The Student Room Group

Should I do medicine?

It seems like a good idea, though I'm not particularly enthusiastic about it. It's not that I really don't want to do medicine, because sometimes I really do, it's just that I'm not sure. My mum says it's a great idea and is the driving force behind all this, but I don't know whether I'll actually enjoy it. And whether I'm clever enough for it.
Any opinions on this?
Reply 1
Well what are your other options, with the best will in the world if there isn't anything you fancy more then why not?

You don't need to be particularly clever to get through if you can be hard working.
Reply 2
Original post by suzylemonade
It seems like a good idea, though I'm not particularly enthusiastic about it. It's not that I really don't want to do medicine, because sometimes I really do, it's just that I'm not sure. My mum says it's a great idea and is the driving force behind all this, but I don't know whether I'll actually enjoy it. And whether I'm clever enough for it.
Any opinions on this?

Dont worry about whether you are clever enough, if you are considering med, then your grades in school must be reasonably high.

I think the bigger issue is 'im not particularly enthusiastic enough', There is a lot of prep just to get into med school -ukcat (likely), good AS results,Good personal statement, much earlier deadline for ucas,possible BMAT, interview prep, achieving 3As at alevel.---Thats just before you get to uni

Competition is very high, if you dont have the motivation, you may not be successful
I'm in exactly the same situation as you - I've never been really, really enthusiastic but it's always been at the back of my mind (using science daily, working with people, challenge etc.) except my parents aren't particularly pushy either way. I'm going to do some work experience - hopefully - over the summer to see if medicine is something I want to do or not, maybe that would help you make a decision?
Reply 4
Original post by ChocolateMelody
I'm in exactly the same situation as you - I've never been really, really enthusiastic but it's always been at the back of my mind (using science daily, working with people, challenge etc.) except my parents aren't particularly pushy either way. I'm going to do some work experience - hopefully - over the summer to see if medicine is something I want to do or not, maybe that would help you make a decision?

Yeah, same here (with the work experience, I mean). Have you found anywhere yet? :smile:
Any opinions on this?

I'm in exactly the same situation, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to medicine, but my parents insist that I do Biology for my A Levels, when I've already told them how much I hate it :angry:

I'm sure you're clever enough, and even if you're not you can work hard, the question is whether or not being a doctor is for you? Why not try helping out in a hospital/clinic at some time and seeing how you like it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was in the same position a few years ago. Medicine seemed like a good option for me as it ticked lots of boxes in terms of what I wanted to do with my life. (Ie working in a medical environment, being in a caring role, and lots of Science), but like you I wasn't sure at all so I was switching between lots of different careers, e.g. Nurse, Doctor, Archaeologist, Doctor, Teacher, Doctor, Music Therapist, Doctor, Optician, Doctor lol.

The most important thing is that you organise some work experience. Without this you can never truly know whether it's what you want to do. Watching Junior Doctors/reading about being a doctor can never reflect the profession as well as seeing it for your self, and trust me once you do you'll know whether or not it's for you :smile:

Good luck! x
Reply 7
Original post by majmuh24
I'm in exactly the same situation, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to medicine, but my parents insist that I do Biology for my A Levels, when I've already told them how much I hate it :angry:

I'm sure you're clever enough, and even if you're not you can work hard, the question is whether or not being a doctor is for you? Why not try helping out in a hospital/clinic at some time and seeing how you like it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would they want you to do Biology if you hate it? D: Pretty pointless imo. Luckily, they can't make your decisions for you, which is good xD

Yeah, I'm currently looking for a placement somewhere xD

Original post by lovelycup7
I was in the same position a few years ago. Medicine seemed like a good option for me as it ticked lots of boxes in terms of what I wanted to do with my life. (Ie working in a medical environment, being in a caring role, and lots of Science), but like you I wasn't sure at all so I was switching between lots of different careers, e.g. Nurse, Doctor, Archaeologist, Doctor, Teacher, Doctor, Music Therapist, Doctor, Optician, Doctor lol.

The most important thing is that you organise some work experience. Without this you can never truly know whether it's what you want to do. Watching Junior Doctors/reading about being a doctor can never reflect the profession as well as seeing it for your self, and trust me once you do you'll know whether or not it's for you :smile:

Good luck! x

Lol, you switched back to doctor a lot :P
And yeah, I'm trying to find work experience, but it's really quite hard D:
Ooh yeah, I love junior doctors xD I was watching episode 1 yestersay xD
Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah, same here (with the work experience, I mean). Have you found anywhere yet? :smile:
I'm hoping to get a place at my local GP's - my friend did that last summer (she's year 11 as well, bit keen...) and really enjoyed it, it was mostly filing and sorting prescriptions, she did a bit of work on reception as well. I don't think she was allowed to watch any consultations because of privacy issues/age/not being a medical student etc. You?
Reply 9
Original post by ChocolateMelody
I'm hoping to get a place at my local GP's - my friend did that last summer (she's year 11 as well, bit keen...) and really enjoyed it, it was mostly filing and sorting prescriptions, she did a bit of work on reception as well. I don't think she was allowed to watch any consultations because of privacy issues/age/not being a medical student etc. You?

Wow, last summer? That's really keen! xD
But yeah, I'm hoping for a hospital placement. John Radcliffe hospital offer people living in Oxford work experience, so hopfully I'll get one xD
Reply 10
Wow, last summer? That's really keen! xD
But yeah, I'm hoping for a hospital placement. John Radcliffe hospital offer people living in Oxford work experience, so hopfully I'll get one xD

There were loads of work experience students around last year. Loads seemed to have got their experience through their (generally posh) schools, but plenty of independents too.
Original post by nexttime
There were loads of work experience students around last year. Loads seemed to have got their experience through their (generally posh) schools, but plenty of independents too.

Wait, do you mean loads of work experience students in Oxford last year? Or just in general applications to uni?
Reply 12
Wait, do you mean loads of work experience students in Oxford last year? Or just in general applications to uni?

In the JR.
In the JR.

Right okay. So you live around Oxford too? :biggrin:
And at least they take quite a few people, gives me more of a chance of actually getting a placement
Reply 14
Right okay. So you live around Oxford too? :biggrin:
And at least they take quite a few people, gives me more of a chance of actually getting a placement

Yeah its good. Many places are 'family contacts only' :rolleyes:
Yeah its good. Many places are 'family contacts only' :rolleyes:

Seriously? I don't have family contacts D:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending