The Student Room Group

What do you think got you a place/offer for Medicine or GEM?

Hi everyone,

I thought it would be useful for all us medical applicants (and hopefuls :wink:) to know from those who hold offers for Medicine/GEM (I'm particularly interested in GEM) as to what you think (or what you've been told) secured your offer or place.

For instance, was your academic profile flawless? (as I'm sure it is for most straight medicine students) Did you have particularly interesting/unique work experience? Did you have a lot of experience?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Applying strategically i.e. playing to the strengths of your application. As much as you might like to go to GKT, if you have a UKCAT score of 700 it's just not going to happen.

So yeah...I figured out that I should apply to GEPs which have high UKCAT cut offs (but not too high e.g. like GKT or Newcastle)...after that, it was a case of preparing well for the interview and actually being fortunate enough to be given a place :smile:
Reply 2
yea, apply strategically, getting the interview is the hardest part. Once you get the interview, normally 1/2 -1/4 people will get an offer.
Once in the interview, you just need to demonstrate that you're a real person, with hobbies and show your commitment to medicine so that you're in that top portion and get an offer!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
How interesting! I didn't realise strategic application would play such a role. It'll be interesting to see what others think too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Strategy is definitely crucial-I had a poor UKCAT by this years standards but strong academics so I applied to Bham GEM which don't consider test scores and focus on candidates with a 1st class degree and strong A level results. Happy to say it paid off-got one interview and one offer:-)

Original post by FloRo
How interesting! I didn't realise strategic application would play such a role. It'll be interesting to see what others think too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by lxm177
Strategy is definitely crucial-I had a poor UKCAT by this years standards but strong academics so I applied to Bham GEM which don't consider test scores and focus on candidates with a 1st class degree and strong A level results. Happy to say it paid off-got one interview and one offer:-)

That's great, congratulations on the offer. That's really contextualised the importance of strategic applications, I never thought that'd be the answer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
This is a really interesting thread idea IMO!!

In reference to the chat re strategic applications I think that does play a role but may not necessarily be the most important factor.

You can apply strategically in terms of things other than academics (such as applying for experience heavy courses etc.)

Using me as an example - I'm going to graduate with a 2i and got a mixture of As and A*s throughout school (with one B at A level) so I guess I'm just normal for gem - by no means academically fantastic but I fulfill all the academic criteria for everywhere except Birmingham. My UKCAT was 780 average with band 1 which seems to be average for all those getting offers also.

I do think the fact that my current uni is in the top 5 of the UK might have made a difference but I wouldn't really know

I would say the major thing that sets me apart would be my experience and by extension my personal statement. I have been doing volunteer work and/or medical/care work experience since I was about 16/17 and I genuinely loved almost all of it which I believe came across in my personal statement and more importantly, interview. I think people underestimate the value of a good personal statement and either rush them or don't take the time to get relevant experience / extra-curricular activities to end up with a good one.

I'm currently sitting on 4 interviews and 2 offers (not heard back from the other two yet / yet to interview) - each experience had been very different; for example, at imperial and Southampton, I am pretty sure it was my personal statement that got me the interview because that was the focus of my questioning (offer at imperial, yet to hear from SOTON). At KCL, the interviewers haven't read your PS but the majority of the questions were extensions on it (I got an offer there also).

Anyway, this is just me and I have no idea really what makes a university chose one person over the other!

Good luck to those still waiting to hear / planning on applying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by jam-jam
This is a really interesting thread idea IMO!!

In reference to the chat re strategic applications I think that does play a role but may not necessarily be the most important factor.

You can apply strategically in terms of things other than academics (such as applying for experience heavy courses etc.)

Using me as an example - I'm going to graduate with a 2i and got a mixture of As and A*s throughout school (with one B at A level) so I guess I'm just normal for gem - by no means academically fantastic but I fulfill all the academic criteria for everywhere except Birmingham. My UKCAT was 780 average with band 1 which seems to be average for all those getting offers also.

I do think the fact that my current uni is in the top 5 of the UK might have made a difference but I wouldn't really know

I would say the major thing that sets me apart would be my experience and by extension my personal statement. I have been doing volunteer work and/or medical/care work experience since I was about 16/17 and I genuinely loved almost all of it which I believe came across in my personal statement and more importantly, interview. I think people underestimate the value of a good personal statement and either rush them or don't take the time to get relevant experience / extra-curricular activities to end up with a good one.

I'm currently sitting on 4 interviews and 2 offers (not heard back from the other two yet / yet to interview) - each experience had been very different; for example, at imperial and Southampton, I am pretty sure it was my personal statement that got me the interview because that was the focus of my questioning (offer at imperial, yet to hear from SOTON). At KCL, the interviewers haven't read your PS but the majority of the questions were extensions on it (I got an offer there also).

Anyway, this is just me and I have no idea really what makes a university chose one person over the other!

Good luck to those still waiting to hear / planning on applying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you find it interesting, I began to worry when nobody replied!

My first thought was that experience would be most important, however, now I'm starting to see that whole application needs to be extremely well thought out. I'll certainly be giving a lot more thought to where I'll be applying.

Congratulations on your amazing amount of interviews and offers by the way.

May I ask what experience you undertook, what stood out the most for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If there were uniform selection criteria these posts would make sense - but there aren't.

Medical schools look for a range of types :

I can only say this to you because I am now at Oxford studying medicine.

I did one voluntary internship in Psychiatry.
No sports, no charities and I was banned from school debate soc and I am **** at music

So when they called me to interview, we discussed Psychiatry in some depth they asked me what it was like on the ward .. I showed them a quite detailed diary I had kept.

They then asked me what books I had read and I named 3 books and one International Journal Article
and on that ( it was on Melanie Klein's idea of the paranoid-schizoid position in infancy )
they seemed pretty impressed that I knew of it and I think pretty impressed that I understood it.

We didn't really discuss anything else, I said I liked to listen to Chopin when I revised
and Heavy Metal when I'm riding on my bike. I got my offer.

So, maybe they choose some people because they are not just smart, but very interested in an area of medicine ( & can seriously demonstrate it )

it's great here/hard work - but then I'm a believer in ' work is more fun than fun '
Reply 9
I think the point people have been trying to make is just that medical schools do place different weight/emphasis on different aspects of the application (details can be found on their websites) Its just important to be aware of this when you apply so that you can play to your strengths and maximise your chances of getting an interview...which is hopefully when you can let your personality and passion for a medical career shine through.
Reply 10
Original post by FloRo
Glad you find it interesting, I began to worry when nobody replied!

My first thought was that experience would be most important, however, now I'm starting to see that whole application needs to be extremely well thought out. I'll certainly be giving a lot more thought to where I'll be applying.

Congratulations on your amazing amount of interviews and offers by the way.

May I ask what experience you undertook, what stood out the most for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, as I'm sure you can imagine, I am very happy with it all!

Well I've been very lucky to have medical and volunteer experience both at home and abroad.

In terms of volunteering, my two favourites were working in a school for kids with autism under 7 years old near where I went to school and running a summer camp for children in an orphanage abroad. I also volunteered at a care home for the elderly with dementia and ran a charity-run breakfast club with a charity in my uni town.

In terms of work experience, all of it was great but I got the most from a two week placement in a hospital in Essex. The reason for this was not necessarily because of what I did but more because, since I was older, I was more actively involved and was able to take part in it more.... I think that's the most important thing of it all really, making the most of your situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Applying strategically, although to 3 very competitive med schools (Edinburgh, Bristol and Leeds. Plus Birmingham as a safety.) Only applying to places were I got maximum academic marks, and then worked really hard on a strong PS. Can't over emphasis how useful the TSR PS helpers are - use them and start early. And then confident performances at interview. Result : 3 offers, and a waiting list place if required.

Edited to add - sorry just realisd OP particularly wanted info on GEM experience - mine is standard school leaver.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by FloRo

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't just play a role - it's crucial. Unless your application is so strong that it would get maximum marks from every med schools' selection criteria ( and that happens extremely rarely- in fact I am yet to come across anyone with more than 3 offers) if you fail to apply strategically your chances are massively reduced. For example, a single B at GCSE will likely result in automatic rejection from Edinburgh. So if you apply just because you love Edinburgh, that's one shot out of 4 gone. If you apply to Leeds not realising that you have to follow their format for a PS, you will likely be rejected before interview. Same with high UKCAT unis. Strategy is essential - fairly mediocre candidates get places every year because they apply smarter than some of their more academic competitors.
Reply 13
Original post by jam-jam
Thanks, as I'm sure you can imagine, I am very happy with it all!

Well I've been very lucky to have medical and volunteer experience both at home and abroad.

In terms of volunteering, my two favourites were working in a school for kids with autism under 7 years old near where I went to school and running a summer camp for children in an orphanage abroad. I also volunteered at a care home for the elderly with dementia and ran a charity-run breakfast club with a charity in my uni town.

In terms of work experience, all of it was great but I got the most from a two week placement in a hospital in Essex. The reason for this was not necessarily because of what I did but more because, since I was older, I was more actively involved and was able to take part in it more.... I think that's the most important thing of it all really, making the most of your situation

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a really impressive portfolio of work. Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm so glad I started this thread, I'm getting some really interesting insights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by HCubed
It doesn't just play a role - it's crucial. Unless your application is so strong that it would get maximum marks from every med schools' selection criteria ( and that happens extremely rarely- in fact I am yet to come across anyone with more than 3 offers) if you fail to apply strategically your chances are massively reduced. For example, a single B at GCSE will likely result in automatic rejection from Edinburgh. So if you apply just because you love Edinburgh, that's one shot out of 4 gone. If you apply to Leeds not realising that you have to follow their format for a PS, you will likely be rejected before interview. Same with high UKCAT unis. Strategy is essential - fairly mediocre candidates get places every year because they apply smarter than some of their more academic competitors.

Thanks for the warning, I'll be certain to strategically apply. Where would I be able to find out all this information?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by HCubed
Applying strategically, although to 3 very competitive med schools (Edinburgh, Bristol and Leeds. Plus Birmingham as a safety.) Only applying to places were I got maximum academic marks, and then worked really hard on a strong PS. Can't over emphasis how useful the TSR PS helpers are - use them and start early. And then confident performances at interview. Result : 3 offers, and a waiting list place if required.

Edited to add - sorry just realisd OP particularly wanted info on GEM experience - mine is standard school leaver.

That's excellent, congratulations! I didn't know I could get help with my PS, I'll certainly use that.

I'm also interested in the standard entry, so thanks for getting back to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Funnily enough I didn't apply strategically at all. In fact, I made very stupid choices and almost received 4 rejections as a result. However, by some stroke of luck I managed to get an interview for my first choice, and I think that was what clinched it for me. They seemed to really like how I came across.
I got a killer BMAT score, I think that's the main reason I got an offer from Cambridge. I also think I interview quite well - I've never missed an opportunity I had an interview for - but I don't really know how to give tips for that. I guess just be confident and relaxed. Getting worked up may be a reasonable reaction but it won't help.
Reply 18
Well as everyone said, work experience and hobbies etc (and therefore personal statement) is important, but these are all things that are expected anyway.
So seriously, apply to your strength, if you have a crazy high ukcat, then ukcat heavy school it is.
You have high academics? Apply to uni's like Edinburgh or Liverpool etc.
You can find this information all over but the schools website should say, it may be annoying to look through but definitely do so!
And use tsr personal statement helpers!!
I started my personal statement late, but messaged one and he was kind enough to help me even though it was late in the season and he was very busy! And I definite think my personal statement helped greatly!!
Reply 19
Original post by FloRo
Thanks for the warning, I'll be certain to strategically apply. Where would I be able to find out all this information?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's all here on TSR. Start with the Medicine Wiki - study things like interview to offer ratios, what type of course attracts you, and most importantly read the stalking pages to see who got in last year and why. Everywhere you apply, you need to know exactly how they assess applicants, and make sure you are a good fit, almost guaranteed an interview. Don't make too many gambles - maybe one really competitive choice, two if you are very confident - but always have a safety back-up unless you fancy a GAP year! You need to understand that selection precedures are very formalised, and don't really allow for places to take you just because they like you - if your UKCAT is one point too low for somewhere that bases selection on UKCAT, it won't matter if you have 6 A*s at A level, the guy with average A levels and a great UKCAT will get the interview - there's is no choice but for them to reject you. Every year thousands of candidates fail to understand this and get 4 rejections.

Edited to add: And be wary of moving goalposts. If a uni says their UKCAT cut-off last year was say 720, then next year it will almost certainly be higher as everyone with a UKCAT of 720 floods to apply to that course. Sometimes the effect is so extreme that they have to alter their selection procedures - as Sheffield did last year when the UKCAT cut-off exceeded 800!! Same with Birmingham, who walked back their GCSE A* requirements from 8/9 to 5/6 when they stated getting appicants with 16 or more A*s!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending