The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

End of term?

Hey everyone,

Basically I will [hopefully] be coming to Sussex this year, but I have just been offered a fantastic oppurtunity for next summer, and I'm just wondering whether I will have finished uni in time in order to take it up.

So am asking the students (particularly 1st years) at what point will I have finished uni for the year with lectures/exams and stuff. (Will it differ between different courses?) I would need to be available from around the beginning of June, probs the sort of 5th/6th time, so I'm guessing that I wouldn't have actually moved out of halls by then, but I'm wondering whether academically I will have finished for the year.

Also, if perhaps I did have few things to tie up after that time, how supportive do you think the university would be if I told them about my situation and the oppurtunity that has arisen for me?

Thanks for any help you can give me :smile:
Reply 1
Hey,

I'm sure you'll be joining us in September, think positive!

My exams didn't finish until 13th June. Some people finish earlier and some later. I think the latest they go is about the 19th June. Lectures and that tend to finish a bit earlier, I had no lectures for about two weeks before my exams. It depends what subject your doing as well, some subjects finish more than others.

Not sure whether uni would be sympathetic. Depends what the opportunity is, how you go about asking, and how you've acted during the year i guess. If you've been good student and nice when dealing with the staff responsible for giving you leeway your chances are greater! My instinct would be they wont grant leeway. However, i may (and probably am!) completely wrong.

Sorry i've not been much help!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
It really depends on your subject. My last exam was 21st June...all exams are finished by 23rd June.
Reply 3
I finished lectures mid May and moved bk home then to work. Had only two exams - 3rd & 9th June, then was all done :biggrin:
Reply 4
hallucination
It really depends on your subject.

I will be doing English, if anyone can help me with that?
Reply 5
My flatmates did English and finished pretty late... but its just the exams that go on til then. If its something that you can take one or two days off from to do exams then it'd be fine as there arn't usually any lectures from week 5 or 6 depending on bank holidays and strikes etc
Don't forget, if you have enough confidence in yourself, you can just skip the summer exams and rely solely on the retakes in september. Otherwise the 5/6th of June is probably too early, I'm guessing you'll have exams up until about the 20th if you're doing english.
Is this big opportunity anything to do with the course? You should find out who the head of department is for English and e-mail them pleading your case and saying how beneficial this will be for your studies because.. blah blah blah. Hopefully they'll be understanding!
Reply 8
^ You think I should do that now before I actually get to the uni? Any ideas who to talk to anyone?
Yes, I think you should sort it asap, the more notice they get the more flexible they're likely to be.

Look on the Sussex website for contacts. Someone in admissions or the english dept maybe?