The Student Room Group

Further Maths A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sid11
Yeah I thought you were in sixth form haha, never mind and yeah I'm predicted a high A* but as you said it is risky and may not even be worth it. For me I'd probably be bored out of my mind as well, hate graphs and calculus

The calculus and graphs in FM (especially FP2-3) will be nothing like you have done before. It's much, much more interesting.
Reply 21
Original post by PhysicsKid
1 or 3 definitely. FM is great for Economics applications though and is really enjoyable looking at it- Y11 finishing off A2 Maths :smile:

Yeah It probably will be one of the two, not sure if I really want the workload of further maths though, won't even need it if I choose to do medicine.
Reply 22
Original post by alow
The calculus and graphs in FM (especially FP2-3) will be nothing like you have done before. It's much, much more interesting.

I guess I should probably do some papers then , thanks!
Reply 23
Original post by jake4198
I chose Maths, FM, Bio, Chem and Philosophy and Ethics; though FM is definitely a push, if you can think logically you'll really come to enjoy it. I want to apply for dentistry (FM not needed) but I do FM because it's really quite enjoyable, albeit hard. I'd say, if you're a logical thinker, enjoy maths and want, and will work hard, go for it!

Those seem like really good choices and yeah I enjoy doing the maths challenge and problems like that so maybe I'll like FM. Good luck with dentistry!
Reply 24
Original post by sid11
Was it very time consuming though? Did you take 5? Thanks :smile:

I didn't take 5 A levels but one person in my further maths class did, and he got all A's at AS, so it's possible to balance the workload!
The way they taught it at my school meant we went through it quickly, leaving lots of time for revision, which was when it took up the most time, doing past papers etc.
Reply 25
AS further maths is pretty easy, but it's a lot harder at A2.
Reply 26
Original post by ninuzu
AS further maths is pretty easy, but it's a lot harder at A2.

At our school what we do is we do all of A2 Maths in year 12 and then all the further maths topics in year 13 so we have a lot to cover
Reply 27
Original post by sid11
At our school what we do is we do all of A2 Maths in year 12 and then all the further maths topics in year 13 so we have a lot to cover

Most schools do that - and that's probably the easier way.
Unfortunately, my school made us do AS maths and AS further maths in year 12 and then the A2's all in year 13.
Reply 28
Original post by ninuzu
Most schools do that - and that's probably the easier way.
Unfortunately, my school made us do AS maths and AS further maths in year 12 and then the A2's all in year 13.

Yeah I'm doing it the same way as you and that C3 exam, I wish I did that one XD.
Reply 29
Original post by Dilzo999
Yeah I'm doing it the same way as you and that C3 exam, I wish I did that one XD.

Haha, well there is the advantage that when you do differential equations in FP3, it makes the core maths differential equations seem easy as **** :wink:
Reply 30
Original post by ninuzu
Haha, well there is the advantage that when you do differential equations in FP3, it makes the core maths differential equations seem easy as **** :wink:

Everything in further maths makes core easy as **** :biggrin:.
Reply 31
Original post by Dilzo999
Everything in further maths makes core easy as **** :biggrin:.

Hahaha a very good point :tongue:
Original post by alow

:rofl: If you say so.

Further Maths A2 should only be done if you are very good at maths. Further Maths AS is very doable.
Reply 33
Original post by CJG21
:rofl: If you say so.

Further Maths A2 should only be done if you are very good at maths. Further Maths AS is very doable.

But you can't say that that stuff like polar coordinates and de Moivre's theorem aren't more interesting than boring GCSE Maths/Add maths/FSMQ/whatever! :tongue:

And you don't need to be that good at maths to do FM, you can get by with hard work...
Reply 34
Original post by addylad
Can I ask what the difference is wrt integration? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

well fp3 is a lot of hyperbolic functions and integrating those (which isnt as bad as it sounds).
fp2, uh we've done areas under polar graphs.
but you use so much of your c4 it becomes second nature.
Original post by sid11

I have done further maths this way.
Personally, I like it, it's a challenge but if you actually like maths it's really not that bad.
I wouldn't suggest doing 5, maybe 4 if you want to show you are an accomplished student but with the demand further maths puts on year 13, I think it would affect your other grades.
Also, I don't recommend critical thinking past AS. Most uni's won't consider it at all (although at AS it is helpful if you have to sit entrance exams for uni)
Reply 36
Original post by sophiekutie
I have done further maths this way.
Personally, I like it, it's a challenge but if you actually like maths it's really not that bad.
I wouldn't suggest doing 5, maybe 4 if you want to show you are an accomplished student but with the demand further maths puts on year 13, I think it would affect your other grades.
Also, I don't recommend critical thinking past AS. Most uni's won't consider it at all (although at AS it is helpful if you have to sit entrance exams for uni)

Yeah critical thinking is very unlikely for me and realistically I'd only take further maths as a 5th subject as I want to do either medicine or finance and to keep options option should ideally do maths, chem, bio, economics and maybe FM
Original post by sid11
Yeah critical thinking is very unlikely for me and realistically I'd only take further maths as a 5th subject as I want to do either medicine or finance and to keep options option should ideally do maths, chem, bio, economics and maybe FM

Well then I would say don't do further maths.
Doing 4 will be impressive enough, especially with those subjects, and it's better to not do it, than to do it and get a 'bad' grade
You can always stick with 4, and then change your mind after a few weeks and start, or take it, and then drop it after a while if it's too much?
I originally did geography, but after 5 weeks swapped to fm, and it really wasn't that bad to catch up
You'd be surprised how flexible it can be
Reply 38
Original post by sophiekutie
Well then I would say don't do further maths.
Doing 4 will be impressive enough, especially with those subjects, and it's better to not do it, than to do it and get a 'bad' grade
You can always stick with 4, and then change your mind after a few weeks and start, or take it, and then drop it after a while if it's too much?
I originally did geography, but after 5 weeks swapped to fm, and it really wasn't that bad to catch up
You'd be surprised how flexible it can be

Yeah that's basically what I'm thinking, our school seems pretty flexible regarding change so should be alright. Could I ask what you got in your AS if you've done them?
Original post by sid11
Yeah that's basically what I'm thinking, our school seems pretty flexible regarding change so should be alright. Could I ask what you got in your AS if you've done them?

Yeah sure,
Maths (full A level) A, 3 marks from A* so I'm resitting C3
Physics AS - A
Chemistry AS - B
Critical thinking AS - C (with only 1 hr lesson a week)

Quick Reply

Latest