The Student Room Group

Doing nothing on my gap year

Hey guys,
I'm not really sure what i want to get out of this post - maybe some reassurance.. but i took a gap year, and i'm literally doing nothing everyday.
You see i had my whole gap year meticulously planned out - i would get a job for 6 months to raise money and then go travelling and volunteer abroad until i started uni in september 2014... but then i got hit by a car - broke my leg, an arm, and some ribs and have been bedridden for the most of my gap year so far. Im better now and have lost all my motivation to do anything - my friends are all away having an amazing time, or on their own gap years abroad and i have done nothing and have no money to travel. I just keep telling myself i'ts just one year out of my life.. right?? Does anyone have any advice for me on how to move forward from this?
Sorry for this vent - it's been a really **** couple of months

Thanks for reading guys!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry to hear about your accident, nothing you can do about.

You can still have a great time, and you really should be looking to do something now:

1. Learn a new language - there's a few online things you can do here or check your local college/university or a centre for lifelong learning for adult evening classes
2. Speaking of local college etc. there may be a few other things you can pick up that might be of your interest there (poetry, art, ...), also a good way to meet new people.
3. Go volunteering, check your local volunteering centre for opportunities
4. pick up a sport or go exercising in a gym or outdoors
5. go find that job, you can always travel between year 1 and 2 of university, and you'd be glad for every penny you saved

Basically, do something where you develop a set routine, there's nothing worse than having no daily routing. This will also help you get into the flow at university.
education education education education

relax you're still young :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Forgot2ChangeIP
'Every day issues'
'Gap yah'

Privileged ****.

Having a gap year doesn't mean you are privileged.
Reply 4
You are bound to be a bit down after a trauma like that. The mental damage after serious injury takes a long time to heal. Be nice to yourself. You will be fine. Good luck.
Reply 5
start preparing for uni!
Eh, you should have planned it out more practically IMO. Sounds like a waste of a gap year.
Reply 7
Original post by c2uk
Sorry to hear about your accident, nothing you can do about.

You can still have a great time, and you really should be looking to do something now:

1. Learn a new language - there's a few online things you can do here or check your local college/university or a centre for lifelong learning for adult evening classes
2. Speaking of local college etc. there may be a few other things you can pick up that might be of your interest there (poetry, art, ...), also a good way to meet new people.
3. Go volunteering, check your local volunteering centre for opportunities
4. pick up a sport or go exercising in a gym or outdoors
5. go find that job, you can always travel between year 1 and 2 of university, and you'd be glad for every penny you saved

Basically, do something where you develop a set routine, there's nothing worse than having no daily routing. This will also help you get into the flow at university.

Thank you for this - really good suggestions x
Original post by oliviax0x0
Hey guys,
I'm not really sure what i want to get out of this post - maybe some reassurance.. but i took a gap year, and i'm literally doing nothing everyday.
You see i had my whole gap year meticulously planned out - i would get a job for 6 months to raise money and then go travelling and volunteer abroad until i started uni in september 2014... but then i got hit by a car - broke my leg, an arm, and some ribs and have been bedridden for the most of my gap year so far. Im better now and have lost all my motivation to do anything - my friends are all away having an amazing time, or on their own gap years abroad and i have done nothing and have no money to travel. I just keep telling myself i'ts just one year out of my life.. right?? Does anyone have any advice for me on how to move forward from this?

Thanks for reading guys!

Hey, I know how you feel. I'm on a gap year too and although I work and do a few other things in spare time, I feel like I'm not doing anything that impressive. I hear about other people on their gap years and they sound really interesting, like travelling and I just think 'mine sounds so boring.' I definitely recommend getting a job though, not only do you earn money but I've found it to be really sociable and has allowed me to go out and meet new people :smile:
Original post by oliviax0x0
Hey guys,

Thanks for reading guys!

Hey i don't know if thisll make you feel better but ive taken a gap year as well and i know sort of how youre feeling - it doesn't feel like ive fulfilled all i wanted my gap year to be. And i am doing nothing now until September. But it is just a year and sometimes you actually need this break even if you don't do anything with it.

also try not to compare your year with other peoples, you don't know what's going on behind closed doors. Your friends might be having a **** time abroad no better then you are at home. Maybe try and find a job for now until uni that's what im trying to do :smile: its only 6 months till uni and soon you'll be wishing you had that free time again. Just try not to wish it away. Though in a hypocrite as i cant wait till September.
I'm sorry about your accident but maybe try not to let it overshadow some of your plans. You can still do things even if its 6 months late. X
'Every day issues'
'Gap yah'

Privileged ****.

Douchebag answer
You need to focus this time on getting better, then you'll be stronger when you go back into education. Don't beat yourself up about it, make the most of the time to relax before things get busy (I assume you'll be going to uni in September)
High-horse retort.

What a comeback. Queue the applause.
'Every day issues'
'Gap yah'

Privileged ****.

I am on a gap year, personally, as I am reapplying as I got better A2 grades than my performance at AS might have indicated.

Privileged? No.

Sensible, and getting into the best university I can? Yes.
Original post by Seathestars
Eh, you should have planned it out more practically IMO. Sounds like a waste of a gap year.

Have you read the OP? How could she plan to be in an accident and break multiple bones? :lolwut:
Original post by alow
So do you think I'm privileged even though I'm working throughout my gap year?

What sort of job do you have and what other things have you done on your gap year? Also, if you don't mind me asking, why did you take a gap hear and what college do you have an offer for at Cambridge?
Also, I'd definitely say you were privileged if you estimate that your parents/guardians have spent £400k on you, which I read on another thread. But I'm not saying that as an insult. :smile:
Blimey, there is so much negativity on this thread. Everyone calm down...
Hope for the best; plan for the worst.

brb, just gonna plan for my death
I save the witty comments for those who do more than state the obvious and use sarcasm easily applied by the average pre-pubescent. Get over yourself lol.

i wouldn't have deemed this worthy of a reply but thought i should point out that all your comments on this so far have been far more pre-pubescent than mine... Unfortunately mean comments and homophobic insults have never been cool. Get over yourself lol :
Good. Now you'll live life to the full and without regrets. Why did you not have this mindset to begin with?

I have no idea, I have seen the truth now!

:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending