...
You've just reminded me that I have some reviewing to do on memrise for German, so I should probably do that before bed as well aha. But yeah, I guess I do enjoy new challenges aha. My challenge for the summer is to work on my French more and eventually try to get it up to the level of my Spanish. But that's also been on the back-burner a bit this semester, so we'll see :P

And I shouldn't worry too much about not being able to understand it. Sometimes you get more out of it when you don't, and you work more to figure out the lyrics. If you enjoy listening to the music, then you can work at the rest.
Yeah, I think that it seems like a really interesting language to learn, and likewise an interesting country to learn more about and hopefully visit, so with luck I'll get into that class in September. I know it is supposed to be quite tricky, but it does share things with Russian and I can't think that there'll be a better time to learn it so...
You've just reminded me that I have some reviewing to do on memrise for German, so I should probably do that before bed as well aha. But yeah, I guess I do enjoy new challenges aha. My challenge for the summer is to work on my French more and eventually try to get it up to the level of my Spanish. But that's also been on the back-burner a bit this semester, so we'll see :P

And I shouldn't worry too much about not being able to understand it. Sometimes you get more out of it when you don't, and you work more to figure out the lyrics. If you enjoy listening to the music, then you can work at the rest.

PRSOM :angry:

Interesting indeed!
Your language goals are always ambitious, you're like Fish ^^ :lol:
Ph uck staying up any longer :hand: I would just go to bed...(I already am)
Perhaps thou could utilise thine mobile device or personal tablet gadget to access the Memrise from the comfort of thine beds? 😜
PRSOM :angry:

Interesting indeed!
Your language goals are always ambitious, you're like Fish ^^ :lol:
Ph uck staying up any longer :hand: I would just go to bed...(I already am)
Perhaps thou could utilise thine mobile device or personal tablet gadget to access the Memrise from the comfort of thine beds?

I know... Ambitious is definitely one word. I'm sure unattainable would be another :P

Meh, once it gets past 10 I pretty much just sit on my bed and work, so I'm good for a while. My night owl tendencies have kicked in already :P

Goodnight though :smile:
I know... Ambitious is definitely one word. I'm sure unattainable would be another :P

Meh, once it gets past 10 I pretty much just sit on my bed and work, so I'm good for a while. My night owl tendencies have kicked in already :P

Goodnight though :smile:

Neinnnn :tongue: Ehrgeizig & angemessen lol So your mind is basically on 'student mode' - That's a very useful setting😛
Reply 6272
An English native with passable French and decent German. I'm thinking that Swedish is next due to the similarities with German and the big aspiration is Russian.

I'm definitely an Eastern Europe person rather than Spanish etc although I'm sure I'll get round to it later.

Any suggestions of what else I might like?
Reply 6273

Like Scott said Cro is the best place to start. Listen to Traum, it's probably one of his easiest to understand. The lyrics are helpfully commented below the video if you get stuck.
Original post by Kell_
An English native with passable French and decent German. I'm thinking that Swedish is next due to the similarities with German and the big aspiration is Russian.

I'm definitely an Eastern Europe person rather than Spanish etc although I'm sure I'll get round to it later.

Dutch! :biggrin:

Original post by Kell_
Like Scott said Cro is the best place to start. Listen to Traum, it's probably one of his easiest to understand. The lyrics are helpfully commented below the video if you get stuck.

Thanks for the suggestions :smile: I think I could get over my phobia now :lol:
Reply 6275
Dutch! :biggrin:

Thanks for the suggestions :smile: I think I could get over my phobia now :lol:

You're welcome. I'm going to Amsterdam later this year so I'll definitely be learning a bit. Do you think I can get by with my German? I can read Dutch and Afrikaans fairly well because it looks like German with a few more As and Os added to words. I don't know whether they'd understand my spoken German though?
Original post by Kell_
You're welcome. I'm going to Amsterdam later this year so I'll definitely be learning a bit. Do you think I can get by with my German? I can read Dutch and Afrikaans fairly well because it looks like German with a few more As and Os added to words. I don't know whether they'd understand my spoken German though?

Hahah the languages aren't that close you know :tongue: hmmm the only time it would make sense to speak German is when you happen to bump into someone who introduces themselves as a German speaker? (but why would someone randomly do that? :lol:)
I think many Dutch speakers would just laugh at someone trying to speak German to them xD Moreover, English is unofficially the second language in Amsterdam and everybody and their dog can speak it :wink: (with varying degrees of fluency)
Neinnnn :tongue: Ehrgeizig & angemessen lol So your mind is basically on 'student mode' - That's a very useful setting

Generally it is at the moment :P Have had a couple of days break whilst I'm at home, but I am going to be focussed again for the last two weeks of spring break. I'm working all afternoon/ evening during the week though so I've had to adapt my schedule a bit, lol.

Original post by Kell_

Привет! What's stopping you learning Russian?
Been having a massive Memrise binge today. Feeling quite good about it even though I still have this essay to be getting on with
Original post by super_kawaii
Been having a massive Memrise binge today. Feeling quite good about it even though I still have this essay to be getting on with

All of the things I need to review have slowly stacked up this week so I think I'm going to do the same this afternoon. It can actually be pretty fun :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending