The Student Room Group

Exeter or Cardiff? - Diagnostic Radiography 2014 Entry

Hi all, I have recently received offers from both Exeter and Cardiff to study radiography. I'm really torn on where to confirm. Exeter appears to be higher ranking than Cardiff in the subject area. However at Cardiff when I was interviewed seemed to be a lot more down to earth and friendly. This may and part have been due to Exeter having more people to interview that day, so there was less time to talk. I have heard great things about the student experience Cardiff can offer.

I got the feeling that Exeter might be a little intimidating for me. At the presentation they were very keen to point out their rankings and prowess. I'm not especially academically gifted so felt I might feel a bit overwhelmed by it all there. However, Exeter have offered lower conditions than Cardiff.and the city had a nice feel about it. Then again it is more expensive there than Cardiff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Hey man

I got offers from Cardiff and Exeter too, I completely agree with the fact that Cardiff seemed more down to earth and home like.

I chose Exeter due to the fact that:they are number 1 in Radiography, as well as having a 98% employment rate which is amazing.
-The campus is literally bliss and everything feels modern which I prefer over Cardiff
-Lecturers are really experienced
-Placements are really spread out for variety
-For the first year we're going to be at Streatham and in the summer of the 2nd year they're going to refurbish St.Luke and move the medical imaging department there, it's going to look and be top notch

Cardiff's night life is obviously going to top Exeter though, no doubt about that - but I've heard Exeter does have it's amazing facilities to make up for it.
(Exeter has a campus cinema - what more could a student want :biggrin: and it's not like Exeter has no clubs/pubs at all)

I remember being really intimidated by the interviewers on my day, but I know for fact that Radiography at any university is going to rely on practice and clinical training rather than being heavily theory based as other courses are, such as biology/physics/ etc... So it really doesn't matter which university you go to, they both will be doing roughly the same modules, no need to be afraid of being overwhelmed :smile:

At the end of the day though, my opinion shouldn't mean anything to you, you may as well pick a university you can see yourself being comfortable and having fun in, and being able to graduate with a satisfying degree.
I agree with what Lawrence said and would just add that although I agree Cardiff has an amazing nightlife, the location for Radiography i found was pretty underwhelming with regards to that of the main campus and felt a bit secluded for the city center, while with Exeter you are located in the heart of the campus for the 1st year, which personally is a lot more appealing to me :smile:

Best of luck with whatever your choice may be :smile:
Reply 3
Hi everyone,
I have applied for the same course in Exeter but haven't got any response yet. Could you guys give me some tips for the interview, please and some for information about your visit to the university? And of course did they take any witten exams?

Any information given will be helpful and appriciated,thanks.
Original post by Nomis
Hi everyone,
I have applied for the same course in Exeter but haven't got any response yet. Could you guys give me some tips for the interview, please and some for information about your visit to the university? And of course did they take any witten exams?

Any information given will be helpful and appriciated,thanks.

I should be able to help :smile: Exeter was definitely my favourite interview and was by far the most relaxed, you should of recieved a form which you need to take with you and hand in, then you go sign in and sit down in a room where youll recieve half an hours talk and then watch a video of a scenario, the video will be brought up in the interview and you will be questioned on it, what a lot of people do is bring a notepad and write down notes of the scenario, then what happens is half do their interview and half recieve the tour and then vice versa, the interview itsself for me anyway was really relaxed and the interviewers were really friendly, although are looking for you to be enthusiastic about the subject, one thing I would note is there is less focus on questions such as why Exeter and more focus on questions to do with the actual topic and why diagnostic radiography is for you :smile: finally you get to mingle with other students and the undergrads who show you round in the tour which is great to ask questions and meet other people :smile:

As for numbers the figure they said I do believe was 1 in 4-6 of those who get to interview tho student numbers may vary depending on how much funding the nhs gives out :

Hope it helps and good luck :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest